BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/9/2023 3:14:37 AM EDT
Here is the overall structure of section 2 of HB1240:

(2)(a) "Assault weapon" means: [definition that includes AR-15 by name]
(b) For the purposes of this subsection, "fixed magazine" means  [definition]
(c) "Assault weapon" does not include antique firearms, any firearm that has been made permanently inoperable, or any firearm that is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action.

So as I read it section (c) over rides all else and asserts that a bolt action can never be an assault weapon, not even if it were made using an AR-15 lower receiver or otherwise meets the definition given in (a).

Therefore an ffl can still sell AR-15 lowers in Washington State so long as they have a bolt action upper attached at time of sale and transfer as a bolt action rifle.

For example an AR-15 with the gas tube removed is perfectly legal since you need to manually operate the charging handle to cycle a round

Thoughts?

Link Posted: 3/9/2023 3:39:19 AM EDT
[#1]
It also includes parts that can be assembled into an ‘assault weapon’.

So, no, those won’t fly.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 3:40:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It also includes parts that can be assembled into an ‘assault weapon’.

So, no, those won’t fly.
View Quote

So don't include the gas tube

Also that's part of 2(a) which is over-ridden by 2(c). Specifically that is in 2(a)(iii)
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 3:45:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I am sure a lot of companies that would have shipped a normally "legal" gun part to Washington state won't anymore.

#1. Turd Ferguson sues with wild abandon not caring for one minute the tax-payer money he/she/commie is burning through.

#2. Some companies will not risk/bother conducting business with ban states.

#3. It looks like spare parts might be prohibited. A $1 part fails on your $1,000 rifle and it is now scrap metal.

Yes, HB1240 bans a lot of stuff.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 5:02:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am sure a lot of companies that would have shipped a normally "legal" gun part to Washington state won't anymore.

#1. Turd Ferguson sues with wild abandon not caring for one minute the tax-payer money he/she/commie is burning through.

#3. It looks like spare parts might be prohibited. A $1 part fails on your $1,000 rifle and it is now scrap metal.

View Quote

Yeah, what sellers do out of fear of frivolous prosecution is a whole other thing.

It's a very poorly worded bill, and what I'm trying to say in post #1 is that their poor wording may have resulted in a bill that doesn't actually ban AR lowers - only assembling them into semi auto's.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 7:55:56 AM EDT
[#5]
All I know it that you EVER wanted a modern sporting rifle, you best hit your bank or charge card and get one like right now OR at least get the lower receiver(s) and let your own conscious be your guide.

On a side story, that has nothing to do with guns, the prisons are filled with people who talked too much… Just throwing that thought out there.

Anyway and sadly, I knew this fucking day was coming and since mid 2016, I made it a point to get everything I ever wanted up to this point… Minus the M1 Carbine… Which I guess I can live with that since I really didn’t want to add another odd-ball caliber to my collection anyway.

Now, I wonder how they are going to fuck us next year since I know that the federal 9th Circuit Court isn’t going to move too fast on this issue so, they will lay the first brick in their effort to ban semi-auto handguns THAT accept a double stack magazine… Since those evil “military issued” pistols uses magazines that can be bought in most parts of the country and brought back into WA, so WE have to do something… For the kids.

More likely, they will tax the fuck out of ammo and hit us that way.  We can also forget about anybody doing business with WA that has anything to do with firearms, even the smallest replacement parts will be a thing of the past.

Yes, I know it’s far fetched, but 15 years ago, both the magazine and now, the semi-auto ban would have be far fetched ideals too. Liberals are some persistence MoFos, and just like China, one little chip at a time and that’s how they win. I’m not ready to move back to Anchorage and as of today, Texas isn’t a solid sell either.  Being old, my options are now limited.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 12:09:03 PM EDT
[#6]
That would be a waste having a bolt action AR.. Just defeats the whole purpose of  having one.

Any case the HB1240 is way worst than you can even imagine.. It includes shotguns and pistols!

How Washington's Assault Weapon Ban Is Going to Be Far Worse Than You Think
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 12:09:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry double click
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That would be a waste having a bolt action AR.. Just defeats the whole purpose of  having one.

