Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2020 10:46:25 AM EDT
Asking for a friend. Anyone here have experience/knowledge regarding getting a pardon or expungement (and restoration of firearms ownership) for a disorderly conduct with domestic violence conviction? Subject is 60+ y.o., conviction was 8-10 years ago and subject has an otherwise clean record.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#1]
The Lautenberg Amendment does allow restoration of rights, but that is left to the convicted person's state of residence. A preliminary consultation with legal counsel would determine what is proper procedure for restoration of rights here in Wisconsin.
Gary
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:02:28 PM EDT
[#2]
It won’t be cheap or easy.  But give Grieve Law a call.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 6:16:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
and I believe Kubiak in Appleton also might be of help.

Back in the first days of this insanity some folks did not know they were pleading out charges like "Disturbing the Peace" and having a "Domestic Component" added to the charge...here they are 25 yrs later not being able to possess a firearm even with clean records prior to the charge and since.

My buddy found out when he went into a gun store he had bought a shotgun at a few months before only to be rejected and no one anywhere in the state would or could tell him why...

As advised above I have begged him to go to an attorney pay the money and go to court...hopefully he will one of these days.

He has missed a lot of deer hunting with us over the years...and he loved hunting...and target shooting...and I lost a great shooting buddy.

Might have good news here...Craig Kubiak took his case and just got another gentleman back his rights...

Craig Kubiak @ Bollenbeck-Fyfe law firm in Appleton
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 8:33:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
BTDT not very helpful. But also not entirely their fault. I was informed that expungement will not restore firearms rights, only a Governor's pardon will. And; per the application for pardon: only felony convictions will be considered. The attorney that I spoke with, not Atty. Grieve, seemed unaware of that and a bit confused as to whether the pardon board would consider a misdemeanor conviction. Her advice was to send in the application and see what they do with it. I would like to find someone with actual experience in a matter like this before blindly sending the application because, per the atty.; one cannot re-apply for 18 months after a rejection.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 12:10:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
BTDT not very helpful. But also not entirely their fault. I was informed that expungement will not restore firearms rights, only a Governor's pardon will. And; per the application for pardon: only felony convictions will be considered. The attorney that I spoke with, not Atty. Grieve, seemed unaware of that and a bit confused as to whether the pardon board would consider a misdemeanor conviction. Her advice was to send in the application and see what they do with it. I would like to find someone with actual experience in a matter like this before blindly sending the application because, per the atty.; one cannot re-apply for 18 months after a rejection.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you think Evers will pardon anyone to have their gun rights restored, unless maybe, just maybe, you are of a certain demographic, is nuts. Hell, Walker wouldn’t even do it.

In fact, I thought the Pardon board was dismantled by Walker. At least that is what a friend of mine who has been working with an attorney to restore his rights told me.

On another note: Look into the recent IL SC ruling that ruled DV convictions don’t mean indefinite loss of 2A rights.

Before that I believe there was a MO case of a felon charged with possession & the judge said he paid his debt to society & had kept his nose clean since, give him back his guns. Might want to look into that as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top