Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2020 2:16:11 AM EDT
Do you guys use throw levers on your scopes?  If yes, does it help enough to make them worth the cost?

I've got a few scopes I've been thinking about putting throw levers on, mostly for convenience.  It's not that big of a deal to have to clamp on with your hand and twist but as I get older I have noticed my grip strength diminishing a little.  Not a big deal on some scopes but I've got one or two off the top of my mind that are really hard to move.  

I'm not really sure whether to go the plastic route which look to be about a third the price of metal versions.  The metal ones I've seen seem to run $55 to $75+ each which is WAY more money than they are worth to me.  I would definitely prefer the strength of aluminum but dayum that's frickin expensive for a little twisty thing.

Anyone have any experience with the polymer versions?  I've read some folks say they work just fine and others say they are unreliable and prone to failure.  I'm hoping some of you have some personal experience with them, good or bad.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:20:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope Brandi never played with them but if your grip is failing they might be worth it. I can see where in PRS competitions they would be nice to have an idea where your scope power is at at a glance.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I may try one of the polymer on the scope that's hardest to turn and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 4:32:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one on a Vortex Viper PST II and wish I could find them for a couple of older Leupolds. Those old Leipolds are stiff! I really like mine.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 8:09:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one on a Vortex Viper PST II and wish I could find them for a couple of older Leupolds. Those old Leipolds are stiff! I really like mine.
View Quote

Do you use the polymer or the aluminum?  It's funny you mentioned the Leupold because it's my Leupold VX-R 1.25-4 that's the hardest to turn.  It's not on old scope so they are apparently still making them like that.  It's the scope that I most worry about a polymer throw lever failing on.  

My Vortex Viper PST I is the one that I change magnification on the most so if I get a polymer lever and it can handle the Leupold it should handle the Vortex without any problems.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 11:22:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I sprung for the aluminum lever from Vortex. After spending so much on the scope and the rifle that wears it, the cost of the throw lever was insignificant in comparison.

I think the plastic would probably be fine though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top