Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2018 3:33:04 PM EDT
.458 Socom mags, different follower than 5.56, labeled floorplate that says .458 Socom.
Legal in NY?
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 4:21:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, if 10 round .40 cal glock mags are legal, then yes...since you can cram 12 rounds of 9mm into some .40 cal glock mags, and it functions perfectly.

I don't see how they can arrest you for having a 30 round AR15 mag if you only use it for .458 or .50 or 6.8 - they all hold 10 or less rounds.

But does the law say "capable of holding more than 10 rounds..." ?

If so, then all 40 cal glock mags are illegal, all shotguns are illegal since the tubes can hold more than 10 rounds of mini shot shells etc.

Hell I can cram 50 rounds of .22lr into a 10 round 6.8 mag or 10 round 9mm glock mag...the law doesn't say it has to function...just "hold." So I guess all mags are illegal.

The law was written by a retard.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 11:19:02 AM EDT
[#2]
It may be legal by the letter of the law, but you need to ask yourself if it's worth the hassle. There's a high likelihood that it would only ever be an issue if you got jammed up for something unrelated like a domestic dispute or pulled over for something where they needed to impound your car and have its contents inventoried. I've observed many people using 30 round AR-15 magazines in NY that were modified after the SAFE Act or bought already blocked at the ranges I've frequented. It's not going to draw attention on its own, but are you willing to hire an expensive lawyer to defend it if it comes to that?
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Bushmaster sells dedicated 5rd mags marked .450bm/458socom/50beowolf, they look like 20rd AR mags except for the markings & sled like follower, very expensive, but i think I'll purchase a few of these mags & not push my luck.

I plan on popping my 458 Socom upper (from the ar15.com group buy way way back) on my ares SCR lower & seeing how it goes.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 2:47:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 7:59:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 8:14:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
.458 Socom mags, different follower than 5.56, labeled floorplate that says .458 Socom.
Legal in NY?
View Quote
One might think so IF... they are if loaded with .458, .50 Beowulf, etc., while using the corresponding upper. At least that's what I am going with for my Beowulf  using the Alexander Arms marked magazines.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#7]
If it will function normally as a high(>10 rd) cap 5.56 mag it's an illegal item to possess.

IMO it's that simple(retarded but simple)
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 1:42:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it will function normally as a high(>10 rd) cap 5.56 mag it's an illegal item to possess.

View Quote
Shit so every .40 cal glock mag is illegal in NYS now?

And the law says nothing about it "functioning" - just that it can ACCEPT more than 10 rounds. So I guess a 5 round .308 mag can hold what? About 50 rounds of .22lr? Guess those are illegal now too...

It is 100% not that simple. If we go by your interpretation, then ALL mags are banned. Which hell - that could be correct.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 1:57:14 PM EDT
[#9]
This is really getting ridiculous, even for a New Yorker, its getting like the cold war era eastern block here. Only thing that can save us is a couple more SCOTUS appointments by Trump.
I can't wait to escape.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 3:23:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

And the law says nothing about it "functioning" - just that it can ACCEPT more than 10 rounds. So I guess a 5 round .308 mag can hold what? About 50 rounds of .22lr? Guess those are illegal now too...

It is 100% not that simple. If we go by your interpretation, then ALL mags are banned. Which hell - that could be correct.
View Quote
Of course it has to function as an ammunition feeding device to legally be an ammunition feeding device. Otherwise the 50 round cardboard box rounds come in would be illegal.

I think a 10 round 40 cal glock mag is illegal as the law is written. With a stubborn DA, to walk you'd need the judge to rule the law unconstitutionally stupid.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This is really getting ridiculous, even for a New Yorker, its getting like the cold war era eastern block here. Only thing that can save us is a couple more SCOTUS appointments by Trump.
I can't wait to escape.
View Quote
They didnt make a BS law to make it easy. They did it because they hate you and yours.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 3:28:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Of course it has to function as an ammunition feeding device to legally be an ammunition feeding device. Otherwise the 50 round cardboard box rounds come in would be illegal.

I think a 10 round 40 cal glock mag is illegal as the law is written. With a stubborn DA, to walk you'd need the judge to rule the law unconstitutionally stupid.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ehh I don't know...A 5 round .308 mag IS indeed an ammunition feeding device. And it CAN accept 50 rounds of .22lr - still technically an ammunition feeding device.

What if I have a 30 round AR mag, with no spring in it? Technically that doesn't "function" so is it then legal? I don't think so.

The best bet of overturning the unSAFE act is to prove that ALL mags are illegal. Especially 40 cal glock mags, 40 cal beretta mags, 5 round .458 mags etc.

Oh and that 5 round tubular shotgun you own? Probably holds 12 mini shot shells. So that makes ALL shotguns in NYS illegal now.

Gotta show how crazy they law and logic is.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 3:33:59 PM EDT
[#13]
IMO, If the State police, DEC or any form of law enforcement for that matter, catches you with a 20/30 round mag, that will accept and function properly with over 10 rounds of 223/556 ammo, you're screwed. I don't thinks its going to make a difference what the mag says on it. I don't think anyone knows the real answer, I guess it's just a matter of how much time and money you're willing to spend to find out. The laws suck and again, this is just my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 3:35:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
IMO, If the State police, DEC or any form of law enforcement for that matter, catches you with a 20/30 round mag, that will accept and function properly with over 10 rounds of 223/556 ammo, you're screwed. I don't thinks its going to make a difference what the mag says on it. I don't think anyone knows the real answer, I guess it's just a matter of how much time and money you're willing to spend to find out. The laws suck and again, this is just my opinion.
View Quote
I agree...but the NYSP better be willing to declare all .40 cal glock mags and beretta mags and all shotguns illegal in NYS then.

If they do, it's the fastest path to SCOTUS if you as me.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 3:41:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I agree...but the NYSP better be willing to declare all .40 cal glock mags and beretta mags and all shotguns illegal in NYS then.

If they do, it's the fastest path to SCOTUS if you as me.
View Quote
I agree, but the problem is someone has to be willing to possibly spend time in jail and a lot of lawyers fees to find out what's legal and what's not. A lot of the ideas we come up with could be 100% legal, but it's more than likely going to come down to being arrested and defending our case in court.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Someone makes single stack followers for .458 SOCOM and such that fit standard 30rd mags and make them non functional with .223 rounds: smaller rounds are just ejected if loaded... these were originally designed for CA shooters.

Not a legal advice.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 4:54:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't believe that is correct. I agree your balancing on a razors edge if you would like to try to pull this off. But if the floorplate is marked .458Soc and its locked and accompanying the appropriate upper and you have everything squared away I would be mildly surpirsed if you get jammed up. If you take the Socom mags and use them like an idiot, your pretty much daring them to come after you. Your Intent, attitude, and loadout will pprobably make the difference IMO (which is worth what you paid for it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 8:12:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Remember when the state police made a guy with a pump action slide fire come into the station house and prove why they shouldn't confiscate his gun? You think they'll see what looks like a 30 and let you go
View Quote
No, I don't.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 7:05:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top