Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2018 8:37:46 PM EDT
I just moved to SC for work, and got my SC drivers license yesterday. They took my GA drivers license, now I only have the SC license. Did I effectvily forfeit my GWL functionality?

Lapse of planning, I know...

Did I also forfeit my GA hunting license?

I will get my SC CWP, but this state is dumb and I have to do a class and shit...
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the work position permanent or temporary? If temporary, why did you change D/L?

Where is your residence located, Ga or SC?
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:00:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the work position permanent or temporary? If temporary, why did you change D/L?

Where is your residence located, Ga or SC?
View Quote
Permanent.

SC.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:30:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm pretty sure once you are a permanent resident with a new drivers license your old ccw is invalid.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 9:59:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure once you are a permanent resident with a new drivers license your old ccw is invalid.
View Quote
Yep. You need to grab a quick class and get a new one from SC
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Is SC and GA reciprocal now?
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 1:46:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is SC and GA reciprocal now?
View Quote
http://www.sled.sc.gov/Reciprocity1.aspx

Thanks to the efforts of a SC local legislator in North Augusta SC.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 1:54:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Awesome!   I haven't been in SC in a few years
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just moved to SC for work, and got my SC drivers license yesterday. They took my GA drivers license, now I only have the SC license. Did I effectvily forfeit my GWL functionality?

I will get my SC CWP, but this state is dumb and I have to do a class and shit...
View Quote
dalyman72,
No dumb move on your part at all.  You did not forfeit your Georgia Weapons Carry License.  Your Georgia Weapons Carry License is good for 5 years regardless of where you move.  It is not cancelled or suspended in any way.  Check out the expiration date on it.  Until that date, you can use it to carry in Georgia anytime you visit.

Now, I have a caveat.  Once you establish residency in South Carolina, your Georgia license will no longer be accepted in South Carolina for carry.  It is the same here in Georgia for residents moving here from other states.  We enacted protections giving new residents 90 days to carry after moving here to Georgia to give them time to apply for a new Georgia license.  I do not know whether South Carolina has any such period, so apply for your South Carolina license as early as possible.

I hope this helps.

Your Georgia license is still good.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 2:31:32 AM EDT
[#9]
You should purchased ur lifetime hunting in Ga before you moved..
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You should purchased ur lifetime hunting in Ga before you moved..
View Quote
You're right, I really fucked up there. I even have family land to hunt
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:45:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
dalyman72,
No dumb move on your part at all.  You did not forfeit your Georgia Weapons Carry License.  Your Georgia Weapons Carry License is good for 5 years regardless of where you move.  It is not cancelled or suspended in any way.  Check out the expiration date on it.  Until that date, you can use it to carry in Georgia anytime you visit.

Now, I have a caveat.  Once you establish residency in South Carolina, your Georgia license will no longer be accepted in South Carolina for carry.  It is the same here in Georgia for residents moving here from other states.  We enacted protections giving new residents 90 days to carry after moving here to Georgia to give them time to apply for a new Georgia license.  I do not know whether South Carolina has any such period, so apply for your South Carolina license as early as possible.

I hope this helps.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

dalyman72,

I hope this helps.

@Malum-Prohibitum Glad to see you are still around.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 12:10:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks!  I had a difficult time finding my password for a while . . .

The AR15.com log-in is based on email, and since it won't accept gmail my login is based on a work email that has not been active for a decade . . .  took me a while to figure it out.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks!  I had a difficult time finding my password for a while . . .

The AR15.com log-in is based on email, and since it won't accept gmail my login is based on a work email that has not been active for a decade . . .  took me a while to figure it out.
View Quote
Pretty sure in you account setting you can update the email info to a current one. My original was a comcast email my current is a work email. I dont remember how I did that fix 10 yrs ago now.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:05:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Pretty sure in you account setting you can update the email info to a current one. My original was a comcast email my current is a work email. I dont remember how I did that fix 10 yrs ago now.
View Quote
2tom2,

I looked but could not yet find this feature.  I will try again.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:43:17 PM EDT
[#15]
If you go top right to the profile icon the spot to change it is under "contact information".
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#16]
That worked, thank you!
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 12:21:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
dalyman72,

I hope this helps.

View Quote
I did not know this. Is it in a code section anywhere?
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes.  OCGA 16-11-126(e)(2).

Any person who is not a weapons carry license holder in this state and who is licensed to carry a weapon in any other state whose laws recognize and give effect to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a weapon in this state for 90 days after he or she becomes a resident of this state; provided, however, that such person shall carry the weapon in compliance with the laws of this state, shall as soon as practicable submit a weapons carry license application as provided for under Code Section 16-11-129, and shall remain licensed in such other state for the duration of time that he or she is a resident of this state but not a weapons carry license holder in this state.

https://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/ga-code-detail/?title=16&chapter=11§ion=126
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top