Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2021 4:58:38 PM EDT
My brother and his family are headed to Dauphin Island to stay a few days in the coming weeks.

They have a house on the beach already booked.  My brother wanted to know if ARF had any input on what the fishing is like in the area.  Are they going to have any luck from the shore?  Spearfishing an option if he takes his mask and fins?  Lobstering opportunities?

Any other recommendations from locals or those who have been?

He and his wife have four kids aged 6, 11, 13, and 15.  They are all active and like to play outside.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#1]

Wading out to the first sand bar, using spinning gear, and tossing silver spoons off the beach is fun.

Bottom fishing in the surf.
1-3oz pyramid wt
'gulf rig', see pic below
circle hook
Shrimp, Fishbites, or squid for bait.
Rod holder stuck in the sand.

Fishbites are awesome, hard to toss off the hook and hard to steal.  I usually have one hook with a live or dead bait and a Fishbite on the other hook.
gulf rig

fish bites

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:36:25 PM EDT
[#2]
No real structure for spear fishing unless he has access to a boat and some local help.  

That said, Ive never done it, nor do I know anyone that does.  Look for youtube videos for more info.

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Was down two years ago. Caught a rather large White Trout out kayak fishing. Ran a full sized Zara Spook through a bait ball his clan was raiding. A local told me my fish would have landed me $12,000 two weeks earlier in the big Rodeo. I never ate fish tacos that expensive before.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top