Any case the HB1240 is way worst than you can even imagine.. It includes shotguns and pistols!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U08DtLAs5WE
View Quote

Sure. It would be a terrible crime if you added the missing gas tube.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 5:49:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Sure. It would be a terrible crime if you added the missing gas tube.
View Quote

Under hb1240 that gas tube and any other part that can be used in a semi auto rifle is illegal. Good luck finding a company that will ship any gun parts to this state.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 6:44:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Under hb1240 that gas tube and any other part that can be used in a semi auto rifle is illegal. Good luck finding a company that will ship any gun parts to this state.
View Quote

Tubes, rings, cam pins, extractor components and firing pins are all high wear parts that are inexpensive to stock up on. BCM has been a great resource for me for all this. At the rate I shoot across multiple rifles, I’ve enough to last indefinitely.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Seems you can send your firearm out for repair?   But you can’t do it yourself because you can’t access parts anymore.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Seems you can send your firearm out for repair?   But you can’t do it yourself because you can’t access parts anymore.
View Quote

Yes, there is an exemption to transfer to a gunsmith for repairs.  

Is there a exemption for FFLs in the state to get parts?
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 8:33:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes, there is an exemption to transfer to a gunsmith for repairs.  

Is there a exemption for FFLs in the state to get parts?
View Quote

This too has been a key question for me. ‘Repair’ implies a part or parts likely must be replaced - ergo parts should be obtainable by FFLs. It’s a contradiction in 1240 if they allow transfer to FFL for repair but don’t allow an FFL to get parts. While I’d like to see parts completely amended from the bill, there should at least be an amendment to exempt FFLs.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 12:40:17 AM EDT
[#14]
LGS was smashed today…
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 1:05:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
LGS was smashed today…
View Quote

Which one?  I know Pantel got hit recently too.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 5:03:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
LGS was smashed today…
View Quote

Yep, same here. The shop I went to this morning the owner was walking around saying out loud "that things getting signed tomorrow!" to customers, lol. Drumming up bidness.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I was told by more than one shop on the phone today that they were not handling semiautomatic rifle private transfers right now. Issue seemed to be it going on the books of the shop while the waiting period ticked by. So if the law changes while you are awaiting approval that gun belongs to the shop and can’t go back to the original owner or the intended buyer.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 10:04:40 AM EDT
[#18]
So as a 07 FFL, I do allot of gunsmithing on semi autos, my question is will I still be able to order parts?
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So as a 07 FFL, I do allot of gunsmithing on semi autos, my question is will I still be able to order parts?
View Quote

I’ve heard nothing official, but my LGS told me the moment FJI’s signature drops if this goes through in its present form, they will immediately pull all parts from the floor. They even told me UPS most likely wouldn’t ship to the state regardless. Of course, all speculation made under duress given their chaotic day with people clamoring to buy.

At minimum, IMNSHO the parts piece *needs* to be pulled from this given there is language about ‘transferring’ to a gunsmith for repair - and to my earlier post, the need to obtain parts is a de-facto requirement for providing repair services.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 2:28:24 AM EDT
[#20]
I know this sucks, but the reality of the reality is that until the courts, at the federal level, get involved, we're all screwed massively.

I had extra parts on hand for several years now, but over the last two weeks, I've been ordering all the parts I can think of that will last me for at least several years, just to be on the safe side of things.  Honestly, if you're on the fence about buying parts, this might be the right time since I seriously do not see too many businesses that will be doing any sales to WA on basically any  firearm related items. Shit, Midway USA wouldn't even sell Pearce +1 magazine extensions for the 6 shot Glock 43!  

Link Posted: 3/13/2023 10:55:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I’ve heard nothing official, but my LGS told me the moment FJI’s signature drops if this goes through in its present form, they will immediately pull all parts from the floor. They even told me UPS most likely wouldn’t ship to the state regardless. Of course, all speculation made under duress given their chaotic day with people clamoring to buy.

