Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2018 2:48:55 PM EDT
This story on the NPR website yesterday.  Surprisingly fair article on the decline of hunters in the USA and what it is costing the conservation efforts.

Only about 5 percent of Americans, 16 years old and older, actually hunt. That's half of what it was 50 years ago.   Down over 18% in 25 years.  

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/20/593001800/decline-in-hunters-threatens-how-u-s-pays-for-conservation
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 3:33:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Hardly surprising.  Too many other things to do, lack of hunting ground, lack of game (pheasants specifically), destruction of habitat (yes, I'm looking at you farmers), etc, etc.

Most of my pheasant hunting is on a preserve.  Every year we struggle for deer hunting ground.  Whenever the farm lease changes the new tenant almost always reserves the hunting rights.  I can see the end of my deer hunting crew due solely to lack of ground.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 10:12:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Pheasants are out for me due to timing, but I’ve also quit deer hunting. It usually means a drive across the state to a buddy’s farm ($$) a hunting license ($) and a non-privileged/regular deer tag ($$). For the opportunity to be skunked out due to irresponsible behavior of other hunters, weather, etc.

Not worth the gamble, time, or expense anymore. I’ve gone once in the last 5 years to take a buddy’s kid on some local ground one of my customers offered up.

ETA: Same deal here. Hunting rights have become a hot commodity for the upper/upper-middle class outside of the IC/CR corridor. CRP ground going for crazy money, hunting rights being sold, etc. Kids are really getting the short end of the stick on this one.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 10:47:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pheasants are out for me due to timing, but I’ve also quit deer hunting. It usually means a drive across the state to a buddy’s farm ($$) a hunting license ($) and a non-privileged/regular deer tag ($$). For the opportunity to be skunked out due to irresponsible behavior of other hunters, weather, etc.

Not worth the gamble, time, or expense anymore. I’ve gone once in the last 5 years to take a buddy’s kid on some local ground one of my customers offered up.

ETA: Same deal here. Hunting rights have become a hot commodity for the upper/upper-middle class outside of the IC/CR corridor. CRP ground going for crazy money, hunting rights being sold, etc. Kids are really getting the short end of the stick on this one.
View Quote
DSM Ames corridor is just as bad.  I still have access to ground but it gets harder and harder every year.  I have friends that have hunted the IC corridor for decades and they are pretty much squeezed out of every place they've ever hunted.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 12:05:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Ya,
Gave up on pheasants several years ago around the Waterloo area.  My hunting dog passed to the great hunt in the sky and I never replaced him with another dog due to the lack of pheasants.  
Heck when I see a pheasant now, I would feel guilty if I shot one, so few in my area.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I stopped hunting several years ago. Ames-DM corridor.

Lack of birds on top of a bunch of 10 acre plot housing developments removing even the possibility to walk ditches.

Wound up taking a bunch of time and driving to get a couple squirrels or a rabbit each season.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 12:47:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Like I was telling my brother-in-law...Hunting is expensive. Beef and chicken are cheap.

Hunting leases are above crazy. I don't mind driving for some pheasant action on decent public ground, but even that has less and less appeal to me every year.

I had a no-fail deer spot at my father-in-laws. Unfortunately, he is no longer with us, and the mother-in-law is going to sell. I can't afford a second place. The thought of deer hunting on public ground has zero appeal.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ya,
Gave up on pheasants several years ago around the Waterloo area.  My hunting dog passed to the great hunt in the sky and I never replaced him with another dog due to the lack of pheasants.  
Heck when I see a pheasant now, I would feel guilty if I shot one, so few in my area.  
View Quote
Same here just east of you in Buchanan county.  Habitat sucks, its kinda coming back.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top