Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2018 3:00:59 PM EDT
So far no action here except an evacuation order.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 3:38:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Hope you all are okay.  My son flew out of ANC 10 minutes before it hit.  Have spoken to at least 20 people so far, no signs of significant injuries, yet.
I miss AK every day, but I never miss the shakin'

Thoughts are with you all.  I was freaking out.  So many I know up there.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#2]
This is scary. Ive been up here my whole life (27 years). This is the strongest one ive ever felt.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Place looks like Godzilla got ahold of it....and I wish the aftershocks would stop damn it...
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 7:36:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Place looks like Godzilla got ahold of it....and I wish the aftershocks would stop damn it...
View Quote
yeah my MIL works at Carrs eagle river. said some people were trying to loot.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 7:43:40 PM EDT
[#5]
All good over here in Wasilla off KGB (not close to vine). Let me know if anybody in the area needs anything.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 7:59:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Good here in Meadow Lakes, anyone need help holler.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 8:02:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok here  Lots of stuff hit the floor.Dogs freaked out, off kgb about a mile from vine
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 8:13:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

yeah my MIL works at Carrs eagle river. said some people were trying to loot.
View Quote
Seriously?
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Seriously?
View Quote
yeah i guess they drove off once my FIL showed up
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 8:26:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This is scary. Ive been up here my whole life (27 years). This is the strongest one ive ever felt.
View Quote
should have felt the one in '64 now that was a quake!
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 8:38:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
I figured this one was similar in size.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I figured this one was similar in size.
View Quote
waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy smaller one today....it's a log scale
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 8:59:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I am in Palmer all good here.   I was working on the 3rd floor of MatSu regional. Talk about some shaking, strongest one I have been in.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:13:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy smaller one today....it's a log scale
View Quote
interesting good to know still scared the bejesus out of me.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:13:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Nothing in Southeast. The Christmas one we had in 2012 was a 7.2 and it was fun.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:44:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Glad to hear from you all that u r safe
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 11:02:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Place is a mess on Pt Mac road, but no injuries. I have power (off grid) and heat. If anyone needs a portable battery powered propane heater I have one to loan.

Aviator
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 11:02:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 12:04:56 AM EDT
[#19]
The Wife and I are fine.  We lost the bedroom TV when it fell on the floor and a drawer followed it down and dead centered the screen.  Lots of stuff on the floor, but little of it broke.  Poor dog was having a rough day!

We just got power back a little while ago.  I got to run our emergency generator we bought in '14 but never ran.  Already had oil in it, added gas, a few pulls on the rope and we had power to the wood stove blower.  The rest of the day was spent trying to find extension cords and get things running.  Spent a lot of time picking lots of stuff off the floor.  By the end of the day we had enough heat in the house we could move some of it to the garage; had lamps on in the living room, had the TV going, and cooked dinner on the stove.  We powered the refrigerator before it lost any temp.  The freezer went from -2 to 19 before we plugged it back in; I thought it'd last longer.

We weathered the shake well, but it showed lots of holes in my preps.  Like the generator we never test run, same with its companion.  We had our house wired for a generator hookup, but never had the wires made to connect the generators to the house.  Extension cords were all hidden in the dark garage and took forever to find one to run here to there and then it was back to looking for another one.  Without having both generators running through the house breakers we couldn't run the well pump so we ran out of water.  Need more emergency lighting as well.

Glad we're not hearing of anyone being hurt!
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 12:11:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Safe here in the stinking desert.  Got a few IM's on facebook and linked in asking if I was OK....  

I just can't bear to update my profile.  There is no choice for Stinking Desert, other than Somalia.  If I can't be home, I don't care if I am living upstairs in Tijuana above the Donkey Show bar.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 3:07:02 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm a broke ass underpaid dog in the cog of life , but if anyone needs anything I'll do what I can to help.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 6:55:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Good here in Chugiak. Lots of cracks in the ceiling and walls and stuff falling over and breaking. If it was vertical, hanging on the wall, or on a shelf it's now on the floor. Heat and power came back on around 3pm. The dogs have been my 2nd and 3rd shadow all day following me around spooked. The aftershocks just keep coming and coming. Every time i start to get to back to sleep another one hits. Taking a dump in the dark and having aftershocks is not really my idea of a good time.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 9:21:24 AM EDT
[#23]
A good friend of mine lives in Wasilla, everyone's OK but the inside of his house looks like Seal Team 6 used it for a building clearing exercise!
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 9:50:47 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm out of the state for work but according to my roommate my house is ok.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
it was a 9.2 largest recorded in North America and second largest recorded in the world
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#26]
I was alone in my building at work on the second floor, at first I figured it was a normal earthquake but quickly thought "oh crap" and dove under my desk. The way the building was going I honestly thought it was the end. Immediately ran out afterwards to head home and must have been driving when the aftershock hit because I don't remember it. Building is trashed and work's cancelled through Wed. Driving through Anchorage with the power off and all of the fire alarms going off was spooky but despite how crappy Anchorage drivers are I was really impressed that everybody handled the intersections with no lights perfectly.

House is fine, some broken stuff but got it all cleaned up. Aftershocks kept us up all night. Wife works for Anchorage Fire and was at the EOC most of yesterday. Hit Oaken Keg this morning to stock up and topped off the gas tank. Been drinking beer in my man cave and checking https://earthquake.alaska.edu/earthquakes every time I think I feel something, which usually is just me being tipsy, or still nervous
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 7:44:11 AM EDT
[#27]
One broken glass in the kitchen. No damage to the building. Wife was scared.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 3:19:40 PM EDT
[#28]
It appears that those of us in the Mat-Su got off fairly easy.  Anchorage/Eagle river got hit hard!  This one was an eye opener for everyone, both in terms of no one killed, what we have done right and what we need to do to really get ready!
Lots of 'lessons learned'!
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It appears that those of us in the Mat-Su got off fairly easy.  Anchorage/Eagle river got hit hard!  This one was an eye opener for everyone, both in terms of no one killed, what we have done right and what we need to do to really get ready!
View Quote
You did get off easy..you should come clean my place just cause.... I agree, I think we are very lucky that no one died...I also think it could have been much, much worse....[beeer]
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:43:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
When stores are back to normal I will get a heavy duty natural disaster preparedness box together.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top