Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2018 5:05:33 PM EDT
I moved here from the Mid-west in 2011.  I can't understand why the people here keep voting for Dems year after year with the same results.  They must like having shit schools, high crime, and crappy jobs.  I live in Rio Rancho, and work with other engineers.  I never really worked or related with any locals.  So, I don't know what their personalities are like.

I had one co-worker describe NM as a third world country before moving to FL.  I met a woman who moved here from Norfolk VA who described the people as nice, but that they would steal you blind.  It seems that the people on the reservations only want to blame whitey for all of their problems all the while sitting on their ass collecting government money.  I've met lots of people who describe native New Mexicans as lazy.  Then I met an attorney who works for the state gov.  I asked her why NM has such a high rape rate.  She said it was because the locals don't see it as a problem, and refuse to change.  She had a friend move away because of this issue.  I didn't ask for more details.

I was just wondering what people who were born here view things.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 5:34:14 PM EDT
[#1]
We get a monthly stipend from Alabama. Seriously, you have to be here for 20 years and then the checks start rolling in.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 5:34:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Moved here 16 years ago but I'm in the sane part of the state so it doesn't stand out.
They have been brainwashed here I remember asking what am I who they were voting for and the answer was my family is poor so I have to vote Democrat! After explaining to them that they wouldn't be poor if they change their ways they had never heard that before.
My office is full of young Hispanic single moms and they all vote Republican now after years of work.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 8:57:50 PM EDT
[#3]
To understand New Mexico, you have to go back a few centuries.

The Spainsh were the first settlers here (Santa Fe is the second oldest city in the USA.) They pushed out the Natives & brought South American & Mexican Natives with them as guides & interpreters, then expantion from the East, & eventually war, with those from the East & those from the South who felt wronged by Spainsh conquest. One thing that never changed was the influence of the Catholic Church. It dominated politics here & still does to a degree.

People still live on land given to them by the Spanish Royal Family in the 1600's. They view it, very much like a settler would then. Resist the government in plac, and follow the edicts from the Catholic church. This mentality is still strong, in reality you have people who live here that have never, 100% bought into the idea of the USA. And of course the Natives never have, & never will after being removed & placed here by those from the East (i.e. the USA).

New Mexico is full of families, whose roots go back to Spainsh conquest for the glory of the Catholic church. Most believe that the Democrats are the ones that finally brought them.into the fold after WWII. Families here are run by Patriarchs, mostly of Spainsh decent. They generally live a long time, and families will do anything to make sure the Patriarch is happy. This includes voting how the Patriarch tells the family to vote. Which are still the ones left over from after WWII.

The new generations dont care about politics because the old Patriarch has already set the tone: vote Democrat. So they do blindly. It wont change here becuase of the corruption in state government. Everyone is related to everyone in some fashion here, especially up North. Without a huge influx of new familes it will remain the same. It has remained the same becuase people just move away rather than fight the system. I moved away in 2013, but my family refused to move. My FIL has cancer, his business is in trouble, so we moved back to help out. When he's gone, & my parents are gone, im moving again.

Hope that help explain it to you some. It's a very complex social structure here, a lot more than I can type here. And of course others can expand as they see fit.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:49:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The Spainsh were the first settlers here (Santa Fe is the second oldest city in the USA.) They pushed out the Natives & brought South American & Mexican Natives with them as guides & interpreters, then expantion from the East, & eventually war, with those from the East & those from the South who felt wronged by Spainsh conquest. One thing that never changed was the influence of the Catholic Church. It dominated politics here & still does to a degree.

People still live on land given to them by the Spanish Royal Family in the 1600's. They view it, very much like a settler would then. Resist the government in plac, and follow the edicts from the Catholic church. This mentality is still strong, in reality you have people who live here that have never, 100% bought into the idea of the USA. And of course the Natives never have, & never will after being removed & placed here by those from the East (i.e. the USA).

New Mexico is full of families, whose roots go back to Spainsh conquest for the glory of the Catholic church. Most believe that the Democrats are the ones that finally brought them.into the fold after WWII. Families here are run by Patriarchs, mostly of Spainsh decent. They generally live a long time, and families will do anything to make sure the Patriarch is happy. This includes voting how the Patriarch tells the family to vote. Which are still the ones left over from after WWII.

