Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2022 7:19:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone that lives in the area really does need to attend, and do what they can to push for this to happen.

I will be attending the meeting and I would like to do a meet-up at a nearby establishment after the meeting.
Once there ..... I will buy a you a beverage of your choice.

PM me for info to meet-up before/after the meeting.

Link Posted: 3/6/2022 10:55:55 PM EDT
[#2]
What occurs at an Open House? Is there something where we sign in as for the project, or will we need to sit through 2 plus hours of Karen's complaining about it to speak in favor?
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 9:53:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Interested. Would beat driving out past the airport like I do now.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 1:28:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What occurs at an Open House? Is there something where we sign in as for the project, or will we need to sit through 2 plus hours of Karen's complaining about it to speak in favor?
View Quote

It has a lot of community support already that I am seeing on social media. People are talking about it that I didn't even realize had an opinion on the matter. Our recently retired police chief is showing up to speak in favor of it. And he is very well liked. Current mayor is also going to be in favor of it.

@IdahoPCCinc as long as I can get out of work early enough I'll be there. PM me here or the telegram chat.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It has a lot of community support already that I am seeing on social media. People are talking about it that I didn't even realize had an opinion on the matter. Our recently retired police chief is showing up to speak in favor of it. And he is very well liked. Current mayor is also going to be in favor of it.

@IdahoPCCinc as long as I can get out of work early enough I'll be there. PM me here or the telegram chat.
View Quote

Calley?
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 10:40:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Calley?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Calley?

Yes
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 10:50:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Dupe
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 1:18:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes
View Quote

Pat’s a good guy.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 3:52:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 12:07:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Good showing, packed council room. I'd say it was something like 95% in favor and 5% not. Those not in favor have houses nearby or like to ride horses on the land. Several comments on improving the shotgun ranges to include more infrastructure like throwers.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 12:16:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 9:32:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
AAR / Post-Open-House Observations:
• The shooting community has a lot of grey hair. Boomers out in force.  
Seriously, the place was packed, and the demographic was overwhelmingly "pro" shooting sports park.

There were some legitimate "Hey, that range is 1700 feet from my driveway" concerns, and there were the expected comments about increased traffic, noise abatement, equestrian trail users getting kicked out of their traditional areas, etc. However, almost all concerns were still couched with "I'm gun friendly, I shoot, but... y'all gonna scare my horses and block my driveway." kind of themes.

I would say that almost everyone with negative waves seemed to be unclear on where the park is to be located. All the people that were giving stinkeye think it's their backyards in the original Homer Rd. location, but it's been moved to Willow Creek & Aerie Rd. area. See map:
https://i.imgur.com/e84Swjg.jpg

What I don't think the anti's got, is that the status quo is "people can shoot on BLM land in any direction, at any time, with no particular backstop or rules." The proposed range facility will at least get everyone shooting in the same away direction, with safety berms, attempts at noise abatement, and increased safety. Shrug. Or we could go back to just free shooting at midnight on the BLM land that abuts that one angry guy's backyard.

Notes:

• Range is nice: small, more private-feeling bays so you're not on a large, free-for-all line... emphasis on calling ranges cold affects fewer people.
• Shotgun sports areas are envisioned, but there's no stands or throwers, it's BYO right now. A bunch of people commented that fixed, permanent stands/throwers would add to the safety and permanence of it. I don't shoot shottys, but agree that people setting up janky throwers ad hoc isn't the way to go.
• Rifle ranges are limited to 150 or so, due to the new location, that's about as good as it gets, so I won't complain, but commented to do what they could to make longer ones.
• There's proposal for police to have their own training bays with a separate gate. Police agencies would pay the city for use, so that money-injection would help fund the rest of the range.
• It's supposed to be manned, with key-card controlled access. This means "user fees". Probably sell yearly memberships as well as daily rates.

Anyone wanting to make suggestions and/or submit an "In Favor" comment, here's the Post-Open House Survey for Eagle residents.
View Quote

I would agree with your comments. I'll need to drive out there, but I'm not sure how much I like the orientation of the shotgun setup facing the road. I also think there should be more bays. Extending out to 300 for rifles would be nice, but overall I think it does a good job pulling people off of BLM and into a safer area. Bonus would be being able to reserve the LE range for private training.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:59:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 8:44:47 PM EDT
[#14]
It has to be better than that shit show of Pickle Butte in Nampa.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It has to be better than that shit show of Pickle Butte in Nampa.
View Quote

Pickle Butte. Heh.

Pickle in the Butte...
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 1:27:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm happy for you guys. The only range within 20 miles of me is a private range that requires you to be an NRA member.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 12:37:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Eagle's proposed 80-acre 'shooting sports park' contested by community

Shooting Sports park now making rounds on local news.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 2:41:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gotta love that biased-media, doing biased-media things:
"Eagle's proposed 80-acre 'shooting sports park' contested by community"

Umm... did they mean to say "supported by over 60% of the community" like the survey actually showed?

"While dozens of people showed up to meetings this spring in opposition of the park, several others supported a controlled, convenient place to shoot."

...anyone that was at the meeting knows it was about 75-85% pro-shooting range. (I think more, but I'm being generous.) Either way, the survey showed more in favor. But apparently KTVB decided to flip that fact to make it sound like only "several others" were for it, but dozens were opposed.

Also cringed at "Signs line Willow Creek Road in Eagle, reading ‘build the gun range away from our homes, our horses and our hills.’
Where exactly *would* they like to build a NIMBY gun range? Because those hills are indeed, "our hills" as in "they're for the use of all of Eagle's residents, not just rich horse hippies that apparently think those public lands are their private hills."

I don't like stepping in horse poop when I'm out shooting in the great outdoors, but I'm not trying to ban their horses from the area.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 2:37:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Umm... did they mean to say "supported by over 60% of the community" like the survey actually showed?

"While dozens of people showed up to meetings this spring in opposition of the park, several others supported a controlled, convenient place to shoot."

...anyone that was at the meeting knows it was about 75-85% pro-shooting range. (I think more, but I'm being generous.) Either way, the survey showed more in favor. But apparently KTVB decided to flip that fact to make it sound like only "several others" were for it, but dozens were opposed.

Also cringed at "Signs line Willow Creek Road in Eagle, reading ‘build the gun range away from our homes, our horses and our hills.’
Where exactly *would* they like to build a NIMBY gun range? Because those hills are indeed, "our hills" as in "they're for the use of all of Eagle's residents, not just rich horse hippies that apparently think those public lands are their private hills."

I don't like stepping in horse poop when I'm out shooting in the great outdoors, but I'm not trying to ban their horses from the area.
View Quote

Oh the moment I saw it land on KTVB, I knew it would have an anti gun slant to it right away. Contested to me would be 50/50 for and against. This clearly isn’t like that.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Oh the moment I saw it land on KTVB, I knew it would have an anti gun slant to it right away. Contested to me would be 50/50 for and against. This clearly isn’t like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The real amusing part is the nearby homeowners contesting don't live in Eagle.  They live in unincorporated Ada county.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:14:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There weren't even a dozen people opposed at the meeting :/ It made me remember, I grew up a bit on an Air Force Base. 4 Squadrons of F-16s. You get used to the noise, and a range is much more amicable and "nicer" to live with than a bunch of jets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top