Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2021 6:29:19 PM EDT
Is it worth seeing? I like the history of it but I’ve heard mixed reviews. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 11:47:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I stopped there many years ago on my way back from Colorado.  I dont know that I would go out of my way to see it but, if you are going to go by there anyway, then yeah, it would be worth taking a look around the place.

Here's some other history minded suggestions:

In my opinion Abilene is a better stop if you're going that way. It has the Eisenhower museum and the recreated old town Abilene.  Wild Bill Hickok was town Marshall there for a while.

The Kansas Cosmosphere is in Hutchinson and is definitely worth stopping to see. It has Gus Grissom's Liberty Bell 7 Mercury capsule that was recovered from the ocean and the Apollo 13 Command Module.

In eastern Kansas, Osawatomie has the the preserved John Brown cabin (Adair Cabin Museum) and nearby (US 56 just east of Baldwin City) is the Blackjack battlefield.  Battle fought in 1856 between John Brown's men and Henry Pate's Missouri militia.  There is quite a bit of Bleeding Kansas history in this area and also, in Lawrence, there are self guided tours to see significant sites of Quantrill's 1864 raid on Lawrence.

There is also the 1864 Mine Creek battlefield between Trading Post and Mound City south of the Kansas City area about 60 miles. The restored Fort Scott is about 20-30 miles further south of Mine Creek.

Enjoy your travels!
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:52:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The Kansas Cosmosphere is in Hutchinson and is definitely worth stopping to see. It has Gus Grissom's Liberty Bell 7 Mercury capsule that was recovered from the ocean and the Apollo 13 Command Module.

View Quote

Originally from Greensburg, just east of Dodge City.  Agree with JB1856, Dodge City is just ok.  The Cosmosphere in Hutch is definitely worth it.  Greensburg was wiped out by a tornado back in 2007.  Its home of the worlds largest hand dug well, worth the 10 minutes if you're driving through.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top