Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2021 8:52:01 PM EDT
Finally was able to get out of NY.

Only been down here one day and have to say this place already feels like home. Escape from NY if you can; the sooner the better. (and that’s being said from a guy whose family has been in NY since the 1640’s)

Sadly, I’m going to miss youse guys up there but will never forget the good times in the good company of NY arf-bros I’ve had. Y’all are good people.

If and when you’re traveling through Alexander County NC the beers are on me.

Link Posted: 7/17/2021 8:57:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Good for you!

Leaving your home is bittersweet but,  you need to be happy.

Congratulations.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#2]
God Bless you and good luck!  
I've got a Best Friend that lives Southwest of you...Mountain folks are the best!
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 8:56:02 AM EDT
[#3]
You will not miss ny at all... I have zero reason to ever visit ny again... Liberals have ruined a state..

Nice area you landed in..
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 9:32:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Congrats and best of luck with your new adventure in Free America!

Will the last Arfcommer to leave NewYorkistan please turn out the lights.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm flying to Oregon to free my brother at the end of the month.
Unfortunately he is only coming back here.
(But I get my brother back)

He's going to go Vermont or NH or Maine, but hasn't figured it out yet.

Congrats on the escape. Hopefully I get out one day.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 6:54:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Congrats.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 7:34:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Well good luck and let us know some particulars about the area such as medical facilities, LGS's, ranges, weather etc.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 10:40:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Medical.. unless its Duke Unv.. out of the Raliegh area.. It will be a mixed bag of better to ny or worst than ny..

Down here in wilmington is better than the hospitals in dutchess county... but compare to duke they are blah...

LGS many around for sure.. and most have class iii stuff...  ammo and toys are tuff because people shoot down here..  Same goes with hunting.. if you dont own your own land.. expect to pay 5,000 to 10,000 a year to hunt... unless you go public.. lots of public state and federal land..

weather... thats a mixed bag usually we get the fla weather i call it hot and humid for 3-4 months a year.. our winter ill call it... Lots of rain during that time...

Snow.. they do get snow but not a lot and doesnt stay long.. Tn gets hit harder than we do due to the mountains.. I asked people that live in the byson city area and they get some but not a lot...  

Ranges will be mixed bag again.. they have state ranges that are usually max 200 yard range.. or private clubs.. i belong to an County LEO one 100.00 to join and 70.00 after that unless you do 8 hours of work than its 35.. 200 rifle range you can shoot class 3 and up to 50cal us long as you prove you can keep the rounds in the impact zone.. two pistol ranges and a shotgun range..
open up 7 days a week expect sunday no center fire rifles..
thats about an hour from where i live.

15 min from my apartment is a state run 10.00 a day but your shooting thru a tube for rifles and its a max 200 yard range.. pistol is 50 yards and bow 3d course with 27 points i believe. open wed-sun closed during the holidays.

30 min is the marine base they shoot long range bolt guns once a month that is open to the public.

the key thing to remember is freedoms.. when was the last time you saw people in the back of a pickup truck in nys ?.. i would say i was like 15 that was almost 40 years ago.. down here don't care..

Everything is word of mouth to find the great places.. they keep it to themselves and nice but know your outsider until they trust you..

Link Posted: 7/20/2021 11:31:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Good luck and enjoy!
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 11:32:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Congrats.  I have 2 more years then I'm outa here.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 3:21:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Get the f out, and take more of those house seats with you!  
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Only been down here one day and have to say this place already feels like home. Escape from NY if you can; the sooner the better. (and that’s being said from a guy whose family has been in NY since the 1640’s)

Sadly, I’m going to miss youse guys up there but will never forget the good times in the good company of NY arf-bros I’ve had. Y’all are good people.

View Quote

Brain CONGRATS!

I'm farther south than you now... Left in November,

Maybe we should do a GUNS ALONG THE MOHAWK southern style?