At minimum, IMNSHO the parts piece *needs* to be pulled from this given there is language about ‘transferring’ to a gunsmith for repair - and to my earlier post, the need to obtain parts is a de-facto requirement for providing repair services.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m hoping they will still ship to a FFL? That way I could at least continue with repairs, and manufacturing to sell out of state?  I guess the other option is crossing state lines or setting up a business address in Idaho? Fuck these fuckers and this really, really sucks!
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#22]
I have friends and relatives in free states.

Just saying.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I’m hoping they will still ship to a FFL? That way I could at least continue with repairs, and manufacturing to sell out of state?  I guess the other option is crossing state lines or setting up a business address in Idaho? Fuck these fuckers and this really, really sucks!
View Quote

Hope so, I don't see any thing that exempts FFL's, but the part about being able to ship your guns out for repair. Not that we should expect anything less from them, even if they do know anything about guns they leave it as vague as possible to catch everything they can.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 10:38:05 PM EDT
[#24]
They have done such a great job of keeping drugs from entering Washington State, I am sure we will never see a new AR part cross our borders.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 1:14:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
They have done such a great job of keeping drugs from entering Washington State, I am sure we will never see a new AR part cross our borders.
View Quote

People that live in the outer areas of the state near Idaho and Oregon will have it easy.

The guys who live in Bellingham or out on the Olympic peninsula are fuuuuuuuuucked.

Cola warrior is a great excuse to drive out of state. Just saying.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 2:46:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
How many detent springs could one hide in a kilo of coke... hypothetically?
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How many detent springs could one hide in a kilo of coke... hypothetically?
View Quote

When I sell my house I guess I'll be a criminal since there are definitely more than a couple front pivot pin detents that went flying God knows where. I guess they will transfer with the house one day and someone will find them in ten or twenty years.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 9:36:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yeah, what sellers do out of fear of frivolous prosecution is a whole other thing.

It's a very poorly worded bill, and what I'm trying to say in post #1 is that their poor wording may have resulted in a bill that doesn't actually ban AR lowers - only assembling them into semi auto's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe you are on the right path when it comes to the "parts" problem with this new infringement.

One could argue a normal fully correct AR upper built with cheap gas block with no hole drilled for gas flow could be a "part" never built intended for semi-auto function.

Maybe even barrel without the gas port drilled with a dimple in correct spot.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 3:29:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Do you folks tink the Benelli M2 will be banned?
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 4:18:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm sure someone will be along to verify, but I believe the tactical model will because of the pistol grip.

Also, I've not personally read the bill, but from the quotes of it on WGL YouTube, it looks like even semiauto 22lr pistol with a threaded barrel falls under this bullshit too. All P322, tx22, m&p22...bye bye. They didn't specify centerfire like they did with rifle
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 4:50:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Any pistol with threaded barrel
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 8:18:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

While I was picking up my Benelli M4, I asked the clerk if these shotguns would fall under HB1240 as it’s written.  

Her reply was no, because the pistol grip is not incorporated into the receiver.

I’m glad I got mine so I don’t have to test that theory.

Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:22:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

While I was picking up my Benelli M4, I asked the clerk if these shotguns would fall under HB1240 as it’s written.  

Her reply was no, because the pistol grip is not incorporated into the receiver.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought a 3 Gun Benelli M2. Think I'm going to cancel it. Don't even know if there are matches in the state.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 1:34:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Here is how I read the section of HB1240, dealing with parts.  This paragraph defines one form of "Assault Weapon" that is banned later in the bill.

"(iii) A conversion kit, part, or combination of parts, from which
an assault weapon can be assembled or from which a firearm can be
converted into an assault weapon if those parts are in the possession
or under the control of the same person"
View Quote

Let's break this down into the two parts:

Part 1: A conversion kit, part, or combination of parts, from which an assault weapon can be assembled
View Quote

This first part is simply saynig, all the parts that can be asembled into an assault weapon. It does NOT say, "any individual part" becomes an assault weapon.  The intent is so say you can't have all the necessary parts to make an assault weapon, even if it's disassembled.  So the way I read this is you can't put together enough parts to asemble an assault weapon. So, if you have all completely asembled assault weapons, and only a single part (spare), that is NOT defined as an assault weapon, in this bill, because it isn't enough to build an assault weapon.

