Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2019 8:13:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 8:18:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I have had a permit since it was required to sit in Bill Franklin's office and tell him why I needed a gun and feel it should not be forced....that being said, I would still renew every year as I have done for years.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#2]
"I think it's important that our law enforcement have some overview of who is able to legally obtain a gun," Taylor said.
View Quote
Ahh, wouldn't a felon in possession be a charge?
Or, because that is Federal they can't act on it?
So, just pass a state law saying a felon cannot posses, problem solved.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 11:31:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 11:35:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 2:29:06 PM EDT
[#5]
At the very least, I wish that the legislature would standardize the CCW format and PRICE across the state between counties. Too much variation right now, IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is a glaring example of the lack of local leadership to know that hearings like this are taking place.

Yet no one but the gun banners know it's going on.
View Quote
Yep, had no clue this was going on.   I would have tried like hell to make it too.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This is a glaring example of the lack of local leadership to know that hearings like this are taking place.

Yet no one but the gun banners know it's going on.
View Quote
There's another hearing next Wednesday. This one was supposedly cancelled due to time constraints.

Guys, you need to join the Facebook group.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 12:45:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There's another hearing next Wednesday. This one was supposedly cancelled due to time constraints.

View Quote
Link...and info about where to meet?
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 2:36:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Link...and info about where to meet?
View Quote
https://www.facebook.com/events/2280754255319760

Next Wednesday, State House, 8AM
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Quoted:

View Quote
A pro gun group using bf.

No wonder they're failing.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks, I'll try and make it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 4:07:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A pro gun group using bf.

No wonder they're failing.
View Quote
Having a presence on social media isn't the problem. Nearly every pro-gun rights organization does and uses it to send out alerts.

Their problems are multiple. They have 30k members on that group but less than 200 actual members. Which equates to fuck all in funding and relying on volunteers. So far, 20 people in that group are saying they'll show up at the hearing. MDA won't have that problem.

We've discussed the other problems the group has in the other thread, but now you have the date and time of the hearing.

Wednesday, 4/17, Statehouse, 8am
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Time to sign up for Mom's Demand Action's emails.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 8:49:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 8:18:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#16]
JMHO, I think a good compromise would be to standardize the yearly cost statewide to $10.00, as well as the permit format. All monies would go to the state, which would reimburse counties for operating costs to issue the permits. Any surplus would go the state Policeman's Benevolent Association (or whatever it's called). That way, control of this is taken from the counties, where most of the permit revenue is not regulated and is akin to a "slush fund" for whatever use. This also prevents scenarios like the recent Jail Food Funds misuse investigation. Again, JMHO.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 3:25:15 AM EDT
[#18]
SB4 has been moved to the Tourism committee and is scheduled for a vote Tuesday.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 1:12:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
SB4 has been moved to the Tourism committee and is scheduled for a vote Tuesday.
View Quote
So for the idiots here like myself what does this mean?

I found the few comments interesting from this site...

https://legiscan.com/AL/bill/SB4/2019
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 3:53:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

So for the idiots here like myself what does this mean?

I found the few comments interesting from this site...

https://legiscan.com/AL/bill/SB4/2019
View Quote
It means that it will likely pass and go to the Senate for a full vote.

The committee is headed by Del Marsh, who spoke at the Bamacarry conference this year.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 4:25:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It means that it will likely pass and go to the Senate for a full vote.

The committee is headed by Del Marsh, who spoke at the Bamacarry conference this year.
View Quote
Wow, so this is excellent news.   I'll wait until it passes, but I'd love to learn the parties most responsible for helping in order to donate to them.

Thank you as well for the information!
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Wow, so this is excellent news.   I'll wait until it passes, but I'd love to learn the parties most responsible for helping in order to donate to them.

View Quote
It passes the Senate every year, the problem is the House committees.

The aberration this year is MDA showing up. They gained ground when Doug Jones was elected and outside money started flowing in. After this session is over we honestly need to either reorganize BamaCarry or start a new group.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 6:31:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The aberration this year is MDA showing up. They gained ground when Doug Jones was elected and outside money started flowing in. After this session is over we honestly need to either reorganize BamaCarry or start a new group.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mueller really needs to investigate how much Russian Interference helped Doug Jones.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 2:26:58 PM EDT
[#25]
I popped over occasionally because I live so close to the AL/MS state line and this thread caught my eye.  Antis always say about the same things whenever gun rights are extended.
 "The streets will run red with blood."  "Wild, wild West."  "Next thing you know they'll be letting grade schoolers carry guns."

Godspeed, hope you guys get it.  Keep up the good fight.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Its dead, Jim.  Again.

