User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 3:13:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, but it has been 30+ years since.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 11:09:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Seen 2 or 3 in ten years. Seen lot more giant desert tortoises though (2 ft across the shell, easy). Thought it would be cool to have one for a pet, but I'm pretty sure it's illegal...
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 11:18:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seen 2 or 3 in ten years. Seen lot more giant desert tortoises though (2 ft across the shell, easy). Thought it would be cool to have one for a pet, but I'm pretty sure it's illegal...
View Quote
If the tortoise you saw indeed had a two foot shell length, it's likely an escaped or released Sulcata tortoise.
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 8:03:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Our dog sitter technically runs an animal rescue and has two such beasts.  I believe she said she has to be licensed for them.
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Seen 2 or 3 in ten years.
View Quote
Wife just called me at work, saying she just saw a Gila in the garage... guess I should be careful when I get home.
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 11:16:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Wife just called me at work, saying she just saw a Gila in the garage... guess I should be careful when I get home.
View Quote
Pics??
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#7]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-fQI6y94ak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZAZ2lkxZq8

I see them at work from time to time, usually three or four a year during the summer, right around monsoon season.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 3:46:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 11:26:02 AM EDT
[#9]
In the wash between badger springs and bloody basin. Bigger than the photo shows, he was bigger around than my calf, maybe 30" long. He hung around for a bit while I angled for photos then finally had enough and shot off into the grass.

Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#10]
31 years here, outdoors all the damn time, never seen one in the wild.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 9:10:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Used to see them very frequently around Apache Junction....before everyone moved there.  Can't remember the last time I saw one....late 80s?
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In the wash between badger springs and bloody basin. Bigger than the photo shows, he was bigger around than my calf, maybe 30" long. He hung around for a bit while I angled for photos then finally had enough and shot off into the grass.
View Quote
@DDEL I spend a lot of time in that area. Mind narrowing down the location? Cheers!
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 2:10:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

@DDEL I spend a lot of time in that area. Mind narrowing down the location? Cheers!
View Quote
Well start at badger springs, take that jeep road that runs along the ridge north parallel along 17, it'll dump you into the wash eventually. Head south down the wash on foot. Otherwise it's a 3.8 mile hike each way from badger to bloody. Fun wash to scout; javelina, M lion tracks, even a sidewinder left a cool trail across the sand. Of course that's all pre hunting seasoning in the peace of summer heat.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top