Example: If you take an AR and remove the gas tube, it's not an assault weapon.  It's not even semi-auto. But if you also have a "gas tube", then that part can be assembled into an assault weapon.
I would also add say you have a fully working asault weapon, legally posessed, then having an extra gas tube should not be illegal, because it can't convert the firearm. it's already one.

Part 2: :or from which a firearm can be converted into an assault weapon if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person"
View Quote

This part, is concernd with having a firearm that could be easily converted, by ading one, two, three, or 10 parts, that converts it to an assault weapon, if you have those missing parts in your posession. Further, it does indicate that you can have these parts, so long as you aren't also in posession of the firearm to be converted.  So, this last phrase clearly says it takes more than one situation, to have the parts declared banned.

Example: You have no firearms, but have or obtain parts, none of which can be assembled into a working assault weapon, then it should not be illegal, acording to the definition in this section.  Otherwise, the bill wouldn't have said, "if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person"

This tells me that no single part is defined as an assault weapon, if
1) You con't have posession of a weapon missing that part
2) You don't have enough parts to asemble an assault weapon

It does say "part" in this section, but other parts indicate the need to have a weapon, that is not an assault weapon, but with that "part" becomes one. But ONLY if you have both in your position. I don't see how that doesn't mean, "you can have parts. as long as you don't have all the parts in your posession, to build a new weapon".
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 2:14:51 PM EDT
[#35]
So I know it says excluding lever action but does the round capacity still exclude it if it's over 10 rounds
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 5:09:22 PM EDT
[#36]
It looks to me like this is still a huge loophole

1. An AR lower can be sold so long as it's formed into a bolt action rifle

2. Nothing stops you buying the other parts

3. Nothing stops you assembling them into a working AR

4. Nothing stops you possessing it

Now a seller can't intentionally sell you these parts with the expectation that you will make an AR. The act clearly restricts sellers and we are seeing a lot of sellers pull back.

But as a buyer if you can acquire the parts you're good to go
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:03:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:1. An AR lower can be sold so long as it's formed into a bolt action rifle
View All Quotes
Quoted:1. An AR lower can be sold so long as it's formed into a bolt action rifle

Doesn't even need to be that. Stripped lowers don't meet Washington's definition of "firearm" at all. They're free and clear, but dealers are too pussified to transfer them. Maybe Fed Way Guns would? They seem to have thumbed their noses at the magazine ban even though that's pretty clear. Not our problem the legislature and their statist bill writers didn't account for frames/receivers this time.

As others have said, the gas system could be crippled by a variety of methods, thus making it no longer a semiautomatic firearm. Another option for complete firearms would be replacing the BCG with a 22LR conversion prior to sale. Then it's no longer a semiautomatic center-fire rifle, however I'm not sure if that removes it from classification as an AR-15. I do see natively 22LR "AR style" rifles still listed for sale in places which have otherwise removed traditional AR pattern rifles from sale, so that may be worth looking into.

Quoted:2. Nothing stops you buying the other parts

Only way to run afoul of SHB1240 with parts would be if they were all sold together. Separate purchases eludes that, but again, dealers are cowards and are refusing to ship to Washington. Want to expose a cowardly retailer? Ask why they'll ship barrels under 16" anywhere (except WA now), even though that would result in constructive possession of an illegal SBR, but now refuse to ship anything to Washington because it now independently recognizes the concept of constructive possession too.

Quoted:3. Nothing stops you assembling them into a working AR

Nothing "stops" you, but assembly is technically prohibited. You can posses all the parts unassembled, and you can possess the assembled firearm, but the act of assembly itself is prohibited.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 2:59:56 PM EDT
[#38]
holy smokes! this bill is outrageous and gross violation of our rights. I'm ashamed to admit I was busy fighting our own fight in Oregon to notice this.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 3:08:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
holy smokes! this bill is outrageous and gross violation of our rights. I'm ashamed to admit I was busy fighting our own fight in Oregon to notice this.
View Quote

It’s really fucked up on so many levels. M actually embarrassed to say I live in Washington anymore with our over the top retardation when it comes to politics .
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 2:24:42 PM EDT
[#40]
So where is this injunction/ TRO that everyone said we would get????
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Only way to run afoul of SHB1240 with parts would be if they were all sold together. Separate purchases eludes that, but again, dealers are cowards and are refusing to ship to Washington. Want to expose a cowardly retailer? Ask why they'll ship barrels under 16" anywhere (except WA now), even though that would result in constructive possession of an illegal SBR, but now refuse to ship anything to Washington because it now independently recognizes the concept of constructive possession too.

