Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2022 8:25:34 AM EDT
Does anyone know what they plan to replace the coal plants they're closing with?

They've shutdown all the ones in KY and look to close the one in Anderson in the next year or two  but i can't find anything on what they want to replace them with, only "other energy sources".
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:22:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#2]
<———————— Former TVA subcontractor(along with Dominion Energy, Duke Energy, KU/LGE)

TVA only had one coal fired plant in KY, Paradise. The rest of the KY coal fired plants are mostly, if not all, KU/LGE plants. KU did close the Green River plant, but there are several others around KY that are coal fired.

Bull Run is slated to close late next year. Other than it, there are 4 other coal fired plants in TN. TVA has talked about converting some to natural gas, but the conversion is not easy or cheap. Bull Run had the most finicky boiler in the whole system. It is a single boiler and constantly goes down. Restarts are not easy there, closing it down is no big surprise. The other coal fired plants can up production and can help make up shortfalls. Closing any others will be awhile IMHO, at least until TN enacts more stringent laws regarding them much like NC has done.

As far as “green energy” that’s pretty much solar or wind. Hydro is green so to speak but is very limited and tied to the weather as the other two with the exception hydro has to be concerned about flood protection and navigation minimums for the TN river system. Green energy is expensive and for that matter is really not cost effective. Sure, it’s a “feel good” substitute but there are way too many variables to make it a much more consistent and viable power source.

The rest of power production via TVA is nuclear. There’s 3 units at Browns Ferry, 2 at Sequoya, and now 2 at Watts Bar with the second unit coming online just a few years ago. I find it hard to believe any new nuclear units will be considered unless these new smaller experimental reactors pan out and even then that’s a small maybe.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 5:31:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 6:00:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How come restarts are so hard at the coal plants? Just curious
View Quote

Not all are hard, it’s that Bull Run in particular is. The way it was explained to me was that BR being a very large single boiler is what made it difficult. Always was.

To be honest, my experience was primarily civil and dealing with coal ash.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 6:40:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 8:00:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Gotcha, sounds like a design flaw at that unit. I've run small steam boilers and just wondered about the hard startups.
View Quote

Probably is, BR was the last coal fired plant built if I’m not mistaken. It went online back in the 60’s. It is the only one in the TVA system like it.

Link Posted: 5/17/2022 9:22:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Being unique doesn't necessarily mean you're better lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gotcha, sounds like a design flaw at that unit. I've run small steam boilers and just wondered about the hard startups.

Probably is, BR was the last coal fired plant built if I’m not mistaken. It went online back in the 60’s. It is the only one in the TVA system like it.

Being unique doesn't necessarily mean you're better lol

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:56:11 PM EDT
[#9]
TVA is looking at SMR as part of their decarbonisation plan to produce cleaner energy.
Clinch River SMR
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:11:34 PM EDT
[#10]
CCP plants- Combined Cycle Plants, gas plants that turn turbines and pull heat of the exhaust to create stem and turn more turbines.  There has been many built in the last 5 years....more are coming.
Solar-  Private solar companies are clamoring to build large industrial scaled solar farms and selling it on the bulk system.
More pump storage is likely coming.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 4:19:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
< Former TVA subcontractor(along with Dominion Energy, Duke Energy, KU/LGE)

TVA only had one coal fired plant in KY, Paradise. The rest of the KY coal fired plants are mostly, if not all, KU/LGE plants. KU did close the Green River plant, but there are several others around KY that are coal fired.

Bull Run is slated to close late next year. Other than it, there are 4 other coal fired plants in TN. TVA has talked about converting some to natural gas, but the conversion is not easy or cheap. Bull Run had the most finicky boiler in the whole system. It is a single boiler and constantly goes down. Restarts are not easy there, closing it down is no big surprise. The other coal fired plants can up production and can help make up shortfalls. Closing any others will be awhile IMHO, at least until TN enacts more stringent laws regarding them much like NC has done.

As far as "green energy" that's pretty much solar or wind. Hydro is green so to speak but is very limited and tied to the weather as the other two with the exception hydro has to be concerned about flood protection and navigation minimums for the TN river system. Green energy is expensive and for that matter is really not cost effective. Sure, it's a "feel good" substitute but there are way too many variables to make it a much more consistent and viable power source.

The rest of power production via TVA is nuclear. There's 3 units at Browns Ferry, 2 at Sequoya, and now 2 at Watts Bar with the second unit coming online just a few years ago. I find it hard to believe any new nuclear units will be considered unless these new smaller experimental reactors pan out and even then that's a small maybe.
View Quote
TVA had two in KY.   Shawnee is still running outside of Paducah.    

Also, to another posterCumberland City is the baby of the bunch and was finished around 1972ish I think.     Not sure when it is planned to be decommissioned, but for some reason 2033-2035 is coming to mind.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Also, to another posterCumberland City is the baby of the bunch and was finished around 1972ish I think.     Not sure when it is planned to be decommissioned, but for some reason 2033-2035 is coming to mind.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
< Former TVA subcontractor(along with Dominion Energy, Duke Energy, KU/LGE)

As far as "green energy" that's pretty much solar or wind. Hydro is green so to speak but is very limited and tied to the weather as the other two with the exception hydro has to be concerned about flood protection and navigation minimums for the TN river system. Green energy is expensive and for that matter is really not cost effective. Sure, it's a "feel good" substitute but there are way too many variables to make it a much more consistent and viable power source.

The rest of power production via TVA is nuclear. There's 3 units at Browns Ferry, 2 at Sequoya, and now 2 at Watts Bar with the second unit coming online just a few years ago. I find it hard to believe any new nuclear units will be considered unless these new smaller experimental reactors pan out and even then that's a small maybe.

Indeed you are correct about Shawnee, I was there at one time and had a brain fart on that one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top