Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2018 7:41:14 PM EDT
OK, I just got a delinquent jury summons in the mail.  I never got the first one and this one arrived at my old house and was forwarded to me.

I'm all in on doing my civic duty.  Only issue is this - summons calls for my to arrive on January 17.  All cool then.  But I have an overseas flight to sell a property on February 3.  They threaten me with a $500 fine if I don't show up.  Well hell I'd pay that in a heartbeat before missing this $3000 flight AND sale of a property.

Wondering how to handle this.  I want to serve but I do not want to get caught up in something that keeps me here.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 8:03:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Show up to jury selection.  When(if) called, you will go through a Q&A session with about 50 others in front of the judge.  Just tell the judge you have PAID FOR travel plans on whatever date.  You will be dismissed.

I was summoned to appear for selection on a Thursday, for a trial to start the following Monday.  I had a work trip booked that Monday.  No jury duty for me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 8:50:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  I am actually happy to serve but I'm not wasting this ticket and losing out on sale of my overseas condo.  Guess I'll show up.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 9:09:02 PM EDT
[#3]
On a jury summons I got not that long ago, there was a website to go to for info and on that site you could ask to be excused. You could check and see if that's an option.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:37:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I just logged in and requested being excused or confirmation my service would complete before my travel date.  Guess we will find out.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 10:37:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Downtown? Or one of the satellite sites?

Just a reminder: downtown has one way streets near the parking garage. Don't be driving the wrong way on one.

Take an e-reader. You'll probably be doing a lot of sitting and waiting.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 12:01:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Downtown.  Wish it wasn't.  I live in Rio Verde now.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 1:05:34 PM EDT
[#7]
They don't take no for an answer very well. My daiughter who is in College out of state got a summons. I had to send them her class schedule for them to believe me.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I just got off the phone with them.  First of all I was amazed that I actually got to talk to a human without lengthy machines to make happy.  Secondly, the guy was actually with it and not an idiot.  So my pessimistic view was completely thrown for a loop.  

I explained I would be happy to serve on a jury provided I am done and can leave on Feb 3.  My report date is jan 17.  he said it shouldn't be an issue but if they select me for a longer trial I can explain my issue.

I plan on bringing a copy of my tickets, and a copy of the contract I am signing tomorrow selling my property over there.  It will cost me $10,000 AND loss of a sale I really want to make if I am not there to complete the deal.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#9]
If you believe cops over normal citizens, and can't set that aside to judge in a fair and impartial manner, the judge needs to know this.
I'm addicted to LivePd, and God bless the men and women of law enforcement. I could not cope with the stupid, drunk or dysfunctional they see every single day.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 11:02:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I explained I would be happy to serve on a jury provided I am done and can leave on Feb 3.  My report date is jan 17.  he said it shouldn't be an issue but if they select me for a longer trial I can explain my issue.

I plan on bringing a copy of my tickets, and a copy of the contract I am signing tomorrow selling my property over there.
View Quote
The vast majority of trials are 2 to 3 days.

The judge will tell you how long the trial is expected to take.  If you have a legitimate conflict you will either be dismissed entirely, or if early, sent back downstairs for another chance at getting selected.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:40:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The vast majority of trials are 2 to 3 days.

The judge will tell you how long the trial is expected to take.  If you have a legitimate conflict you will either be dismissed entirely, or if early, sent back downstairs for another chance at getting selected.
View Quote
That is what the guy on the phone told me.  So I'm going.  I don't mind doing my civic duty provided it doesn't cause me undue hardship.  And not being able to meet and sell my property in Thailand would be a PITA.

I'm also of the belief that trials don't have to take months on end unless we are talking about very complicated financial cases or the like with multiple defendants etc.  Murder trials should take no more than 2 weeks.  One week for the prosecution.  One week for Defense.  Let's find a verdict.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top