Page Hometown » Ohio
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/18/2020 8:24:10 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:43:23 AM EDT
[#1]
"Guesstimate".

Word of the year, that.

Want to bet if they "blame" this on social distancing? Frame it as a spectacular success? Anything else is pretty much political suicide.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:58:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Are we peaking yet... still waiting for a peak. Anywho... wonder if she ran Ohio's numbers through the UK model that ended up being a giant shit show?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:05:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:10:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:17:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

This bears repeating...
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#6]
“2 more weeks!”
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You're not allowed to pick on Dr. "Grantwriter"! Direct your criticism towards DeWine.
View Quote

Come on though, it's cute to watch him puff up like the big tough guy, swooping in to protect her from all of the meanies who are just too backwards to comprehend her genius.  He looks like he really believes it...
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh, I remember it very well.

Called B.S. at the time.

Still waiting on those numbers.

We should bring back all of the  the Spanish Torture devices on politicians and their handlers such as her.

Do it for science.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#10]
The only numbers that matter are the numbers who require hospital care. Otherwise it is just someone who got sick and will get better eventually
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:01:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Somewhere between all of her "ummm"s and "uh"s she is still trying to convince us the numbers are wrong and Neil Ferguson was right.  We are still a bit shy of his 2.2 million deaths in the US prediciton, but, ummmm uhhh it uhhh could um uh still uh happen.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By safe1:

ETA: While I agree, I need to look into this further.
View Quote

To be fair at some point after there was a ruling that muddied this, liberal academics and legals state it doesnt apply to healthcare crisis, but thats typical....
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:10:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I love how these tyrants violate our rights and tells us it's "for our own good". They all have proven they do not know what they are talking about.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:54:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I said at the very begining, these orders need built in end dates, otherwise they'll just go one forever.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:39:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I love how these tyrants violate our rights and tells us it's "for our own good". They all have proven they do not know what they are talking about.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#16]
30 Cases, 1 death here, Preble Co. We border Montgomery which is Dayton.

To the west side is Union Co. IN, they have 8 cases and 0 deaths.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:22:29 PM EDT
[#17]
She was drunk the whole time.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:43:45 PM EDT
[#18]
The irony is that she issues licenses to kill babies.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:45:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Today is Fran's Birthday!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:04:09 AM EDT
[#20]
The sad thing is she actually has a fan club.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:57:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By AirRaceFan:
The sad thing is she actually has a fan club.
View Quote

She will run for Governor as a D and likely win.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 12:44:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Ridgeline:

She will run for Governor as a D and likely win.
View Quote

Naw, I'm betting a U.S. senator run....
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 1:08:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The sad thing is she actually has a fan club.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 4:02:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 5:25:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That is the problem.  She actually is a genius with a scientific mind.  She will never be satisfied with an answer until there are no more possibilities to explore.  To reach a point of good enough is simply antithetical to her entire way of thinking and everything she has been taught in her formal education.  The only prudent thing in her mind is to continuously wait for more information.   If this were a laboratory setting, she would be correct, but it is the real world with real people, not a laboratory.

There is a reason engineers and scientists are terrible business people and when you find one that isn't, they can make huge $$$.  The reason is that if they can keep from making an A or B decision, they will until there is simply no more information upon which to make that decision.
View Quote

Naw, I'm pretty sure she's a diversity doctor thats functionally retarded........
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That is the problem.  She actually is a genius with a scientific mind.  She will never be satisfied with an answer until there are no more possibilities to explore.  To reach a point of good enough is simply antithetical to her entire way of thinking and everything she has been taught in her formal education.  The only prudent thing in her mind is to continuously wait for more information.   If this were a laboratory setting, she would be correct, but it is the real world with real people, not a laboratory.

