Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2018 4:59:01 PM EDT
Does anybody know of a place that will process deer this season in the Wheeling area?  All of the guys who used to do it out of their garage quit doing it, and the livestock butcher we used to use in Marshall Co. died this year and apparently they closed down.  They also were the only Hunters For The Hungry processing site in that area of WV.  We used to take our deer to a guy in Ohio, but our nephew over there told us that Ohio processors are not taking WV deer, which I guess is due to one of the suspected diseases.  We never had this issue before.  I don't want to get a deer in this archery season, then have no place to butcher it.

ETA:  Just found out PA is not taking WV deer, neither.  I didn't realize there was a big problem with any deer diseases in that area.  I know about the issues around Hampshire County.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 9:24:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in the same situation and the same area (Wheeling). Yoho's in Marshall County closed and I can't seem to find any businesses to do it. Might have to nut up and do it ourselves.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:50:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Yoho is the butcher that died, and his phone has been disconnected.  He's listed as the only Hunters For The Hungry donation site in that whole area, too.  My brother took deer last year to Kip's in Carnegie, PA to have one processed into sausage, etc. Their website says they will take shoulders, hind quarters, and boned out meat.  I guess I'll take a recip saw up with me this year to help quarter it out, and I can take the back strap out.  Yes, it sounds like we have to do it ourselves this year, and I need a lot of ground meat from deer for my usage.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:39:27 AM EDT
[#3]
There's a Stop and Rob up the road from me that has a sign that they process deer. I've never used them, and it may be a bit out of the way for someone in Marshall County since it's in Follansbee, but if you need to know the details, I can get them for you.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's a Stop and Rob up the road from me that has a sign that they process deer. I've never used them, and it may be a bit out of the way for someone in Marshall County since it's in Follansbee, but if you need to know the details, I can get them for you.
View Quote
I think both of us are in Wheeling. The place in Marshall county is where we were going before. If you got a business name, that would be great.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Gotta watch northern wv area for CWD in deer
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 9:10:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I haven't seen the sign up yet, but it's called Uncle Pep's Deli at 2000 Eldersville Rd in Follansbee. (304) 527-7525.

Google also shows Lura Mae's Deer Processing (304) 737-0335.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:15:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the Follansbee info, and I'll try those out if needed.  When I was internet searching, I found H&H Deershop at 2411 Eldersville Rd, Follansbee, but nobody every answered the phone, nor was voicemail set up for that number.  My brother got an 8 point last week, and found a guy nearby in Ohio that he took his deer to, and hopefully he stays open.  I don't have his info myself.  The guy told his game warden that he would have to shut down if he did not take WV deer, and the game warden didn't come back (yet?), so we will use him for now.

After doing a little research, it seems a lot of the states that border WV made rules against transporting out of state (or even out of their area) deer, unless the head and spine are not transported.  A friend of mine in KY said there are some rules like that down his way.  I didn't realize there was an issue in the northern panhandle.  I only knew about the counties centered around Hampshire County, WV.  That's a long way from Wheeling.

Kip's in Carnegie, PA (near Pittsburgh) will take the quartered out deer as long as the head and spine are not included, and they make very good salami, etc, from my brother's experience.  I sure wish we had a place to donate deer for Hunters For The Hungry like Yoho used to be, as we usually get more deer than we can eat every season.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:26:13 PM EDT
[#8]
That deer shop you mentioned, if it's the I'm thinking of it's one of those in some guy's shed in back of his house kind of a deal.Very part time, so you might just need to try calling periodically.

There's a Facebook page for Lura Mae's Deer Processing in Wellsburg. https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Butcher-Shop/Lura-Maes-Deer-Processing-248637275191566/
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 6:14:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, I've added Lura Mae's to our list if butchers get scarce, especially during our second week of gun season, since PA and OH open up then and all the butchers get really busy.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:04:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Lura Mae's is not open this year.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:35:35 AM EDT
[#11]
If you're still looking, there is a place called Funkhouser's on 214 in Belmont county between 70 and 470. They took my deer this morning and my FIL's deer last week. Both from WV.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 6:33:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you're still looking, there is a place called Funkhouser's on 214 in Belmont county between 70 and 470. They took my deer this morning and my FIL's deer last week. Both from WV.
View Quote
Thank you!  I actually already found out about them while I was up there last week, and my brother had taken two deer to them.  I got a 5 point on Friday afternoon, picked my packaged meat from them on Sunday afternoon.

They were told by the game warden back in the WV bow season not to take WV deer.  They told the game warden they would have to shut down if they did not take WV deer, and he would continue to take WV deer.  Then the game warden told them to take the head and spine of WV deer to Cochoctcon, OH for testing, which is over an hour away.  Again, they refused.  Owner told the game warden that he would have to arrest him if he wanted him to stop processing WV deer!  We were all worried that they would get raided and our deer confiscated.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 7:59:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They were told by the game warden back in the WV bow season not to take WV deer.  They told the game warden they would have to shut down if they did not take WV deer, and he would continue to take WV deer.  Then the game warden told them to take the head and spine of WV deer to Cochoctcon, OH for testing, which is over an hour away.  Again, they refused.  Owner told the game warden that he would have to arrest him if he wanted him to stop processing WV deer!  We were all worried that they would get raided and our deer confiscated.
View Quote
Kinda makes me want to keep using them. I asked the lady if they were open for bow season as well, she said yes. Extends my season next year. Only 20mins from my house, too.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:09:11 AM EDT
[#14]
@soot4brains

I asked Funkhouser if they were going to be open next year again. The woman handling the paperwork said maybe not. The other woman at a table near the back said to call anyway. Sounds like they could go either way, so we need to coordinate earlier next year.

H&H Deer Shop up in Follansbee is an option, but I think he does it as a second business. He told me he would be open at 1p the first week of gun season and 4p the second week. Didn't ask about bow season.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the info, and we'll call them around opening day of bow season next year to know for sure.  Follansbee is a bit of a hike, but if we have to go that far, we will.  Even Yoho's was a tiresome drive after hunting all day then having to negotiate Rt 250 at night out there and back.  One thing I like about Funkhouser is that he cut out the inner tenderloin and wrapped it.  Everyone else throws that in with the ground meat, because everyone thinks the backstrap is the most valuable cut.  We usually cut out that inner loin right after we gut the deer to eat it fresh, but I was in a rush on Friday to get it to him before he closed, and I needed to get back for dinner and the WVU/OK football game.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:56:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Why not jus do it yourself, other then sausage the rest is jus straight butchering and some grounding
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 4:52:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Why not jus do it yourself, other then sausage the rest is jus straight butchering and some grounding
View Quote
I have already thought about this and am looking into it for next year.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 5:51:16 PM EDT
[#18]
It's one of those things I'd rather pay someone else to do.  For $70, I get my deer cut and wrapped, and that way I don't have to take half a day away from going back out hunting.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I understand, i hunt for economic reasons, cost me $1 and a lil bit of time to get a deer, at $70 bux, its not cost effective.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 6:36:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I understand, i hunt for economic reasons, cost me $1 and a lil bit of time to get a deer, at $70 bux, its not cost effective.
View Quote
I hope to have my own land one day to hunt.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 6:54:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I hope to have my own land one day to hunt.
View Quote
For sure a game changer. Im backedup to nat forest as well
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:35:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

For sure a game changer. Im backedup to nat forest as well
View Quote
So jealous, considering blocking you.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:50:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Lol, in all fairness, the deer are only out at night, so havent have any luck yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top