Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2018 11:58:00 PM EDT
I'm finally getting beyond .223/5.56, and buying new brass cases ammo is getting pricey. Specifically, I'm getting into 6.5, in both Grendel and Creedmoor.

I was wondering if anyone in the area reloaded? I'd like to ateast start getting a ballpark figure on what it'd be to get into it, and I know I'll have a million questions better asked face to face.

So, if you reload, and wouldn't mind spending some time explaining to me and or showing me the hows and whys, let me know!
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 7:52:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Many questions addressed here

If your in T'ville I'm about 30 min north of you. My reloading bench has been in disarray for a couple years now so all I would be able to show you is a cluttered mess with nothing bolted down though. I only have a single stage RCBS, no fancy progressive stuff or electronic powder measures or scales, very basic. Fits my needs which was something that I would enjoy doing that was productive.
If your doing this to save money, you will have to figure out what your time is worth vs front money starting costs. Progressive presses are considerably more than a single stage and even more depending on how many calibers you will be loading for, but they save time by doing 4 to 5 actions in one lever pull. Single stage is one case and one action per pull.
And I am no expert on this stuff at all.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 9:01:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is where to start >>> The ABCs of Reloading: The Definitive Guide for Novice to Expert

If you currently buy ammunition to shoot, start saving your brass (if you haven't already started).  Sort it by headstamp.  Brass can be a costly component to buy, it's nice if you already have some by the time you start reloading.

There are several reasons why folks reload...
1) It saves $ &/or allows you to shoot more for the same $.
2) It allows you to have a deeper understanding and connection with your hobby (shooting).
3) You can produce ammunition of higher quality than you can buy.
4) You can produce ammunition that is not available on the market today or is rare &/or expensive.
5) You can produce ammunition that you custom design for a specific purpose.

The reason I mention this stuff is that it will have an effect on decisions you will make about equipment you will be buying.  Think about what you are trying to accomplish before you buy equipment.

Get the book, do some reading, ask questions as needed, have fun!  

PS: 2 other forums here that have "reloading" as their central topic:
General reloading HERE.
Reloading for precision rifle HERE.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm up near Daytona and reload 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creedmoor & 6mm Creedmoor regularly.  Just loaded some 6mm and Grendel ammo yesterday. I run an LNL AP and a LNL Classic single stage. Trimming and measuring,  most of my tools are LE Wilson.

Got any questions let me know. I'll try to help if I can.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I’m in Sanford, been reloading for 30 years .

But I spend 1/3 of my life sitting at a Firehouse in Mims, just north of you.

I’d be more than happy to have you drop by the firehouse for a few hours of face to face conversation if you like, subject to interruption by Call, of course.

IM me if you are interested. ok
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 6:28:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in the T-ville area.

I have the tendency to hot load 5.56 ammo.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:52:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in Pt St John, just south of T'ville- been reloading for 45+ years and load about 30 or so calibers.

IM me anytime.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 12:43:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you all!

Life threw my a bit of a curve ball yesterday, so it'll probably be a while, but when I have the time again I'll be reaching out. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#8]
When you get back, ask yourself if you are reloading bulk for general shooting or primarily for accuracy or benchrest.
For benchrest (better accuracy) you could get by with single stage press which will be a cheaper entry point.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top