Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2020 2:43:36 AM EDT
Just an update on my relocation.....House in Houston will close on  4/15.  So far no luck finding a house in the Nashville area that meets our wants.  I put want on there since we want XX bedrooms and XX bathrooms on an XX size lot with master down stairs and good schools.  And the schools must have an JRROTC pogrom for my son.  In the last 2 weeks we have gotten really serious in looking....several offers put in but we are either too late or too short. We put in an offer on Saturday for asking price plus some extra concessions and lost out.   Houses going in the Henderson/Gallatin or Nolensville area same day for asking price or above. Yet in last week almost no house have come up....seems like the virus is having an impact. Cant wait to join you peep up there, but this is making it difficult!!
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 2:50:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 2:57:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Housing market in Nashville and the surrounding area is tight. Good schools are damn near nonexistent in the public sector. You better move out about 50 miles if you have hard expectations you need to fill.
View Quote
Yep....hard.  issue is wife works downtown.  So 50 miles out wont work.  We have several areas nail down.....just need the houses to hit the market.  Ideally 20 miles out via road is as farthest out as we want to really go.  We can push it to 25 but areas like Murfeesburo/Thomson station are a bit too far.  Mt Juliet/Hendersonvlle/Nolensville are all in range.  Franklin needs fuck you money to live there so that is out.  God Bless those people on I40....just saw some of that damage.  Steel folded like a Damascus knife was being made.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 12:34:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Talk to a realtor and come see Chateau IronHand.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 1:17:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I re-sent you a link to the Zillow ad. We even dropped the price. Honestly, you’re not going to find a better deal around here than Chateau IronHand.

EDIT: Bodybagger is right, you're going to have to compromise somewhere in order to find what you're looking for. A 4-5 bedroom house 20 minutes from your wife's job is a pipe-dream unless you're made of money. Nashville isn't some hick town anymore, it's an 'It' city with the real estate market to prove it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 9:03:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I re-sent you a link to the Zillow ad. We even dropped the price. Honestly, you’re not going to find a bette deal around here than Chateau IronHand.
View Quote

Thanks John.  Looking for a house with a few more bedrooms.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 10:13:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a lead on a house 5 east of Lebanon.  For rent.  $2400 mo.  Everything is included.  Rent it for 6 months and shop for houses in you spare time.

Failing that, you need to tighten up your criteria.  I did what you are doing.  I flew into town and looked at homes that fit criteria.  I told my realtor if she showed me a single home that fell outside that criteria she would be fired.  I showed her a zero haliburton briefcase full of $100 Bill's and as soon as she found the house I would pay cash. It goes both ways.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Clarksville?   Look around the exit 11 area.     PM me if you need a realtor.  I have a good friend who is a squared away dude.    -Prae
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 12:59:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Clarksville?   Look around the exit 11 area.     PM me if you need a realtor.  I have a good friend who is a squared away dude.    -Prae
View Quote

If OP thinks that Murfreesboro is too far away, then Clarksville definitely will be.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 1:09:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 2:53:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't worry OP.

There will be firesale prices on homes here around May.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 2:57:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

When I worked up that way, I was commuting to the airport area every day from the Courtyard by Marriott in Murfreesboro, wasn't too bad (but my previous job had been in downtown Atlanta).  Plus I had some flexibility on what time I arrived.
View Quote

Flexibility on time is a big help.  If you can avoid the mad rush on I-24, or you happen to be going the opposite direction that most people are going at that time, it makes a huge difference.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 8:19:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 10:45:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I re-sent you a link to the Zillow ad. We even dropped the price. Honestly, you’re not going to find a bette deal around here than Chateau IronHand.

"Isn't it up to me how many bedrooms I have? This bedroom has an oven, this bedroom has a bunch of people watching TV in it, this bedroom is AKA a 'hallway'..."

"This bedroom is in that guy's house. *Knock-knock* Excuse me, sir, I believe you have one of my bedrooms, so don't decorate it..."
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 12:36:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for all the replies folks.  I work from home so I am flexable on where it is.  The Wife is the bread winner and works downtown so she calls the shots on how far she drives.  We thought we were getting close.  I flew in Monday to look at a house yesterday.  We liked the house and put an offer on it.  We offered less than the asking price since we noticed some things that would need to be fixed.  We clearly told them that their shower has a problem with the pan and would need to be redone and also there was drainage issues allowing water to flow into the detached garage when it rained.  As well as a few other issues.  We knows the items would come up in an inspection so we would rather come to an agreement on the price before hand to save some time.  These assholes claimed that there was no pan issue and that water in garage is from where they were cleaning.  I wish I would have taken pictures to show you folks.  You could see the flow of dirt from the wall where water was coming in.  Anyways they rejected our offer and said they already had a full offer on the table contingent upon a house sale.  Would have been nice to know this before I flew up there. Good thing airfare is cheap right now.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 12:50:29 PM EDT
[#18]
My wife has a pocket listing in Brentwood!

Best schools, best taxes, best govt, best of everything the state has to offer!

4/5 br about 3600+- sq ft finished with at least another 1,000 under the house that has a cement floor and double doors out to the acre + yard

$750k
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 12:53:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

4/5 br about 3600 sq ft finished with at least another 1,000 under the house that has a cement floor and double doors out to the acre + yard

$750k
View Quote

Looking for $500k or less.  Thank you though.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 12:56:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

4/5 br about 3600 sq ft finished with at least another 1,000 under the house that has a cement floor and double doors out to the acre + yard

$750k

There's your problem!  

