Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2018 10:00:28 PM EDT
From Texas during the week of Christmas. Do I need snow chains and do I need 4? I'm driving a Honda Odyssey.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 7:57:23 AM EDT
[#1]
December weather in the mountains can change on a dime. Going through the Wolf Creek Pass on snow and ice can be a “come to Jesus moment” whether you have chains or not. Most of the time chains are mandatory for CMV only but can be mandatory for ALL vehicles. Plus they can shut down the pass if it gets too treacherous. I have a 2 door Jeep JK and I have come down the pass in 1st gear only due to snow and ice.That’s how bad it can be. The flip side to closing the pass is the fact that Wolf Creek Ski resort is at the peak and 160 is the lifeblood for Pagosa so it won’t be closed for long. Chains? Yes I would take them as “insurance “ like concealed carry “better to have and not need than need and not have “! See you at the Spa

Check out the webcams for road conditions :

Cotrip.org

If you are coming the southern route through Durango I’m told routes 160 and 84 can be a challenge due to open spaces and drifting however I’ve not driven either in the winter.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:20:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Slightly OT, but this place is great to stay at in Pagosa if you get the chance:

https://elktracebedandbreakfast.com/
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#3]
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/Passenger%20and%20CMV%20Chain%20Law%20Requirements.pdf

Carry chains. Don’t do it because of the law, just don’t be that guy.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 10:27:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the links everyone. Guess I'll go buy 2 pair of chains. Everyone seems to recommend that.

I'm looking at these. It'll suck spending almost $200 for something I'll more than likely use once in 5 to 10 years but better safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:11:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the links everyone. Guess I'll go buy 2 pair of chains. Everyone seems to recommend that.

I'm looking at these. It'll suck spending almost $200 for something I'll more than likely use once in 5 to 10 years but better safe than sorry.
View Quote
That is what I have used on an SUV I had and currently use on a minivan.

Install can be a touch challenging with cold hands, so have some gloves that give you dexterity and be patient and take your time if you end up having to use them.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#6]
no, you don't need chains

you need all season tires (minimum) not summer tires.  (if you do have summer tires than yes, you do need chains of some type)

and you need brains to know when to stop early

pagosa Springs is on THIS side of Wolf Creek pass.  Coming from Texas you're probably coming over 160 from Walsenberg.  The only pass there is LaVeta.  which can get snow but usually just gets wind.

It it turns to total shit, well you just stop early for that day and get a hotel room  And go again the next day after the storm has moved out.  It is not worth it.

Really, front wheel drive cars 30 years ago were amazing advancements over one wheel wonders and now everyone thinks you need 4wd/AWD all the time and tires today are way better than they were 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:48:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Just get one pair of chains.  Nobody chains up all 4 wheels.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 1:10:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
no, you don't need chains

you need all season tires (minimum) not summer tires.  (if you do have summer tires than yes, you do need chains of some type)

and you need brains to know when to stop early

pagosa Springs is on THIS side of Wolf Creek pass.  Coming from Texas you're probably coming over 160 from Walsenberg.  The only pass there is LaVeta.  which can get snow but usually just gets wind.

It it turns to total shit, well you just stop early for that day and get a hotel room  And go again the next day after the storm has moved out.  It is not worth it.

Really, front wheel drive cars 30 years ago were amazing advancements over one wheel wonders and now everyone thinks you need 4wd/AWD all the time and tires today are way better than they were 30 years ago.
View Quote
Pagosa Springs is west of Wolf Creek Pass.

OP, if Wolf Creek Pass is closed or un-passable for you, you can fall back to South Fork, but your lodging options are VERY limited in South Fork.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 6:16:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Somewhere Northwest of Lubbock.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Safe journey. I’m in Florida now. Beach was cold AF, only fit  for this-

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 9:52:43 PM EDT
[#11]
You should be ahead of this. You’re gonna love hitting the hot spring with snow falling.

...WINTER WEATHER ON THE WAY FOR CHRISTMAS TRAVEL After a dry end to the weekend, unsettled weather will return to
eastern Utah and western Colorado on Christmas Eve as the first in
a series of storms moves into the area. By daybreak Christmas Eve,
showers will increase across the mountains and spread into
western Colorado valleys. Snow showers will persist along the
Continental Divide throughout the day on Monday. Travel will be
impacted over all mountain passes. Snow accumulations through
Monday evening will be anywhere between 3 to 7 inches for the
northern and central Colorado mountains with 3 inches or less over
the San Juans.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 4:07:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You should be ahead of this. You’re gonna love hitting the hot spring with snow falling.

...WINTER WEATHER ON THE WAY FOR CHRISTMAS TRAVEL After a dry end to the weekend, unsettled weather will return to
eastern Utah and western Colorado on Christmas Eve as the first in
a series of storms moves into the area. By daybreak Christmas Eve,
showers will increase across the mountains and spread into
western Colorado valleys. Snow showers will persist along the
Continental Divide throughout the day on Monday. Travel will be
impacted over all mountain passes. Snow accumulations through
Monday evening will be anywhere between 3 to 7 inches for the
northern and central Colorado mountains with 3 inches or less over
the San Juans.
View Quote
I'll be in Pagosa on Sunday. I had to stop in Santa Fe. Too tired. Driving from Austin was long.

Yep the wife booked a place that had an out door hot spring. Should be a fun week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top