Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2022 2:01:46 PM EDT
There be trout in that ao?
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 7:10:15 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a lot.  Public access is the challenge in North Ga.  You can get in below the Blue Ridge dam if they're not drawing water, Horseshoe bend park (~4 hr delay after they start drawing at the dam).  There is the Hatchery past Suches, they stock below there.  If you're feeling sporty you can head to the WMA near Helen and look for native brookies.  Rock Creek is an option as well.  A lot of great trout water.  Also a lot of posted signs and over zealous Floridians...pay attention closely.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 9:09:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Fannin County calls itself the "Trout Capital of Georgia."
In addition to the places New4John listed, there are Jacks River, Hemptown Creek, Hot House Creek and Fighting Town Creek!
As he also said, there are lots of posted areas.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Tagging this thread, thanks for the tips.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 1:17:33 PM EDT
[#4]
The upper part of the Toccoa river upstream of Lake Blue Ridge has some great trout fishing but you have to float most of it. There are a few stretches you can access from the road or either the Deep Hole recreation area or Sandy Bottoms but the majority of it flows through private land.

Rock Creek isn't too far from Ellijay but most of it is too tight for fly fishing. I've fly fished parts of the Noontootla, short rod with roll casts is about all you can do there though which is okay.

Many of the streams I fished years ago have been in decline with all the development around Ellijay and Blue Ridge. They still get stocked but they can't sustain the populations they once did.

Link Posted: 10/20/2022 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Horseshoe Bend to McCaysville is a good float as well.  Some deep holes past the old RR bridge.
If you across into Copperhill, Ga/Tn have reciprocity for fishing there.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#6]
All I got is a good guy/guide that goes by Frog Hollow Fly Fishing Kenny Simmons.
He’s got a place where you have a big space to fine tune your setup, catch a few monsters plus most likely knows some good places off the beaten path.

https://froghollowflyfishing.com/
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 8:44:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Not sure of the terminology we are using here....

You have to "float" this and that....beware of posted.... So this means that access to the water is private property and posted No Trespassing you have to access the fishing areas by floating down the river?

Link Posted: 11/20/2022 3:24:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You have to "float" this and that....beware of posted.... So this means that access to the water is private property and posted No Trespassing you have to access the fishing areas by floating down the river?

View Quote

that is my understanding. you cannot touch the river bottom while “floating” in those posted areas. some people will make the river so that you’re not able to “float” certain portions, in order to prevent you from accessing the river section on their “property.”
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

that is my understanding. you cannot touch the river bottom while “floating” in those posted areas. some people will make the river so that you’re not able to “float” certain portions, in order to prevent you from accessing the river section on their “property.”
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never heard of the "not touching the bottom" part, that sounds like it would be impossible to enforce.

The Toccoa River I mentioned earlier flows through a lot of private property but is accessible to the public at a few access points. The land owners don't want picnickers and litterbugs on their land plus a lot of it has livestock on it. Some have docks or platforms at the waters edge that seem obvious enough to me that they are private but I realize some fools don't think the way I do and will trespass. There is enough of it that flows through National Forest land where one can get out and stretch your legs and have lunch that the private property part of it never deters me, I respect the landowners rights and would probably post my land too if I owned riverfront property.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top