My brother's $500k house got bid to over $550k before anyone even saw it.

The one my wife is getting ready to list is 15 miles from Vanderbilt via I-65
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 1:31:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Looking for $500k or less.
View Quote

A year ago, $500k would get you a (new) narrow, 3 story house with a few feet of grass on either side of it, and room to park two cars in front of it, ...in a ghetto area of Nashville.

First, anything and everything inside Nashville went nuts on price, then people started looking at real estate outside Nashville (but not too far outside Nashville), which drove up the prices in those locations.  That leaves the options of paying a lot of money, getting lucky and jumping on something before other people notice it, or looking at options that are farther out.

Link Posted: 3/25/2020 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Keep in mind that Brentwood costs a little more to buy in but is cheaper in the long run

Taxes are substantially lower than Nashville
Brentwood public schools are on par with the best private schools, thereby saving thousands per year
crime is lower
Insurance is lower

Link Posted: 3/25/2020 1:47:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Yep, hence why we are looking in Hnedersonville/Mt J/Nolenville area.  Those still have good schools and in our price range.  Brentwood needs fuck you money.  We still have sometime.  Need to be in the house by July so we can get the kids registered.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 1:52:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yep, hence why we are looking in Hnedersonville/Mt J/Nolenville area.  Those still have good schools and in our price range.  Brentwood needs fuck you money.  We still have sometime.  Need to be in the house by July so we can get the kids registered.
View Quote

You really need to hire someone to help you

Hendersonville High ACT score 22.1
Mt. Juliet High ACT score 22.5
Nolensville High ACT score 23.8
Brentwood High ACT score 27.2
Ravenwood High ACT score 27.5

My kid went to Ravenwood, got a 35, and is now attending Vanderbilt.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 1:55:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If OP thinks that Murfreesboro is too far away, then Clarksville definitely will be.
View Quote
True.   Plus you have Death Race I-24 in the AM & PM
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 2:25:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh.  Weld up new bumpers out of 1/4" steel plate, weld some bars over the windshield (I took a good sized chunk of plywood to the windshield, a few years back), make your brush guard so that it gives full protection to the grille and lights, buy some run-flat tires, and you're good.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Chateau IronHand will have a new owner next month, so OP is SOL out here.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 8:57:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Chateau IronHand will have a new owner next month, so OP is SOL out here.
View Quote

Well glad you got it moving!  Sorry I am not the one....so much looked forward to that hallway bedroom.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a realtor already helping us out.  Guy has been great.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 9:50:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes but does he really know the area?  If he doesn't understand the real differences in areas it will cost you in the long run.  

It sounds like he does not.  Thanks to my kid's Brentwood education she got a $300k scholarship

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:05:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Just an update....close on a house in Nolensville next week.  Finally got the Houston closed on.....took almost a month longer since the guy had issues with his loan not going though at first since he owns a restaurant.....a Chinese restaurant.   Packed all the guns today.....wife wants to know why i need some many AR15s. She was not buying that each one serves a different purpose. I claimed the 450 bushy was a bear gun....but she knew I bought it long before we were even moving. She eventually went away.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 6:11:46 PM EDT
[#32]
The wife's drive to & from Nolensville isn't going to be something she's going to enjoy, IMO.

But glad you at least got things settled. Hope the move goes smoothly.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 6:53:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 7:27:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By BobCole:
The wife's drive to & from Nolensville isn't going to be something she's going to enjoy, IMO.

But glad you at least got things settled. Hope the move goes smoothly.
View Quote

At least they're are multiple ways to get downtown (65. 24, Nolensville Pike/Rd, etc.), depending on where she's working......

Welcome to Nolensville......now you just need a membership to Strategic Edge....
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:08:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By bodybagger:
Tell your wife to download the Waze app. 41A is the main road through Nolensville out of Nashville and it can get pretty backed up in the peak times. If you know the area you can go back roads around the congestion. Waze will reroute you around if you don't know the area. 
I used to work in that area a lot. Tell me if you ever see the ghost soldier on horseback late at night and I'll give you the rest of the story....
View Quote

She has been using waze for a few years now.  We have a Nolensville address but in Rutherford CO so she will have fun on 24.  But she will be going in at 6am once her office opens back up and off around 3.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By mongo333:

At least they're are multiple ways to get downtown (65. 24, Nolensville Pike/Rd, etc.), depending on where she's working......

Welcome to Nolensville......now you just need a membership to Strategic Edge....
View Quote

That place looks cool.  Price is not too bad either.  How busy is it normally?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:16:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By jonboy20:

She has been using waze for a few years now.  We have a Nolensville address but in Rutherford CO so she will have fun on 24.  But she will be going in at 6am once her office opens back up and off around 3.
View Quote

Tell her to avoid any side trips that will delay her getting out of Nashville, in the afternoon.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:19:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By JPN:

Tell her to avoid any side trips that will delay her getting out of Nashville, in the afternoon.
View Quote

LOL....she is a woman.......
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:20:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By jonboy20:

Looking for $500k or less.  Thank you though.
View Quote

I’ve got a log lodge on ten acres on a bluff I’ll sell you for 500k.

It’s a bit further East... you’ll wake up everyday on vacation though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top