Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/13/2020 9:36:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:50:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Seen them in their usual hidey-holes in SWVA on 77 and 81.  Don't know if they are actively being active or just waiting for a wreck.

Consult Waze for intel.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:02:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:35:30 PM EDT
[#3]
This is true.

However, are you trying for a Bonnevile Flats type run, or are you looking to slice and dice through traffic using the brake, accelerator and twitchy lane changes?

Either way blows out the carbon,  right?

Can you dip into enemy territory to avoid the BS 80+ VA reckless charge?

564 and 664 Monitor-Merrimac in Tidewater allows for one or two eyes on recon passes before you make your thunder run.  Can you scout a long straightaway with easy on/off ramps to check for Smokey before you commit?

ETA: Wish your friend good luck and we love GoPro footage or GPS data.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 12:21:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I was talking to the owner of the shop where I get all my car work done. He told me that the 1st Sergeant at the VSP Leesburg office said that all of the Troopers in Loudoun County had been advised to make traffic stops only for serious violations (DUI, etc).
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 6:30:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 6:44:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I saw about five troopers sitting in crossovers on 95 the other day between Fredericksburg and Richmond.  A few out of state cars were going considerably over 80mph.  The troopers didn’t move.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 11:16:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 11:27:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I know of a place where I can guarantee no VSP... Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/14/2020 11:28:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 12:53:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I’m thinking about something roughly 100mph faster than that.  
View Quote

Tisk tisk Professor.

Make sure you share the go-pro footage of your ride with us.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 1:35:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Because of my job I'm driving Rt 66 - I81 into WV and into MD about 4 times a week and I do see troopers but they are not going after anyone
Have not seen a single traffic stop and the weigh stations are always closed
I've been told by multiple local officers that they aren't making any traffic stops unless it's really something dangerous
and also they are told to do as much as possible without getting out of their vehicles
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 7:30:18 PM EDT
[#12]
It's iffy. I know out my way (85 and 58 area) troopers are slacked up not doing anything.

A friend of mine on Facebook shared a VSP post that showed the ya tote somebody a ticket for going over 100mph a few days ago. I would say anything over 90-100 they will get you....so get a spotter in front of you errrrr, your friend before he goes wide open. Post videos
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#13]
VA/TN state line here. VSP is stopping lots of speeders on I81, so don’t come down this far with that nonsense
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 11:26:30 PM EDT
[#14]
The problem is ticket is a significant revenue source for a lot of areas. Red light cameras probably working overtime now issuing tickets and sending them out to folks hoping they'll pay. Now that all the schools are closed, a lot of cities had previously put stop arm cameras now they're probably trying to get folks who previously had tickets to pay up.

I'm also guessing parking tickets are being issued like crazy now.

However, I know an excellent way to get out of any ticket now. If you get pulled over for speeding, tell the officer that you heard they were losing revenue and you wanted to do all you can to help your city collect revenue from tickets. Hopefully he'll have a good sense of humor and let you off with a warning.

I have heard they are not pulling people over unless you do something major (reckless driving, DUI, etc). 911 calls are still open to anything as far as I know.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 8:03:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The problem is ticket is a significant revenue source for a lot of areas.
View Quote

One thing to remember when talking about VSP is they are writing tickets under the state code so the state gets the money.  The county officers and sheriff's deputies write tickets under the county code so the county gets the money.  The VSP tickets and court dates are processed through the courts in each county.  The county pays the courtroom electric bill and the county funds the local deputies doing security at the court but the counties don't get the revenue money from the VSP tickets.  Not a huge incentive for VSP to be filling up the county courtrooms.  David
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 9:27:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks.

If relatively few people are on the roads, then Waze might be unreliable.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seen them in their usual hidey-holes in SWVA on 77 and 81.  Don't know if they are actively being active or just waiting for a wreck.

Consult Waze for intel.

Thanks.

If relatively few people are on the roads, then Waze might be unreliable.  

I hear that if you make a test run or two at normal speeds and then flip around and open it up, chances that you will be caught are less

If you had  friends they could run ahead and behind you at slightly above speed and block for you and you can take turns. Not that I would know anything about it
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Track?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know of a place where I can guarantee no VSP... https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/181794/gps_jpg-1366916.JPG

Track?

