Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2018 10:59:28 PM EDT
Greetings Wyoming HTF. The wife and I are currently residents of the previously free state of Nevada but with the recent elections we are concerned about the direction of the state. We are interested in moving to a more solid conservative(leave me the F, alone) state and Wyoming is on the list. We both work in healthcare and Casper has both specialties that we work in. I’m just looking for input from those who live there regarding property, lifestyle etc. thanks in advance for at input.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 2:10:48 PM EDT
[#1]
My very conservative wife and I are also looking into a move to Casper, so this thread is of interest to us as well.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:40:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Where are you escaping from Shootr?
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 12:16:49 PM EDT
[#3]
AZ.

Doesn’t seem like anyone from Casper is on arfcom, eh...
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:11:30 PM EDT
[#4]
From Sheridan, not Casper, but Casper would probably not be my first choice in WY. The "windy city" is a fitting name for it. There's also a decent amount of drug activity from what I hear. That being said, it's still WY so leaps and bounds ahead of just about any state, regardless of city. Just my .02
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 3:56:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 7:25:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been in Casper 38 years.

It is a great place if you enjoy the outdoors, especially hunting and fishing.  We've got some of the best trout fishing in the world within 10 miles and there are deer, elk and antelope within an easy drive.  There is pretty much constant wind, moreso in the wintertime, which lasts about seven months.  There is a lot more culture around here in the last five years than there were in the previous 30, but don't expect a lot of community events.  Casper is just big enough that you can be anonymous, and just small enough that you don't get a lot of the big city problems.  You will end up driving to Ft. Collins or Denver if you want to see a concert, buy clothes in a store or eat a high end meal.

I know someone who moved up from Arizona about a year ago.  She tells me that it is very difficult to make friends here.  She says that we seem distrusting of outsiders and are slow to warm to them.  I get that.  Honestly, it's because so many people come here and are gone after one winter.  It's bad enough to chase most people away.

As far as shooting goes, there are a half dozen private ranges, as well as some public land outside of town.

What else would you like to know?
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 2:34:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been in Casper almost a decade. Its been good to us.

What exactly do you want to know ?
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 12:37:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like wifey and I are headed that way next month. Have a realtor already trying to find a home for us.  You’re getting two more super-conservatives in the beautiful state of Wyoming.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 1:45:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like wifey and I are headed that way next month. Have a realtor already trying to find a home for us.  You're getting two more super-conservatives in the beautiful state of Wyoming.
View Quote
Excellent.  If you have specific questions about a neighborhood, I'd be happy to try and answer them.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 4:23:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 12:02:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Looks like wifey and I are headed that way next month. Have a realtor already trying to find a home for us.  You’re getting two more super-conservatives in the beautiful state of Wyoming.
View Quote
Welcome.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Thank you for the ‘welcomes’ and offer of answering questions. We actually have a friend who has lived there most of his life who has been helping us greatly. So far our home search has been in the area around the Casper Country Club.  Any thoughts on that area?
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 4:59:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thank you for the 'welcomes' and offer of answering questions. We actually have a friend who has lived there most of his life who has been helping us greatly. So far our home search has been in the area around the Casper Country Club.  Any thoughts on that area?
View Quote
That entire east end is decent.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 10:16:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:05:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the information. Wife and I are planning a trip up in April or May to take a look around. We both work in healthcare so need to also find jobs in somewhat specialized specialties. Some of our decision to move will be dependent on home the Nevada legislature acts in 2019, if they go full tilt anti-gun/anti-freedom then moving is much more likely.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 2:08:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 8:36:29 PM EDT
[#17]
What NFA items are legal in Wyoming?
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 3:42:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What NFA items are legal in Wyoming?
View Quote
All of them.  Wyoming has no gun laws outside of federal gun laws.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top