Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2022 3:16:18 PM EDT
Do any of you know whether or not the National WW2 museum prohibits firearms on the campus?

I'm coming down for a visit next month and will be bringing my carry gun (G43X MOS w/ RMR and TLR-7a). I'd rather not leave it in my truck or the hotel room if I can avoid having to do so.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:04:18 AM EDT
[#1]
It’s been a minute since I’ve been there but I was carrying. No metal detectors or security from what I remember. It’s amazing facility but it’s just like any other museum as you walk through the doors.

Looks for signage  

Enjoy it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 11:40:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SigOwner_P229] [#2]
@SiVisPacem

I was there last week. This is what I put in the tacked NOLA thread above in regards to carry at the museum.

I didn't see any mention of no weapons on their site so I was carrying. Imagine my surprise when there were metal detectors inside the entrance. I had walked (20 minute walk) and didn't want to go back to the hotel and lose 40 minutes of my time so I went in anyways hoping they were just for show. Nope, not for show. It beeped, the guy waved me over to a table where I was asked to remove everything from my pockets, "Doh, my pocket knife." I showed it to the gentlemen and asked if it was prohibited. He said, "That's what it was, just keep it all the way in your pocket where it's not visible." Then he waved me on in.
View Quote

The museum is private property as I understand it. It's definitely not a federal building so it's not subject to that prohibition.

ETA, the gentlemen at the table didn't have metal detector wands from what I could see but they had some small wood sticks, like a small drum stick. I don't know if those are for poking & prodding waistline etc? I imagine part of my success being waved in without much questioning is that I was there right as they opened and the line was fairly long. They likely didn't want to hold up the line for a clean cut average Joe that was well dressed. A rough looking guy acting "off" may have received more scrutiny. I can't really say.

ETA2, the way they have the tables and metal detectors setup is not conducive to sending a person through the detectors a 2nd time. I think as long as they see something that would have set it off they're happy. If I went back I would risk it again carrying and take a crummy pocket knife again. That way if they want to keep the knife they can have it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 12:05:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for that info.

I think I'll just bring my lock box and leave it in the truck, rather than risk them being more diligent.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 2:00:51 PM EDT
[#4]
The wooden sticks are for poking around in purses and diaper bags , etc.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 2:57:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SkyCatII] [#5]
For more current information: they allow carry if you have a permit or are LEO. It’s not posted anywhere, but I called and asked before visiting today and had no issues.

ETA: which is a bit confusing given the no guns signs near the entrance when I got there. If you have doubts, call ahead and ask (though it may take some work to get a real human on the phone).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top