Link

IMHO, I still think the way to do it is to lower the permit costs to no more than $5 a year.  After a few years, when the Sheriff's are weened off the money, then put forth a bill for constitutional carry.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 9:04:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Two Republicans cucked out. Randy Price and David Sessions.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 9:15:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Two Republicans cucked out. Randy Price and David Sessions.
View Quote
Unbelievable

Thanks for the updates though
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 8:09:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 12:06:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Next go around my thoughts is there should be a try at a limited constitutional carry and an enhanced pistol permit which allows more carry rights such as carrying at political events.  Something that will make it clear people are still going to want to buy it.  Ban on all vehicle carry has to come out though, it's blatantly unconstitutional.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 2:38:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Honestly, there needs to be a sit-down organized among the state-level organizations, the NRA, and unaffiliated members here. We need to work together and figure out how to move forward.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 9:14:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Honestly, there needs to be a sit-down organized among the state-level organizations, the NRA, and unaffiliated members here. We need to work together and figure out how to move forward.
View Quote
I said in a post above that, IMHO, we're going to have to wean the sheriffs off the money before we can get constitutional carry.  In other words, make it so the loss of revenue is not significant enough for them to oppose consititutional carry.  Here in Autauga County, the permit is $20 a year.  If only 2000 people out of the 55,504 people in my county have pistol permits, that's $40,000 a year that the sheriff has coming in.  They'll fight tooth and nail to keep that revenue stream.

The gun grabbers get what they want because they are going for baby steps that they believe will eventually lead to a complete gun ban.  So, lets use the same tactics.  My idea is to reduce the permit cost to no more than $5 a year.  Since they have screamed for years that it isn't about money, agree with them.  Then after several years, introduce a constitutional carry bill.

The idea of an enhanced permit is a good one, especially since Mississippi already does it.

And either way, I do agree that all the state level groups, NRA and interested parties need to come together.  This year, the legislature is already showing they will do what they want, regardless of how we the voters feel.  We need to make sure they realize that if they want to pass a gun control bill, it would be the equivalent of sticking their political careers in a wood chipper!
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#33]
I'd like to see a united coalition of gun rights activists have an adult sit down with Alabama Sheriff's Association folks to try and find some conceivable way to make a long term change that doesn't hurt law enforcement, but gets them out of the perverse incentive game to license civil rights.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 9:38:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I said in a post above that, IMHO, we're going to have to wean the sheriffs off the money before we can get constitutional carry.  In other words, make it so the loss of revenue is not significant enough for them to oppose consititutional carry.  Here in Autauga County, the permit is $20 a year.  If only 2000 people out of the 55,504 people in my county have pistol permits, that's $40,000 a year that the sheriff has coming in.  They'll fight tooth and nail to keep that revenue stream.

The gun grabbers get what they want because they are going for baby steps that they believe will eventually lead to a complete gun ban.  So, lets use the same tactics.  My idea is to reduce the permit cost to no more than $5 a year.  Since they have screamed for years that it isn't about money, agree with them.  Then after several years, introduce a constitutional carry bill.

The idea of an enhanced permit is a good one, especially since Mississippi already does it.

And either way, I do agree that all the state level groups, NRA and interested parties need to come together.  This year, the legislature is already showing they will do what they want, regardless of how we the voters feel.  We need to make sure they realize that if they want to pass a gun control bill, it would be the equivalent of sticking their political careers in a wood chipper!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately, I am at the point where I agree with you that an incremental approach towards Constitutional Carry would be best.  Maybe instead of waiting on the Legislature to actually pass something, there could be a legal ruling in our direction

I am not a lawyer, so I am interested to see if a legal eagle sees a potential avenue through the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment applying to any pistol permit carrier in the 66 counties that are more expensive than the least expensive county.  Whether right or wrong, Alabama still has some stigma associated with it from the Civil War and Civil Rights era, so maybe a legal challenge via one of the Reconstruction Amendments would be fruitful; especially is there is any data correlating higher fees in counties that have a higher population or percentage of blacks.

A legal ruling knocking the state wide cost of a pistol permit down to the lowest amount offered by a county would be a big hurdle to clear, IMO.

At the national level, the best 2A gains have been made in the Judiciary.  Maybe we should work to do that at the state level as well.  That would also allow entities like the SAF and FPC to get involved.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 1:14:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Unfortunately, I am at the point where I agree with you that an incremental approach towards Constitutional Carry would be best.  
View Quote
IMHO, I think this is the only way we're going to get it.  The frontal attack had failed for many years now, and I don't see it working anytime soon.

I emailed Tredway after the bill's failure in 2018, recommending he take an incremental approach.  I never got a response, and apparently, he must not have seen my email....

Edit:  Maybe after Sheriff's can't pocket inmate food money, maybe some journalist will start looking into where pistol permit monies go?
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 7:48:07 AM EDT
[#36]
I will be joining you in 5 years when I retire so I'm counting on you all to get this done!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top