Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 7/1/2021 2:30:22 PM EDT
Just got an email reply from DNR about the changes they proposed for deer hunting calibers last year and disallowing .45-70, .444 Marlin, 460S&W, .500 S&W and .45 Raptor. They did confirm that .45-70 will stay legal-but didn't say anything about the others. Just said '.45-70 will remain legal." Small win, but it's a win. Here's hoping for the same answer on the others.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#1]
The Do Nothing Right folks continue to amaze.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Do Nothing Right folks continue to amaze.
View Quote

Yep. Would have been nice if they had answered me on the other calibers they wanted to disallow too.

Hell, the only reason we can't use .30-30 is the .35 rule. Basically "because we said so".
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 10:12:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yep. Would have been nice if they had answered me on the other calibers they wanted to disallow too.

Hell, the only reason we can't use .30-30 is the .35 rule. Basically "because we said so".
View Quote

I have not heard of anything being changed least not yet anyway I know they have a hard on to over step and seemingly love to have their peepee slapped so who knows what will happen
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 11:34:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have not heard of anything being changed least not yet anyway I know they have a hard on to over step and seemingly love to have their peepee slapped so who knows what will happen
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the frenzy of pissed-off deer hunters emailing them three days before opening day did a good job of that, as did IFC blogging about the issue.

They pulled the article, and stopped replying to emails about it within a couple days of it being posted. Hopefully they keep all previously allowed calibers, not just mine. I know a few of our members really like .444 Marlin.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 10:16:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Who is wrangling in the DNR on their cartridge rules?
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 11:13:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Who is wrangling in the DNR on their cartridge rules?
View Quote

No idea who is in charge of it, but the law changed 2 years ago to allow .35 caliber and up with over 500 foot lbs of energy, instead of .357. Last year they came up with a proposed allowed calibers list that would take effect for this season. .45-70, .444 Marlin, .460 S&W, .45 Raptor and .500 S&W were named as no longer allowed under that rule.

An article with that list was posted, asking for comments, just before last year's gun season opened. A bunch of hunters who use the calibers that would be newly disallowed, and IFC emailed DNR about leaving those off the list and there were at least two who called the governor about DNR and their  BS.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#7]
@ shack357

Didn't they change the law recently to allow youth hunter to use handguns under adult supervision?
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
@ shack357

Didn't they change the law recently to allow youth hunter to use handguns under adult supervision?
View Quote

I know that was one of the things mentioned last year but haven't looked to see if it went through.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I know that was one of the things mentioned last year but haven't looked to see if it went through.
View Quote

Yeah I haven't be able to find a definite answer my boy needs to deer hunt with my 10.5" 350 this year
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah I haven't be able to find a definite answer my boy needs to deer hunt with my 10.5" 350 this year
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck. Looking forward to happy kid/dead deer pics.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 4:21:07 PM EDT
[#11]
So if a 35 whelen is legal.......who's pockets do I fill to make me a Remington 700 based rifle chambered in it?
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 4:38:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So if a 35 whelen is legal.......who's pockets do I fill to make me a Remington 700 based rifle chambered in it?
View Quote

I'd be willing to bet Ahlman's in Minnesota could do the conversion for you-I know they do 700 barrel work. Plenty of IA smiths too but I don't know what level of custom work they do.

Get it built amd I wanna shoot it. I'll buy ammo and you can keep the brass.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 7:01:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'd be willing to bet Ahlman's in Minnesota could do the conversion for you-I know they do 700 barrel work. Plenty of IA smiths too but I don't know what level of custom work they do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm gonna have to get something lined up. Theres a few factory vintage 700s on gunbroker in 35 whelen that might serve my purposes fine too. Or I could always build an upper for my pa 10 in 358 Winchester.
Regardless I'll probably wait until 2022 deer season when hopefully prices come back to earth. If I do get the whelen you're more than welcome to shoot it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 11:47:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Contact Satern and ask them.

https://www.saternbarrels.net
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top