There is a reason engineers and scientists are terrible business people and when you find one that isn't, they can make huge $$$.  The reason is that if they can keep from making an A or B decision, they will until there is simply no more information upon which to make that decision.
View Quote
You just described my PhD supervisor perfectly. And some of my clients
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:48:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo! Coming from a family of engineers (as an entrepreneur, I didn't make the cut...) they can ONLY make a choice outside of those boundaries if there is a hard deadline to meet. But at this point, Dr. Doom is in charge of the timeline as well....so we know where that will lead...
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:40:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:25:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Now we are left with our beloved governor.  I can applaud him for acting early and I've no doubt his actions did slow the spread of the virus.  However, this action was taken with the intent of giving our medical facilities the time they needed to prepare for treating mass infection and of course this was an area outside of his expertise.  I don't blame him for deferring to the expert, however, the stated goal has been reached and he should take charge again.  Whether predictive models used were correct or not is a matter for history.  Decision makers act based upon the best information they have at the time, and what is known now is different than what was generally believed 3 months ago.  He is however stuck in the Karen zone.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Now we are left with our beloved governor.  I can applaud him for acting early and I've no doubt his actions did slow the spread of the virus.  However, this action was taken with the intent of giving our medical facilities the time they needed to prepare for treating mass infection and of course this was an area outside of his expertise.  I don't blame him for deferring to the expert, however, the stated goal has been reached and he should take charge again.  Whether predictive models used were correct or not is a matter for history.  Decision makers act based upon the best information they have at the time, and what is known now is different than what was generally believed 3 months ago.  He is however stuck in the Karen zone.  
I have thought that we were overreacting on a societal level since the beginning of all of this.  That said I understood why the shut downs could make sense to "flatten the curve" because I could have been wrong about my assessment at the time (I've been wrong about stuff once or twice).  What I find so infuriating is the flat out refusal to admit that maybe this thing isn't as deadly as we originally thought by folks like Acton and DeWine.  Clearly it's pretty darned contagious but it doesn't kill or hospitalize the VAST majority of people who get it.  There has been no reaction to that by the powers that be here in OH.

I also agree that somewhere along the line the goal for the shutdown shifted from "flattening the curve" to "until we have a vaccine/cure" which are very different parameters.  I wasn't happy about the initial shut-down but I accepted it.  I'm flat out angry about the shift in goals and refusal to adapt the model to what we've learned over the last couple of months.

Quoted:

Karen is a very powerful creature and also very loud.  Karen took " Buy time " to mean " Keep us safe ".  Karen is all about being safe and Karen votes enmass.  Karen works for a school district, health department or HR department or some non profit where she oversees lesser Karens and a bunch of Biffs who also want to be safe.  Karen is still collecting a check because Karen is a key voting block and she will gladly stay home to stay safe and prove to everyone that she makes prudent and good decisions that are best for all.  
 Nice one!  
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Food for thought:

I followed a link in a news article that the president of my company sent out to an article from MSN Money (of all places) that ranked states shutdown/virus reaction from least restrictive to most.  I didn't get through the article as it was one of those ones where you have to click through slides to see the next paragraph and there were 55 slides.  

I did find this map that they made to be pretty interesting though.  It's weird to me that we ranked worse than MI but I think that some of that has to do with the dates when restrictions went into effect.  We were one of the first if I remember right.

Way to go Utah and South Dakota!!!
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:47:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Karen is a very powerful creature and also very loud.  Karen took " Buy time " to mean " Keep us safe ".  Karen is all about being safe and Karen votes enmass.  Karen works for a school district, health department or HR department or some non profit where she oversees lesser Karens and a bunch of Biffs who also want to be safe.  Karen is still collecting a check because Karen is a key voting block and she will gladly stay home to stay safe and prove to everyone that she makes prudent and good decisions that are best for all.  

From the Governors perspective, this is the Kobiashi Maru.  There is no good decision.  If he stays closed, business and the economy suffers.  If he goes against Dr. Doogooder and opens, Karen will eat his lunch if a whole bunch of people start getting sick.  The problem is that not being an expert, he does not know if a whole bunch of people will likely get sick or not and he's stuck deferring to experts.  The experts of course can't reach a decision because they don't have enough information.  Rinse, repeat.

View Quote

I appreciate the analogy, but his first mistake was to engage in the situation to begin with.

