Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2020 1:51:04 PM EDT
5 years ago, I purchased a Cannon safe with an electronic keypad.   It went bad yesterday, and only a couple of the numbers will work.   (I have tried several new batteries) Which leaves me in a bind, because I can't get into it.

My quotes so far are:
50 - 100 to come out
250 -300 to drill open

Cannon is sending me a new keypad (not that I have a lot of confidence in their keypad).    Is the safe even "good" anymore after it's been drilled?

I'm leaning towards cutting into it myself, and putting the $$ towards a safe with a dial.

What would you do?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:31:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless I really needed to get into it, I'd wait for the new lock to arrive before doing anything. That takes the urgency/frustration out of it, for deciding what to do next. I wouldn't want a safe that's already been drilled, because it's a shortcut for bad guys and another place that can leak when putting out fires.

If you have the money and the space, maybe get a new one with a dial. If not, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I had a Canon safe with electronic lock, and it worked fine. I sold it with my old house, and bought a Liberty Fat Boy Jr with an S+G dial, and it messed up. I had to have them come out and replace the lock. (Still under warranty, so no charge).

It can go either way; it mostly depends on what you like.

Orscheln's is having a sale on safes right now, if you decide to look around;

https://www.orschelnfarmhome.com/hunting-fishing/ammo-gun-storage/gun-safes.html
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:44:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 5:00:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine got hard to turn, and I could feel it grinding inside.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 5:13:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Well dang,  I figured the mechanical would be bulletproof.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#5]
That's what people had told me.

Them;  Don't get another electronic; it'll fail!
Me;

Gets a mechanical dial, and it fails.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:36:38 PM EDT
[#6]
The code is not stored in the keypad, it's inside the safe.  Otherwise somebody could just cut the wires, and use their keypad and code to open the safe.  The keypad is nothing more than an input device.  So if it's truly just the buttons on the keypad that are messed up, a new one should solve your problem.

Not sure on Cannon, but on AMSEC, you just give the keypad a 30 degree turn, and it comes right off.  You can unplug it and swap it with another one no problem.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I wish it was as simple as just replacing the keypad, but my type of keypad isn't made anymore, so the one they are sending me doesn't plug in the same as the old one.   Cannon told me that I'll need to have a locksmith drill into it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wish it was as simple as just replacing the keypad, but my type of keypad isn't made anymore, so the one they are sending me doesn't plug in the same as the old one.   Cannon told me that I'll need to have a locksmith drill into it.
View Quote
Ahhhh, gotcha.

Does anyone else you know have the same model/period of keypad that you could borrow?  At least you could get it open then get the back plate off the door to replace.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:36:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I didn't realize that they weren't sending a direct replacement. I would try to find the right kind somewhere, then sell the new-in-box one to recoup the money.

https://mbausa.com/locks/safe-locks/electronic-safe-locks-and-parts/
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:10:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone happen to have a Lexam Keypad from a Cannon Executive Series safe that I could borrow for a few minutes?

Let me know your favorite beer, so I can have them ready for you!

It looks like this one:
Lexam keypad on Ebay
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:19:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I dont have that keypad but what happened to mine waa the cable between the keypad and internals went bad.  After messing with it, it finally opened once more and i was able to get into it.  After the whole mechanism with a securam safelogic xtreme.  It is an electronic dial with a dial backup.  Worked pretty good and easy to replace.

I have since got rid of that safe but the current owner hasnt had issues with it either.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:57:32 PM EDT
[#13]
It must be electronic lock week.  Mine took a dump this weekend.  Ordered a new on Amazon.  We'll  see if if works.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 8:14:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It must be electronic lock week.  Mine took a dump this weekend.  Ordered a new on Amazon.  We'll  see if if works.  
View Quote
I just talked to a buddy who had one take a dump last week (no idea of the brand, but I'm sure it was a cheapo).  He had the local locksmith come out.  Said locksmith messed with it a while, then ended up beating on it with a 3 pound hammer to get it open.  Buddy said it screwed up again a few days later.  Good luck OP.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That's what people had told me.

Them;  Don't get another electronic; it'll fail!
Me;

Gets a mechanical dial, and it fails.
View Quote
There are different quality levels of dials, just like cars.  Same with "safes," or as they're actually known, "Residential Storage Containers or RSCs."
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Did a Google search on 'defeat a cannon electronic keypad for safe' it was rather humorous.
With the risk of EMPs no electronic safes!

Be careful what you click on if you follow the search above.

Steve
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:43:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Did a Google search on 'defeat a cannon electronic keypad for safe' it was rather humorous.
With the risk of EMPs no electronic safes!

Be careful what you click on if you follow the search above.

Steve
View Quote
It is kind of eye opening to learn how little it takes to defeat the sub $1K box store safes.  I figure mine is keeping out the kids and lazy meth cookers.  Anyone with any real knowledge is getting in.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#18]
In my worthless opinion, and no I don't own one yet, this is the best RSC to have.

https://www.sturdysafe.com/
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 5:35:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
In my worthless opinion, and no I don't own one yet, this is the best RSC to have.

https://www.sturdysafe.com/
View Quote
I don't remember all the details, but there's always a big debate between those and AMSEC's BF line......which is better

I went with the AMSEC, since it was a large established company with local dealers/service (just in case.)  Plus when I was in EMS, all of our narcotic safes were AMSEC's and were built like little tanks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Ya i just replaced my safe with a study safe door.  Like it so far and that think is heavy af.  I think it weighed more than my old 26 gun cannon
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#21]
What area of Missouri are you in?
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 10:46:09 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm in Lee's Summit
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:35:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I don't remember all the details, but there's always a big debate between those and AMSEC's BF line......which is better

I went with the AMSEC, since it was a large established company with local dealers/service (just in case.)  Plus when I was in EMS, all of our narcotic safes were AMSEC's and were built like little tanks.
View Quote
Yeah, there's two sides of the fence between the brands.

But I think we can agree, either of them are better than the Chinese imports under whatever reband.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:43:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yeah, there's two sides of the fence between the brands.

But I think we can agree, either of them are better than the Chinese imports under whatever reband.
View Quote
My first safe was a Patriot Safe which was a Merlo.  They went belly up a few years ago.  It was a freakin joke of a safe and the fire rating was complete BS.  Like you said, the box is the same for all off them, they just have their own door, interior, and lock.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 2:39:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm in Lee's Summit
View Quote
McGuire Lock in northern Kansas City is another shop I would speak to if you would like another opinion. I have always had very good experiences with their services.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top