The new generations dont care about politics because the old Patriarch has already set the tone: vote Democrat. So they do blindly. It wont change here becuase of the corruption in state government. Everyone is related to everyone in some fashion here, especially up North. Without a huge influx of new familes it will remain the same. It has remained the same becuase people just move away rather than fight the system. I moved away in 2013, but my family refused to move. My FIL has cancer, his business is in trouble, so we moved back to help out. When he's gone, & my parents are gone, im moving again.

Hope that help explain it to you some. It's a very complex social structure here, a lot more than I can type here. And of course others can expand as they see fit.
View Quote
Some what close.

Except, the reason for the Democrat voting isn't quite what you think.

It has to do with the land grants, when NM went from territory to statehood, the federal government absorbed the land grants, and the new state levied taxes. We didn't know about the taxes, and the land was seized by the state to be auctioned off for back taxes.

This is where the Democrats stepped in, If we voted for them, they would restore the land grants, and to be fair they did... this won them generational loyalty without question.. Its not that Republicans were against it, but at that time Republicans were kind of a mess (like the dems now) and didn't even think to care about the land grants.

Now, 4 generations later, the land grant land has mostly been sold, or divided up. my cousin and my uncle are the only ones in my family with a share of land grant, my grandfather divided it between them.

I wouldn't say that we didn't buy into the idea of the United States, MANY of us had family killed in the Bataan Death March, and throughout WWII, and fighting for the United States in WWII brought in a large sense of patriotism.. one side of my family my grandfather was in every major battle in the Pacific aboard the USS Biloxi, the other side, My grandfather was head electrician at LANL during its construction phases. He basically planned out and set up running all the power through the labs, consequently he suffered from cancer a total of 7 times in his life. They loved the United States, and If ANYONE ever called us Mexican it was a insult worse than being spit on. Neither side of my grandparents allowed my parents to teach us Spanish, we're American.

My generation is pretty isolated from that time.. unfortunately the wheels of liberalism, and the slavery of welfare came in, and as we see in the black communities, its an addiction worse than heroin (and often leads to heroin addiction.)

Funny thing, if you talk too us, ask us questions, we're much more conservative then most would realize... honestly the years of public schools indoctrination that "Republicans hate you because your hispanic" is pretty strong. FWIW, I found my old 3rd grade binder in a shelf at my parents house, I had scribbled on it "Bush 94"

We need an awakening as to what the dems have done to us, Candace Owens style.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:00:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Some what close.

Except, the reason for the Democrat voting isn't quite what you think.

It has to do with the land grants, when NM went from territory to statehood, the federal government absorbed the land grants, and the new state levied taxes. We didn't know about the taxes, and the land was seized by the state to be auctioned off for back taxes.

This is where the Democrats stepped in, If we voted for them, they would restore the land grants, and to be fair they did... this won them generational loyalty without question.. Its not that Republicans were against it, but at that time Republicans were kind of a mess (like the dems now) and didn't even think to care about the land grants.

Now, 4 generations later, the land grant land has mostly been sold, or divided up. my cousin and my uncle are the only ones in my family with a share of land grant, my grandfather divided it between them.

I wouldn't say that we didn't buy into the idea of the United States, MANY of us had family killed in the Bataan Death March, and throughout WWII, and fighting for the United States in WWII brought in a large sense of patriotism.. one side of my family my grandfather was in every major battle in the Pacific aboard the USS Biloxi, the other side, My grandfather was head electrician at LANL during its construction phases. He basically planned out and set up running all the power through the labs, consequently he suffered from cancer a total of 7 times in his life. They loved the United States, and If ANYONE ever called us Mexican it was a insult worse than being spit on. Neither side of my grandparents allowed my parents to teach us Spanish, we're American.

My generation is pretty isolated from that time.. unfortunately the wheels of liberalism, and the slavery of welfare came in, and as we see in the black communities, its an addiction worse than heroin (and often leads to heroin addiction.)

Funny thing, if you talk too us, ask us questions, we're much more conservative then most would realize... honestly the years of public schools indoctrination that "Republicans hate you because your hispanic" is pretty strong. FWIW, I found my old 3rd grade binder in a shelf at my parents house, I had scribbled on it "Bush 94"

We need an awakening as to what the dems have done to us, Candace Owens style.
View Quote
Thank you for clarification.