As I'm sure you know - In the annals of Star Trek, the cadets are given the choice of whether to engage in 'rescue' or to leave the stranded ship to it's own fate (most choose to engage). Its a character test of the commanding officer. Is the character of the commanding officer such that he/she is willing to potentially sacrifice the entire crew of their ship (as well as the Maru) in order to 'virtue signal' that they are willing to break the rules (in this case the neutral zone treaty, breaking of which could lead to war) to save everyone "for the greater good" of everyone only within eyesight of the commander ; OR do they have the moral character to know that they must 'sacrifice' that which has already happened (Maru drifting into neutral territory) in order to save the crew that he/she are actually in charge of as well as not facilitating a possible war, thereby doing the actual "greater good" for those who are not actually there to witness the act and yet will then vilify their choice.
It really comes down to the hubris of the cadet being tested. Are they willing to take the personal character hit of not 'saving that which cannot be saved' or forcing the entire crew to pay for their commander's unwillingness to accept a personal defeat.

DeSwine's first mistake was engaging in the situation to begin with and bringing government power into a situation that it was not appropriate for. The Karenwaffe was going to scream and 'attack' anyways - the difference being that they now had the force of government virtue signaling behind them to bolster their temper tantrum because of his choice to engage. He was unwilling to make the character choice of being hit with a minor political weapon (corona infections that are totally out of the control of government, not matter what was tried), so instead he sacrificed the entire state (unemployment skyrocketing, economic crashes, industry sector collapses, spikes in other medical & mental health deaths/outcomes, etc..) in order to virtue signal that he's really a nice/good guy and is just trying to help.

His political career is as good as dead, the least he could do would be to try to not make it worse and right some of the wrongs he's done, but he instead sits on the sidelines staring at it all wondering how did it all go so wrong and doubling down on the mistakes that got him here in the first place.
I think in many respects I agree with your take on the matter, but what we're witnessing isn't so much a lack of knowledge (the knowledge is NEVER fully formed, and by god, government is THE LEAST ABLE entity to actually use/move on that changing picture and so never should have been engaged in the first place), but a lack of actual leadership. Knowing the limits of government and its usage, and letting the private market do what it does best: pivot and innovate new solutions to new problems - and do it in near real time with laser precision, not at the glacial speed of government wielding a sledgehammer/nuke.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

...His political career is as good as dead,...
View Quote

I disagree, he will be loved just like our last governor, you know the demokrat Kasuk...
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 12:15:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Food for thought:

I followed a link in a news article that the president of my company sent out to an article from MSN Money (of all places) that ranked states shutdown/virus reaction from least restrictive to most.  I didn't get through the article as it was one of those ones where you have to click through slides to see the next paragraph and there were 55 slides.  

I did find this map that they made to be pretty interesting though.  It's weird to me that we ranked worse than MI but I think that some of that has to do with the dates when restrictions went into effect.  We were one of the first if I remember right.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/155462/Freedom_Map-1427560.jpg
Way to go Utah and South Dakota!!!
View Quote

IIRC bars & restaurants were ordered closed on March 15. The "stay home" order followed a week later.

I agree Ohio had fewer overall restrictions than Michigan. They had more store closures and crazy limits on travel within the state.

There's a javascript browser add-on called "deslide" that helps with some of those annoying web stories. When it works it extracts all the slides to a single page. Often doesn't work though
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 12:28:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I disagree, he will be loved just like our last governor, you know the demokrat Kasuk...
View Quote

......yeah.....I hope you're not right.....
Well, in my household his name will not be spoken with joyous occasion of "Saving Us From The Great Corona!!"
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 12:44:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Well, in my household his name will not be spoken with joyous occasion of "Saving Us From The Great Corona!!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes he is garnering praise from libtards, but when it comes to it, why would they vote for a "Democrat-like" Republican when they can just vote for a real Democrat?

