Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2020 8:49:54 PM EDT
I see the warning signs and looking to go to where part of my wife’s family is from. Looking at WV, how is the current market for work?
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 11:39:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I see the warning signs and looking to go to where part of my wife’s family is from. Looking at WV, how is the current market for work?
View Quote

Depends on your field and the location.  There are some pretty good ones in some parts.  Some parts are harder to find Good work. https://www.indeed.com/m/jobs?l=West+Virginia
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#2]
What profession?
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 12:54:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Automotive.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Automotive.
View Quote

Sales or wrenching on 'em?
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 10:31:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Winchester plenty of dealers

Woodstock va has big city dealers moving in

Front royal more big money going into dealers

Martinsburg plenty of dealers

Cumberland has a good dozen dealers

Look for a place In. Capon bridge or wardensville or paw paw
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 11:56:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Huntington / Barboursville is going through huge growth right now.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#7]
That is good to hear for jobs, but I need to live outside the city, already drive to the city to get to work so that is not a big deal. I just hope it is a conservative state that my research tells me it is.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Automotive.

Wrenching though eventually want to get out once established. I am big into fishing, shooting, hunting of particular game and it is where my wife’s grandfather lived (I think Fairview was most recent, Point Pleasant long ago) and was also into that as well. Hoping for this to be my last move so I can finish raising the kids and then enjoy nature away from dumb fuck liberals (what Arizona is turning into... ).
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:14:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wrenching though eventually want to get out once established. I am big into fishing, shooting, hunting of particular game and it is where my wife’s grandfather lived (I think Fairview was most recent, Point Pleasant long ago) and was also into that as well. Hoping for this to be my last move so I can finish raising the kids and then enjoy nature away from dumb fuck liberals (what Arizona is turning into... ).
View Quote

I81 corridor is supposed to boom over the next 20-30 years.  You could get a decent amount of land west of it that borders or is close to a WMA and not spend a ton of cash, but still be within an easy drive of good medical facilities in Winchester, VA or even Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, which is something to consider as you age.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:07:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That is good to hear for jobs, but I need to live outside the city, already drive to the city to get to work so that is not a big deal. I just hope it is a conservative state that my research tells me it is.
View Quote

We don't have cities here.  Really, all are towns by the definition of the term.  Most are spread out pretty good.  And, in WV, you really have to commute to get to anything.  Rural property is cheap.. often $1K per acre or less.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 8:47:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I was a dealership wrench for 20+ years in WV. Even the dealerships are seasonal here. There are some slow times if you are working flat rate so be ready for that. If you are planning on starting your own business, figure on repairing lots of older 4wds that have been beat to death coon and bear hunting. I got lucky and 17 years ago got a job in the garage for a utility company that furnished my tools and paid for any training I needed. Age and bad joints are catching up with me, so I switched to equipment operator a couple years ago. Helps to have some backup skills to earn a living. I haven't seen a Joe/Hoe campaign sign in a 20 miles radius around my AO, but some of the larger towns have a few liberal idiots scattered about. Hunting and fishing are a way of life here, whole state almost shuts down in November for gun deer season. Be ready to join a club to get access to good hunting acreage though. Constitutional carry state and my yearly gun range dues are $25. I love it here.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 3:27:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was a dealership wrench for 20+ years in WV. Even the dealerships are seasonal here. There are some slow times if you are working flat rate so be ready for that. If you are planning on starting your own business, figure on repairing lots of older 4wds that have been beat to death coon and bear hunting. I got lucky and 17 years ago got a job in the garage for a utility company that furnished my tools and paid for any training I needed. Age and bad joints are catching up with me, so I switched to equipment operator a couple years ago. Helps to have some backup skills to earn a living. I haven't seen a Joe/Hoe campaign sign in a 20 miles radius around my AO, but some of the larger towns have a few liberal idiots scattered about. Hunting and fishing are a way of life here, whole state almost shuts down in November for gun deer season. Be ready to join a club to get access to good hunting acreage though. Constitutional carry state and my yearly gun range dues are $25. I love it here.
View Quote

Good to know, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Move to Fairview...definitely enjoy nature out there!
The Harry Jones Range is there someplace, one of the
few 1000 yard ranges in N central WV.
Close to University Toyota/ Mitsubishi/Mercedes Benz
of Morgantown,  they are always looking for good techs.
Dan Cava in Fairmont is a better bet.

Do you know diesel at all?  Ever work on big trucks?
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Move to Fairview...definitely enjoy nature out there!
The Harry Jones Range is there someplace, one of the
few 1000 yard ranges in N central WV.
Close to University Toyota/ Mitsubishi/Mercedes Benz
of Morgantown,  they are always looking for good techs.
Dan Cava in Fairmont is a better bet.

Do you know diesel at all?  Ever work on big trucks?
View Quote
No big trucks/semis. My expertise is purely automotive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top