I think all tracks are officially closed, and I know that a place like Summit depending on the course, the neighbors might complain.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 10:45:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Make sure your friend wears his Hawaiian shirt and ballistic helmet so that he can use his celebrity status to avoid any potential tickets
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 11:01:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The problem is ticket is a significant revenue source for a lot of areas. Red light cameras probably working overtime now issuing tickets and sending them out to folks hoping they'll pay. Now that all the schools are closed, a lot of cities had previously put stop arm cameras now they're probably trying to get folks who previously had tickets to pay up.

I'm also guessing parking tickets are being issued like crazy now.

However, I know an excellent way to get out of any ticket now. If you get pulled over for speeding, tell the officer that you heard they were losing revenue and you wanted to do all you can to help your city collect revenue from tickets. Hopefully he'll have a good sense of humor and let you off with a warning.

I have heard they are not pulling people over unless you do something major (reckless driving, DUI, etc). 911 calls are still open to anything as far as I know.
View Quote

VSP doesn't get any revenue from tickets at all. It all goes to the state literary fund.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

VSP doesn't get any revenue from tickets at all. It all goes to the state literary fund.
View Quote

I always find it funny how everyone thinks that tickets make up a huge amount of money for localities or the state.  If you do the math (other than a few jackass places -cough- Emporia -cough-  Hopewell), you will find that revenue from tickets makes up very, very little of the state or county budgets.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I have seen them running speed traps regularly here. Personally, I would not do it in VA. If you get caught over 100 I can almost guarantee you will be doing at least a weekend in jail. Jayson Werth (former Nationals OF) got 10 days in jail a few years ago for going 105 on 495 in his GT3RS.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 12:16:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Interesting.  Thanks.  

I wonder if they would classify excessive speeding as “serious”
View Quote

Ask Jayson Werth...  When he was a star player for the Washington Nationals baseball team he got popped for the 'over 80mph=reckless' law in Fairfax County... and actually had to serve time in jail for it!      

Going over 80mph in Virginia is like playing Russian roulette.  You might get away with it... for a while....    
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 12:21:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have seen them running speed traps regularly here. Personally, I would not do it in VA. If you get caught over 100 I can almost guarantee you will be doing at least a weekend in jail. Jayson Werth (former Nationals OF) got 10 days in jail a few years ago for going 105 on 495 in his GT3RS.
View Quote

We must have been typing at the same time.  

Werth was sentenced to 180 days.. with 170 suspended, and he actually had to serve 5.    I think they (Fairfax County) wanted to 'make an example' of him.  I guess they did.  

Btw, if I recall correctly, it was on the beltway near Mclean early in the morning when the road was near empty.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 12:48:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I saw about five troopers sitting in crossovers on 95 the other day between Fredericksburg and Richmond.  A few out of state cars were going considerably over 80mph.  The troopers didn’t move.

So site staff are asking members how to break the law. Sound like a CoC violation to me.
I'll let you report yourself and suffer the punishment of the penguin....            
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 1:15:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

We must have been typing at the same time.  

Werth was sentenced to 180 days.. with 170 suspended, and he actually had to serve 5.    I think they (Fairfax County) wanted to 'make an example' of him.  I guess they did.  

Btw, if I recall correctly, it was on the beltway near Mclean early in the morning when the road was near empty.
View Quote

That's not making an example out of anyone down this way. Anyone caught doing over 100 goes to jail, pretty much across the board, in every county I've seen in court in Southside (9 counties so far).
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Hmmm.   Maybe "my friend" should rethink this.  
View Quote

Or perhaps your friend could look at some of the vast stretches of straight roads across the river in MD if they were so inclined?  Somebody I know pretty well used to live in Calvert County and Route 4 is pretty straight and pretty empty headed south and north through Prince George's County at off hours.  I think he would drive at very excessive speeds occasionally and MD doesn't have this odd automatic reckless penalty for certain speeds.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#28]
One of the speed trap towns was writing tickets for
yellow and black speed sign in their exit area.

Speed limit signs are white with black letters
The typical 'exit speed' sign is NOT a 'Speed Limit.'