I think he is alienating conservatives, so I'd say he's just left with the squishy middle and the other Republicans who think "he's just doing the best he can with what he was given"
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 7:03:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

That idiot thought he had a shot at POTUS, didn't even win primary in his own state.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:04:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Fuck Amy Acton.

She was given way too much power for an UNelected official.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:19:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Fuck Amy Acton.

She was given way too much power for an UNelected official.
View Quote

Too much power for ANY official
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Now we know how all those aborted babies feel, don't get a say in anything, and shut down like you don't matter.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 9:18:31 AM EDT
[#40]
It's getting harder and harder for me to see this ongoing "shutdown" as anything other than purposeful deception.

This is a longer article but worth the time it takes to read:
Governor DeWine Suppresses Data Disproving COVID-19 Policies

From the article:
The administration has engaged in the practice of intentional selection of data to present to Ohioanscitizens who were promised data transparency and policies based on the best science.

To be clear: why DeWine is doing what he is doing is not as important right now as how he is doing what he is doing. But input about why he is handling the crisis this way is not in short supply.

A person who has consulted with the ODH, who requested anonymity, talked twice with high level officials inside the Ohio Department of Health and the DeWine administration. On both occasions, the advisor asked why data is suppressed and presented with a bias toward worst-case scenarios. On both occasions the advisor was told the message is packaged and delivered to change how people feel and think about Coronavirus. The end goal is to build compliance with the new normal.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/28/2020 9:34:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's getting harder and harder for me to see this ongoing "shutdown" as anything other than purposeful deception.

This is a longer article but worth the time it takes to read:
Governor DeWine Suppresses Data Disproving COVID-19 Policies

From the article:

View Quote

Very interesting and well written.

Never heard of that station, looks like it might be a decent source for news.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 9:42:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Very interesting and well written.

Never heard of that station, looks like it might be a decent source for news.
View Quote

I became aware of that reporter through the Bob Frantz Radio Show on AM 1420 in Cleveland.  He is the one who has been asking probing questions to DeWine during press conferences for a while now.

It looks like the station is out of Mansfield and I really don't know anything about them but at least they're willing to allow their reporters to ask difficult questions and explore ideas counter to the accepted narrative.  I think that we used to call that journalism...
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I became aware of that reporter through the Bob Frantz Radio Show on AM 1420 in Cleveland.  He is the one who has been asking probing questions to DeWine during press conferences for a while now.

It looks like the station is out of Mansfield and I really don't know anything about them but at least they're willing to allow their reporters to ask difficult questions and explore ideas counter to the accepted narrative.  I think that we used to call that journalism...
View Quote

I've been blasting his Twitter feed with the link to the article as much as i can untill my account gets banned... everyone can help if they want...
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think you've just made a strong case against ANY medical professional EVER being elected to hold a public office. And I'd agree with you. Most medical professionals may be great in laboratory settings, or when asked to handle the medical aspect of a public health emergency - but they are relatively incapable of leading because most of the time they miss the bigger picture.

Acton, Fauci, and others might give good advice when they tell us to cough on other people, but that's about as far as it goes for them. We elected leaders to act with the benefit of everyone in society in mind - and generally speaking that means they have a duty to minimize the total impact to society when things like a pandemic hit us. Minimizing deaths is one aspect of this, but not the total picture. As our governor, DeWine has the duty to make decisions that take all aspects of society into account when making decisions - impact on rights, economy, schools/education, etc., etc. So far, he's utterly failed in that regard - as he's pretty much let Acton run amok with her myopic tunnel vision at the helm.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:27:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I think you've just made a strong case against ANY medical professional EVER being elected to hold a public office
View Quote

That's nonsense
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:13:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Yes.  It made sense to close the schools and perhaps large public gatherings as they are primary vectors for disease transmission.  Everything else, not so much.
View Quote

Closing schools made no sense.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:55:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yes.  It made sense to close the schools and perhaps large public gatherings as they are primary vectors for disease transmission.  Everything else, not so much.
View Quote

Then why isn't there more rampant disease spread during normal times, when EVERYONE is shoulder to shoulder at fairs, concerts, etc?
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top