Nothing "stops" you, but assembly is technically prohibited. You can posses all the parts unassembled, and you can possess the assembled firearm, but the act of assembly itself is prohibited.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:2. Nothing stops you buying the other parts

Quoted:3. Nothing stops you assembling them into a working AR

As the saying goes; never ascribe to evil what can be simply explained by stupidity. While I do sense some malevolent glee on the part of the prohibitionists I don't know if there was some diabolical genius in their vague wording about parts. It turns their AWB into a backdoor ban on existing grandfathered arms. I'll default their extra bonus ban as bycatch of their intention to ban parts that people could swap out or bolt on to make something "assaulty". I looked over the 1240 too and there's nothing in it about possessing parts short of constructive possession of a combination of parts and a firearm that when put together make it a prohibited configuration. I don't see any fruitful path in charging or prosecuting someone with a legally grandfathered weapon from possessing spare parts for that model. The prohibitionists are already beyond contempt. What gets me is how quickly all the retailers tucked their tails, rolled over, and showed their bellies. Local and national retailers only had to put the same sort of disclaimer in their stores or web checkouts that purchasers must be aware and comply with all local regulations. They do when selling complete <16" uppers, threaded barrels, etc. Now they won't even sell me a vertical foregrip for my 33" muzzle loading black powder rifle.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

As the saying goes; never ascribe to evil what can be simply explained by stupidity. While I do sense some malevolent glee on the part of the prohibitionists I don't know if there was some diabolical genius in their vague wording about parts. It turns their AWB into a backdoor ban on existing grandfathered arms. I'll default their extra bonus ban as bycatch of their intention to ban parts that people could swap out or bolt on to make something "assaulty". I looked over the 1240 too and there's nothing in it about possessing parts short of constructive possession of a combination of parts and a firearm that when put together make it a prohibited configuration. I don't see any fruitful path in charging or prosecuting someone with a legally grandfathered weapon from possessing spare parts for that model. The prohibitionists are already beyond contempt. What gets me is how quickly all the retailers tucked their tails, rolled over, and showed their bellies. Local and national retailers only had to put the same sort of disclaimer in their stores or web checkouts that purchasers must be aware and comply with all local regulations. They do when selling complete <16" uppers, threaded barrels, etc. Now they won't even sell me a vertical foregrip for my 33" muzzle loading black powder rifle.
View Quote

You have to remember those retailers are not patriots or defenders of the 2A. They are simply a business to make money. They happen to sell firearms and parts but they would be equally as comfortable selling shoes or dildos. It’s frustrating but you’re never going to get them to stop being chickenshits so find ways to acquire what you need in spite of them.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 2:45:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I do not see anything in the bill that makes assembly illegal. At all. In fact the opposite - the bill says you have an assault weapon as soon as you have all the parts, so assembly doesn't change anything.

The bill also doesn't ban you from acquiring a new assault weapon: the "grandfathering" wasn't achieved by saying "if you owned before X date", it was achieved by simply not including "possession" in the list of illegal things.

So if you legally acquire a part that then puts you in possession of all the parts needed to make an assault weapon you can legally assemble and use that assault weapon.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Does anyone know of any FFLs that will do AR lower receiver transfers in the Puget Sound area or are those transfers banned also?
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 9:00:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I do not see anything in the bill that makes assembly illegal. At all. In fact the opposite - the bill says you have an assault weapon as soon as you have all the parts, so assembly doesn't change anything.

So if you legally acquire a part that then puts you in possession of all the parts needed to make an assault weapon you can legally assemble and use that assault weapon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The term “assemble” isn’t defined in the firearms chapter of the RCW, but its definition of “manufacture” contains terms which are absolutely synonymous with the word “assemble.”