It finally blew up when the State AG stepped in.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 2:48:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 9:11:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Or perhaps your friend could look at some of the vast stretches of straight roads across the river in MD if they were so inclined?  Somebody I know pretty well used to live in Calvert County and Route 4 is pretty straight and pretty empty headed south and north through Prince George's County at off hours.  I think he would drive at very excessive speeds occasionally and MD doesn't have this odd automatic reckless penalty for certain speeds.
View Quote

MD does have photo radar ticketing. It’s a money making machine in some locations.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 11:20:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That might be a better plan.

ETA:  Someone else has suggested a location in W.VA, which might also be an idea.
View Quote

C’mon, Man..

are there ANY straight roads
in WV?
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#32]
I haven't seen anyone other than the elite Occoquan PD pull any one over since this thing started.

I expect a massive resurgence to make up for lost revenue...er, I mean, reinforce standards, after we open up.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 4:34:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

MD does have photo radar ticketing. It’s a money making machine in some locations.
View Quote

True.  If somebody were thinking about such a drive, they'd probably want to recon the route before driving it.  MD does like their corrupt photo radar system.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 4:40:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Culpeper Town are out in all their usual places.
Sitting there and not doing much of anything.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 4:42:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 7:26:29 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't think the local to me county deputies are writing tickets right now.  I'm going to work Mon-Fri on relatively empty county roads, typically at 80 mph in a ticket me yellow Dodge Challenger.  Have passed multiple deputies in last few weeks going the other way, and not a one has made an effort to pull me over.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That might be a better plan.

ETA:  Someone else has suggested a location in W.VA, which might also be an idea.
View Quote

Route 50 from Bowie to Annapolis would also be convenient and quick. I'd check in the MD HTF to see if MDSP or AAP are patrolling.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 6:37:06 AM EDT
[#38]
I dont think there is a trooper in Virgina that wouldn't be thrilled to pull over a 911 "stretching its legs" no matter what the crisis.

Head west to the hills of Highland County to have some real fun.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 12:00:01 PM EDT
[#39]
I've heard the cruisers are limited to about 130...you can do better than that, right?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 12:20:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Nice!  

Top speed SHOULD be close to 200.  I think Porsche officially say 193, but they are apparently known for under-reporting specs like acceleration and top speed.
View Quote

Turbo S?
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 1:08:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I've heard the cruisers are limited to about 130...you can do better than that, right?
View Quote

Some of the VSP have Hemi Chargers that can hit 155. I have seen dash cam from one that went over 140 chasing down my client riding his Gixxer on I-64.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 1:12:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Some of the VSP have Hemi Chargers that can hit 155. I have seen dash cam from one that went over 140 chasing down my client riding his Gixxer on I-64.
View Quote

I believe it is 160, those are the fastest ones they have had since the 70s. If he got caught on a GSXR he got scared.

Good news is Charlottesville don't have those no more, cause feelz.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Very few. I haven't seen a charger in the VSP fleet (southern Div 3 or southwestern Div 1) in a few years. All our local guys have unmarked impalas, marked/unmarked Ford Intercepter Taurus, or marked/unmarked Ford Explorers.

Our county deputies, however, have almost 100% fleet of Chargers with AWD and Hemis. Those are FAST cars.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#46]
On the local news last night they talked about an influx in high speed tickets being written. 3-4 state were specifically listed and VA was one of them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 3:30:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 7:20:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Just a short story about getting a ticket.....

In August, 1981 I was moving from Virginia to a new job in Everett, WA. I was driving on I-90, just west of Missoula, MT when I got stopped by a Montana State Trooper. He told me to come on back to his car and have a seat. He took my drivers license, and clipped it onto his clipboard with a blank ticket. I could visualize 50 bucks or so going out the window.
Trooper: "Well, Jimmy. I got some bad news, and some good news. The bad news is I got you on the radar at 69 in a 55, and I'm gonna write you a ticket. The good news is that speeding in Montana in the daytime is not a moving violation, the fine is five dollars, and you can pay me now."
He then proceeded to write me a ticket, charging me with "Wasting Natural Resources".
I paid him the $5, and he wrote me a receipt. I've still got the ticket around here somewhere.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 12:14:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top