New Mexico is a really complex place. And it's like nowhere else I've ever been.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thank you for clarification.

New Mexico is a really complex place. And it's like nowhere else I've ever been.
View Quote
In NM politics, Nepotism be thy name.

In addition to welfare, its not a great environment for business. what major corporations are in NM? seriously our top 3 NM owned, private employers by employee number are Alsups, Lota Burger and TLC plumbing.

The democrats made sure to entrench the size of government, and make it difficult for business.. done by design, this keeps us poorer and stuck on relying on the government for jobs as well.

I love it up here, but I don't see a lot changing for the better no matter who wins what.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

In addition to welfare, its not a great environment for business. what major corporations are in NM? seriously our top 3 NM owned, private employers by employee number are Alsups, Lota Burger and TLC plumbing.

The democrats made sure to entrench the size of government, and make it difficult for business.. done by design, this keeps us poorer and stuck on relying on the government for jobs as well.

I love it up here, but I don't see a lot changing for the better no matter who wins what.
View Quote
That's a good point. I recently read an article about Albuquerque vs Phoenix.

The article stated that 1980, the two cities were roughly the same size. But took two different approaches to the future. One went for private economic enterprise & the other went for Government handout programs.

I'm sure people can figure out who did what & how it went. There is no better example of how the two ideologies effect the future.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:28:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, we're fucked.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 1:26:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hahaha, fucking no!   The true Spanish, while they may be democrat ,despise Mexicans.  They are two different breeds, and the Spanish I’ve met hate mescans more than the kkk hate every threat they disagree with.  Put a Mexican and Spanish framing crew together, grab a 30 pack and laugh.

NM is fucked to the core.   We: Lea, Eddy and a few other counties pay for it all.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Land surveyor by trade and college, the land grants are way fucked up. Although extremely interesting and involved.

3 counties are the major producers for that general fund.  Care to wager what we do?

We make the money in the south and watch you fuckers in the north piss it away!
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 1:30:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hahaha, fucking no!   The true Spanish, while they may be democrat ,despise Mexicans.  They are two different breeds, and the Spanish I’ve met hate mescans more than the kkk hate every threat they disagree with.  Put a Mexican and Spanish framing crew together, grab a 30 pack and laugh.

NM is fucked to the core.   We: Lea, Eddy and a few other counties pay for it all.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/335456/A59FDE8C-19CB-4A4D-BA88-D1112F3DA4E0_png-730951.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/335456/E4269E3B-FC56-443D-8068-4FDAE5D374DC_png-730952.JPG

Land surveyor by trade and college, the land grants are way fucked up. Although extremely interesting and involved.

3 counties are the major producers for that general fund.  Care to wager what we do?

We make the money in the south and watch you fuckers in the north pidd it away!
View Quote
Be ready for these new cock suckers to regulate your industry out of profitably, and out of the state with all their green initiative shit.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 2:20:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Be ready for these new cock suckers to regulate your industry out of profitably, and out of the state with all their green initiative shit.
View Quote
I’m ready.  I rarely work in NM anymore.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:10:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Do you know how many major new mines have been built in NM since the permit law was passed in 1993?

The first one may start production next year. Other than the shift to underground at San Juan, there has been one large mine built in New Mexico since the permitting process was implemented. Continental, Pinos Altos, Questa, Mount Taylor, York Canyon, most of the Carlsbad potash mines? All shut down without replacement.

It is not an exaggeration to say that a revitalized mining industry in the state would create several thousand direct and indirect jobs with excellent wages. Regulation kills the middle class.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 10:45:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Do you know how many major new mines have been built in NM since the permit law was passed in 1993?

The first one may start production next year. Other than the shift to underground at San Juan, there has been one large mine built in New Mexico since the permitting process was implemented. Continental, Pinos Altos, Questa, Mount Taylor, York Canyon, most of the Carlsbad potash mines? All shut down without replacement.

It is not an exaggeration to say that a revitalized mining industry in the state would create several thousand direct and indirect jobs with excellent wages. Regulation kills the middle class.
View Quote
but but but... netflix!

ABQ studios, sold to netflix for 30million, 91 million to build, 10 million given from the state, 4 million from Albuquerque for purchase.

here come more californians.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top