Everything else, yeah. Once you have all the parts, you have an “assault weapon,” even if unassembled, and 1240 doesn’t prohibit acquisition of any part individually. Once they’re assembled, you have the same “assault weapon.” But the act of putting the parts together fits the definition of “manufacture.”

The term “assemble” is referenced elsewhere in the statutes, and I’ve heard, but not verified, it was listed in the prohibition subsection in earlier versions of 1240.

I don’t know how it would play out if a JBT tried making an arrest or a prosecutor tried to charge. Maybe there’s case law or specific court rules around that? Like rule of lenity and incongruent statutes?

Quoted:
Does anyone know of any FFLs that will do AR lower receiver transfers in the Puget Sound area or are those transfers banned also?

A stripped lower isn’t a firearm per the RCW, so it’s fine. Most retailers can’t read though and deny sales on everything now claiming it’s all “banned.”

I wonder though if they would be worried that transferring a lower could be construed as negligence under the assumption that the only reason you’d buy one would be to “manufacture” an “assault weapon,” and that could open them up to civil liability.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 12:37:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The term “assemble” isn’t defined in the firearms chapter of the RCW, but its definition of “manufacture” contains terms which are absolutely synonymous with the word “assemble.”

Everything else, yeah. Once you have all the parts, you have an “assault weapon,” even if unassembled, and 1240 doesn’t prohibit acquisition of any part individually. Once they’re assembled, you have the same “assault weapon.” But the act of putting the parts together fits the definition of “manufacture.”

The term “assemble” is referenced elsewhere in the statutes, and I’ve heard, but not verified, it was listed in the prohibition subsection in earlier versions of 1240.

I don’t know how it would play out if a JBT tried making an arrest or a prosecutor tried to charge. Maybe there’s case law or specific court rules around that? Like rule of lenity and incongruent statutes?

A stripped lower isn’t a firearm per the RCW, so it’s fine. Most retailers can’t read though and deny sales on everything now claiming it’s all “banned.”

I wonder though if they would be worried that transferring a lower could be construed as negligence under the assumption that the only reason you’d buy one would be to “manufacture” an “assault weapon,” and that could open them up to civil liability.
View Quote

Yep... I already contacted one local FFL and he will not sell or transfer AR lowers.... Thus my Q.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 12:41:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You have an assault weapon BEFORE you assemble it since the bill explicitly defines having all the necessary parts to be owning one.

"Manufacture" means, with respect to a firearm or  large capacity magazine, the fabrication, making, formation, production, or construction of a firearm or large capacity magazine, by manual labor or by machinery.

A lawyer will need to weigh in but I believe that is going to go beyond assembly and involve some kind of fabrication process that creates a new part, not just putting parts together by hand.

Drilling holes in an 80% receiver is likely manufacturing.

A principle in WA law is that a bill should not be read in a way that results in absurd conclusions and if you read this to mean assembly then it criminalizes field stripping a gun for cleaning and then putting it together again. That's absurd, so manufacturing must mean something a bit more than attaching parts together.

But... lawyer.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 2:45:32 AM EDT
[#48]
The state will use the commonly used meaning of manufacture when it comes to firearms. The same one that has been used for decades at the federal level. That means putting an upper on a lower and pushing in the two pins is manufacturing. It's why dealers can only do a couple of those a year without having a manufacturing license as gunsmithing, and to do more than a handful you would need a type 07 FFL.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The state will use the commonly used meaning of manufacture when it comes to firearms. The same one that has been used for decades at the federal level. That means putting an upper on a lower and pushing in the two pins is manufacturing. It's why dealers can only do a couple of those a year without having a manufacturing license as gunsmithing, and to do more than a handful you would need a type 07 FFL.
View Quote

That leads to an absurd reading of the bill where you cannot legally clean your firearm because putting it back together after field stripping it is "manufacturing".

I don't doubt that Ferguson will aggressively bring any possible lawsuit, but I think a judge will side with that being "assembly" and that manufacturing needs some level of craftsmanship or machining.

Link Posted: 7/30/2023 3:34:19 PM EDT
[#50]
So, What's the Deal With AR Part in Washington State Now?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top