Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2020 8:17:35 AM EDT
Looking for some input from local folks who might have some personal knowledge with this dealership.

In a nutshell, I have been searching for a particular truck and there is nothing local.  Dennis Dillon has one on the lot.  It would be an 8 hour drive one way.  I would be pissed to make the drive and have them bend me over knowing I drove all that way.  Looking for any input good or bad.  I have been dealing with a salesman and they don't want to seem to deal on the advertised price.  I am good with 22% off sticker as this is what is considered a good deal but they said they don't negotiate.  I would just order the truck local but with the Kung Flu, there is no guess when FCA will be making trucks again.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking for some input from local folks who might have some personal knowledge with this dealership.

In a nutshell, I have been searching for a particular truck and there is nothing local.  Dennis Dillon has one on the lot.  It would be an 8 hour drive one way.  I would be pissed to make the drive and have them bend me over knowing I drove all that way.  Looking for any input good or bad.  I have been dealing with a salesman and they don't want to seem to deal on the advertised price.  I am good with 22% off sticker as this is what is considered a good deal but they said they don't negotiate.  I would just order the truck local but with the Kung Flu, there is no guess when FCA will be making trucks again.
View Quote

Have you checked Dave Smith Motors? Largest Ram dealer in the country and is in Idaho as well. Probably closer to you in fact. Overall, dealers have gone away from haggling which is why most of the prices are "no-haggle". Other than that, the reason why the dealer isn't budging is because it's over the phone.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#2]
From what I understand DD doesn't negotiate but they are legit in their prices.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#3]
DD will not budge on their advertised price.  Watch their fees in addition. Get their OTD price after all their bullshit fees. We came in with our own financing and they wouldn’t sell so we walked and Dave Smith did us good.  It may have been 1 statistic but buyer beware.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 12:15:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Dave Smith motors only, especially for Dodge.  They have treated our family very well up there in Kellogg.  They're the world's largest volume dealer for a reason, they haven't haggled in ages, they put the price down, you add or subtract accessories and then you either finance yourself, 3rd party, or with them.  They move tons, so they get the incentives and bonuses.  They might not make much per vehicle, but when you sell so many to get the factory kickbacks, it's worth it.  I'll likely be going back up the end of the year or early next year for another 3/4 ton Ram.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
DD will not budge on their advertised price.  Watch their fees in addition. Get their OTD price after all their bullshit fees. We came in with our own financing and they wouldn’t sell so we walked and Dave Smith did us good.  It may have been 1 statistic but buyer beware.
View Quote

I'll second the "Buyer Beware". We've purchased Ram pickups from both Dave Smith Motors and DD.  Will go back to Smith but not to DD. We live in southern Idaho.

Just in case you do buy a rig from DD, as stated above, WATCH OUT for the add-on fees. Their dealer doc fee is $299 and their slimy "theft insurance" is also $295...easy to get them mixed. We had to call the dealership back after the fact and tell them to delete the "theft insurance" charge. They did. Also, the sales dude was alright, but the "finance manager" (AKA the guy who tries to sell you all sorts of crap such as an extended warranty) was a total slimeball.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 7:06:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'll second the "Buyer Beware". We've purchased Ram pickups from both Dave Smith Motors and DD.  Will go back to Smith but not to DD. We live in southern Idaho.

Just in case you do buy a rig from DD, as stated above, WATCH OUT for the add-on fees. Their dealer doc fee is $299 and their slimy "theft insurance" is also $295...easy to get them mixed. We had to call the dealership back after the fact and tell them to delete the "theft insurance" charge. They did. Also, the sales dude was alright, but the "finance manager" (AKA the guy who tries to sell you all sorts of crap such as an extended warranty) was a total slimeball.
View Quote

Aren't all dealer doc fees $299? I recall that being the case for both vehicles I purchased from Corwin and Lithia as well as for the travel trailer I got from Bish's.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 9:58:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting input.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 10:11:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wasn't aware of another kind of finance manager.  A buddy of mine used to work IT for a dealership (not in Idaho), he didn't have a very high opinion of the people that worked there.  Particularly finance managers.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 10:20:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I will probably make the drive to Dave Smith on Friday.  It is only 3 hours away.  For past DS customers, any recommendations on a salesperson?
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 10:55:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Have not had a bad salesman from DS on the 6 vehicles purchased over the years. Go online, find what I want.  Get all fees and OTD price lined up before they fly me up and pick me up at the airport and straight to my vehicle waiting.  No BS quick and easy.  45 min to an hour from stepping foot on their property to leaving.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 5:18:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Aren't all dealer doc fees $299? I recall that being the case for both vehicles I purchased from Corwin and Lithia as well as for the travel trailer I got from Bish's.
View Quote

Not AFAIK. Last year we paid $249 (100% sure about that...I'm looking at the sales agreement) at Bretz for an RV. And I think we paid $50 or $75 at Carl's when we bought a RZR a few years ago.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 5:39:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I will probably make the drive to Dave Smith on Friday.  It is only 3 hours away.  For past DS customers, any recommendations on a salesperson?
View Quote

Our sales dude went by the name of "Axel". He was pretty much all business. The only BS we ran into at Smith was a "window tint" charge of $49...so watch out for that if you don't want it. Also ,we had to spend about 15 minutes with the Parts Guy who tried to accessorize the hell out of our pickup. I settled for mudflaps and running boards...and looking at all the gingerbread available for Rams was actually kinda fun (the wife unit was not amused). The Finance Guy [tm] was some young dude who was pretty easy going. Apparently he was a rookie and wasn't fully steeped in the douchebag protocol typical for that position.

BTW, we bought our Ram at Smith's in 2016...the tint thing may have gone away by now...or been replaced by the always popular $499 Hand-applied Polyprophactic Paint Protection treatment!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 1:54:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not AFAIK. Last year we paid $249 (100% sure about that...I'm looking at the sales agreement) at Bretz for an RV. And I think we paid $50 or $75 at Carl's when we bought a RZR a few years ago.
View Quote

Just looked it up. Average in the state is $299. Most car dealers will charge that much around here. Just how things go I guess.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:25:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Love me some Dennis Dillon.

Have purchased 4 vehicles over the past 2 years from them with amazing deals. FWIW, they are negotiable.

As for the hidden fees, I have never seen them. The people I all dealt with were very kind, upfront, and fast moving.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top