Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems to me that if they're having a big problem of youths acting criminally with guns, their efforts would be better served in prosecuting actual criminal behavior, not lecturing gun owners to store their firearms unloaded and locked up
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 10:21:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seems to me that if they're having a big problem of youths acting criminally with guns, their efforts would be better served in prosecuting actual criminal behavior, not lecturing gun owners to store their firearms unloaded and locked up
View Quote
But that would effect their core group of constituents and putting your own voters in prison is not a way to win elections Easier to go after people who vote for your opposition.

I keep wondering how soon we will be just like California. I have to laugh at the San Francisco mayor having a meltdown over the lawlessness in her city that she and her own political party created. As if she never heard of the law of unintended consequences (though I honestly think they got the scenario they wanted, just not as bad as they got it. Just like a runaway nuclear reaction).
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 2:03:00 PM EDT
[#4]
So even if every gun I own is locked in a safe, ammunition I own also needs to be locked up, in a separate container, even in my home - did I read that correctly?

Here's a quote:

New York law requires gun owners to secure their guns if children 16 years old or younger live in or visit the home. All guns need to be in a gun safe or locked with a trigger guard or similar gun-locking device, and ammunition must be locked in a secure location away from the firearms. Storing guns unloaded, locked, and separate from ammunition prevents access and saves lives. Violation of this law is potentially chargeable as a Class A Misdemeanor.

So I can't store Grandpa's 30.06 bolt action inside my 800 pound safe if I have a box of 30.06 in there? In my home?

Link Posted: 12/21/2021 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#5]
That is how it reads to me too. Oopsie

But that law looks to be in direct violation of Heller. That was one of the issues in Heller that DC required weapons to be disassembled and stored in a locked container thus making them useless for self defense. SCOTUS ruled that unconstitutional. It would appear this law violates that but I am sure, if it was already challenged, the 2nd Circus upheld it and SCOTUS took a pass. Assuming we get a strong ruling in NYSRPA v Bruen and "textual analysis" becomes the standard, I see another law that should fall under a new case. I am not against people voluntarily doing the right thing and keeping their weapons away from their young children. But criminal penalties for not doing it in violation of the constitution? No.

Armed Scholar, on YouTube, noted that the State of California has put a hold on enforcing the recent 9th District en banc ruling against standard capacity magazines until Bruen is released. I am guessing they see writing on the wall that if they start enforcing now, they may have a lot of appeals and court cases for wrongful prosecution to deal with. I am guessing that even the wizards in California think they will be on the losing side.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top