Link Posted: 8/5/2021 11:01:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get the f out, and take more of those house seats with you!  
View Quote
That's my goal for 2030. Help New York lose even more seats. Of course with the surge of illegal immigration, New York may very well hold its own if the Democrats give blanket citizenship to everyone (or at least grant voting rights to non-citizens as some are proposing).
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 5:56:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Congratulations on the escape my family has been a bit longer then yours (Dutch settlers) but I can't wait to get the hell out of here now.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 9:19:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Congrats on getting out, Brain! Will certainly miss your company at Arf events.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 6:21:41 AM EDT
[#17]
going into my 6th year out.... Upstate SC is and has been my home since I escaped NY. most of my friends from arfcom meetups are scattered all over the south!  congrats on the exit!
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:59:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Brain CONGRATS!

Maybe we should do a GUNS ALONG THE MOHAWK . Roanokesouthern style?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brain CONGRATS!

Maybe we should do a GUNS ALONG THE MOHAWK . Roanokesouthern style?

fixt it fo y’all.

Brain,

Much congratulations!
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 10:21:02 AM EDT
[#19]
You should be receiving a "hello former neighbor" message from the state sometime in the near future. Story on WCBS here in NYC area talked about the NYS Tax Department aggressively going after former residents for back taxes and looking for verification that you have actually left. First time I have actually heard a news story about it. Have heard it here and from others on Facebook but was never something the MSM talked about.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 6:31:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You should be receiving a "hello former neighbor" message from the state sometime in the near future. Story on WCBS here in NYC area talked about the NYS Tax Department aggressively going after former residents for back taxes and looking for verification that you have actually left. First time I have actually heard a news story about it. Have heard it here and from others on Facebook but was never something the MSM talked about.
View Quote

I don't know anyone who's left that got anything like that.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, the only mail I get from NY at this point is trying to renew my driver's license. :) I got out a couple years ago to NC and after this bit of time, I have no regrets. This place is fantastic, and it suddenly feels like your government doesn't actively hate you anymore once you leave NY. Covid has unfortunately affected everyone, no matter where you live, but if it weren't for that, NC is the happiest place ever.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 6:10:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I don't know anyone who's left that got anything like that.
View Quote

I have a client with substantial net worth who moved to Florida from New York.  He has family and business interests in the area and consequently makes frequent trips to New York.  NYS Dept. of Taxation and Finance have been relentless in hounding him for NY income taxes.  They even went so far as to acquire his cell phone records to show when his phone was in or making calls in New York.  So no, this is not an urban myth.  The moral of the story is break all ties with NYS if you are ever lucky enough to leave.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 8:56:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have a client with substantial net worth who moved to Florida from New York.  He has family and business interests in the area and consequently makes frequent trips to New York.  NYS Dept. of Taxation and Finance have been relentless in hounding him for NY income taxes.  They even went so far as to acquire his cell phone records to show when his phone was in or making calls in New York.  So no, this is not an urban myth.  The moral of the story is break all ties with NYS if you are ever lucky enough to leave.
View Quote

Rush did many segments on how he was hounded.

https://www.quora.com/Why-was-New-York-able-to-audit-Rush-Limbaughs-taxes-even-when-it-was-clear-he-moved-to-Florida-and-would-owe-no-NY-state-tax

The first reply from link:

Rush Limbaugh made a lot of money when he was alive, which meant that he also paid a lot of income tax. It's not an overstatement to say that his decision to move to Florida immediately cost the state of New York millions of dollars, and cost the state 8 (or even 9) figures over the long haul. Obviously, that's a lot of money, an amount that could impact budgets. It's also the case that it's common for very wealthy people to claim residence in low-tax locations like Florida even though they wind up spending a lot of time “visiting” high-tax spots like New York or California.

Accordingly, it's not a surprise that New York wanted to be 110% positive that it couldn't get anything more from Limbaugh, because catching one big fish avoiding taxes could be the same as catching dozens or even hundreds of average people doing the same. If you're a wealthy person who changes residences or splits time between two or more states, you can anticipate that the tax man will scrutinize your filings very closely.

Link Posted: 8/29/2021 12:22:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Made the move from Long Island to NC back in October of 1996.  I still consider myself a New Yorker... but I most certainly found a home down here (I'm now just over the NC/SC line in Fort Mill, SC)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top