Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2018 6:56:23 PM EDT
Shot a bear yesterday. Flying out of Bangor Saturday afternoon.  Was told my meat would be ready but find my own dry ice.   Checked 6 places so far with no luck. Flight time with delay is 7 hours so a crappy cooler and regular ice wont work.  Open to any and all suggestions.  Cell signal is not present at the lodge where I'm staying for att so I'll be driving down the road to check this thread tomorrow.  Thanks in advance!

Eta. Got a call from butcher.  Meat is ruined. Not sure at this point of the guide service didn't keep the cooler running or the butcher didn't have the cooler cold enough.  Was quartered and in the guides deep freeze in a few hours.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 9:14:05 AM EDT
[#1]
You could try Getchell Brothers in Brewer.

http://getchellbros.com/blog/products/

207-989-7335
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 9:15:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn, you updated when I was posted. Sorry!

How much did it weigh?
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 5:34:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Damn, you updated when I was posted. Sorry!

How much did it weigh?
View Quote
Butcher is saying 350ish.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 5:37:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Now I'm being told the hide is ruined too.  I was going to do a half mount.  I've spent almost 4k on this hunt.  Opinions ? No promises on a kill but after tipping the guides and then following the outfitters recommendations on what to do, using their deep freeze etc I think they should offer something like a hunt next year.  I'm super pissed.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Was it a guide somewhere off of route 9, the Airline?
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 5:23:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow... in for more info for sure.
That sucks OP.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 2:27:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Was it a guide somewhere off of route 9, the Airline?
View Quote
No.  Near 95. If he doesnt make things right I'll happily post his info.  Otherwise I want to give him the opportunity to make things right with me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#8]
@akjeff

Any update?
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 11:22:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
@akjeff

Any update?
View Quote
@savage_winchester

The taxidermist called me yesterday and said all but the skull is ruined.  Hair was falling off into his hands when he was trying to work it.

Should the outfitter have left the meat and hide/head in trash bags and then put them directly into a deep freeze that only runs partially during the day? I'm starting to think this is the reason my trophy and meat are ruined.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 8:58:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I have no idea.

Is the outfitter going to make things right though?

Sounds like something went very wrong.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 6:02:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have no idea.

Is the outfitter going to make things right though?

Sounds like something went very wrong.
View Quote
I left a message and am awaiting a call back.  I know signal is rough so I will give him a few days then drop him an email and call again. If he doesnt respond then I'll go from there.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 8:36:47 AM EDT
[#12]
first week of the multi part moose season this week, I would wait to hear till next week, its a gap week.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 9:28:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Any update OP?
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Vessel services in Portland sells dry ice. For future reference. They also sell regular ice by the pound. I think 600lbs is the minimum, but if you ever need to fill a truck with ice, that's the place to go

Edit: just read that update. That really sucks. What a waste. Not your fault though. Hopefully things go better for you next time.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 2:40:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 8:18:37 AM EDT
[#16]
After arguing with the owner, he agreed to let me come do a bait hunt.   We argued some more and he agreed to let me come back and do a moose hunt in October.  They will be taking care of the hunt/lodging/food (like before which was all included in my package price) and I have to get my airfare, rental car and pay for my hunting license.  The biggest issue I have but seems to be the norm is you hunt with other hunters you have never met.  The guides rules made my feel super safe but who takes the first bear? Kinda a crap shoot.

ETA. I was tired.  Dog bear hunt.  Not moose
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top