Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2018 10:08:11 PM EDT
My birthday is this coming weekend and I thought the wife and I could go to Galveston for Dickens on the Strand.  The plan was to go Friday,  spend the night at the Galvez, come back Saturday afternoon. The more I look into it the more I wonder if it’s worth going.  I’ve asked around and everyone says it looks like fun but no one has actually been. So, anyone been?  What did you think?
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:39:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I live here in Galveston and have been to Dicken's several times.

If you are into the whole Scrooge/ Christmas thing it is worth it.  You are talking roving choirs and parades with people dressed in Victorian period costumes.  They offer street vendors with interesting food and crafts.

It is not my cup of tea but my wife really enjoys it.  I usually wind up spending $15 buck admission just to find a sports bar to watch FB while wife enjoys the festivities.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#2]
We’re going to give it a try. If it turns out we don’t enjoy then I’m sure we can find something else to do on the island.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:30:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Its okay. I've been a lot but only had a lot of fun the first time. It's usually warm and humid. Kinda hard to get into a festive Victorian Christmas mood when I'm sweating or nearly sweating in shorts and flip flops
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:27:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its okay. I've been a lot but only had a lot of fun the first time. It's usually warm and humid. Kinda hard to get into a festive Victorian Christmas mood when I'm sweating or nearly sweating in shorts and flip flops
View Quote
I hear ya on the hot weather.  Hard to get into the Christmas spirit when it feels like summer.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:46:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I hear ya on the hot weather.  Hard to get into the Christmas spirit when it feels like summer.
View Quote
Beats months of snow, ice and cabin fever I guess.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Is it worth it?  For me it wasn’t.  Very disappointing. Very little to do with Dickens, his works, or that time period.  Seemed to be mostly about stalls selling overpriced food and trinkets.  Couldn’t find most of the entertainment listed. Did run across a juggler and a bird show (Raptors) that were ok.  The crowd was insane.  Hard to get anywhere. I was expecting a big crowd but this was way past my expectations. I definitely won’t go again.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 8:16:57 AM EDT
[#7]
When my daughters were younger, they sang in the Austin Girls Choir and they were always down there for some performances at Dickens on the Strand...

Wore Period Costumes...   and Sang like Angels!

Tough to do much anymore that isn't commercialized to death (all the trinkets and such being sold) and of course being Texas, Everyone is often still sweating in December...
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:20:14 AM EDT
[#8]
LOL,, I like Dickens cider,, smooth
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top