Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2021 7:33:44 AM EDT
Yesterday I spoke with DNR's Range Supervisory Manager out of Columbia. He oversees all DNR ranges in the state. I learned that of all the manned DNR ranges that historically Wateree has the lowest monthly average attendance. This has been so since the range first opened; he said he had trouble understanding why since the range is so close to Columbia.

I reminded him that Wateree is competing with:

Manchester
Panteao
Sandhills
Shooter's Choice
PSA and PSA's outdoor range
Ricochet
Fully Loaded
MCRC

And likely some  more I don't know about. Obviously private "home" ranges figure into this as well.

There are obviously a lot of people who don't mind paying to shoot at private ranges or on private land (legally or illicitly) for any number of reasons.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 3:03:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Are they just eyeballing it? I'm curious how they come up with this stat since signing in isn't required.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 7:29:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe they're making chicken scratches on a notepad. The man told me that lately Wateree averages about 700 shooters a month (I didn't ask if that figure included the shotgun and clays ranges) but the CHS range is about 1200 shooters a month.

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:32:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe if they did a little more publicity/advertising.
I've been looking forward to having a good place to shoot over on this side of town, but not being familiar with the layout and how things work, I've been going to my friends place less than 5 mins from there.

The DNR website contradicts itself by saying they only offer skeet and then the bottom says they have a rifle range.
The photo on the website looks like some middle eastern village. A few updated photos would do wonders. Maybe a map of the layout.

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:16:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe if they allowed steel plates for pistol calibers? And didn't they ban shotguns without a stock as well?  
I understand the world is full of idiots, but this is why I plan on joining Sandhills in Lugoff.  I do see that it is closed for construction?  Anyone got any insight on that?  I know there was some issues with Target warehouse behind them.  They have found bullets laying up on the roof.  Are they putting in lane blinds of some sort?
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:30:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe that Sandhill's issues with Target's distribution center ended up being a nothingburger.

Evidently the antis who demanded the range be closed made a big deal about having the county council on their side when closer to the truth no one on the council was ever contacted and some of those council members said they didn't appreciate being sandbagged like that.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe that Sandhill's issues with Target's distribution center ended up being a nothingburger.

Evidently the antis who demanded the range be closed made a big deal about having the county council on their side when closer to the truth no one on the council was ever contacted and some of those council members said they didn't appreciate being sandbagged like that.
View Quote

You mean some lefty gun haters lied??   << My shocked face.  

I've often wondered how private ranges would hold out with the ammo situation the way it is.  Even for most that have a stock pile still won't shoot it because we're they're saving up for the apocalypse.  But I was thisclosetojoining Sandhills when the COVID crap started.  I wanted a range I can visit while driving my Mustang. My current place is a friends farm out in Elgin, but it requires something with high ground clearance and even 4WD if it has rained in the past week.
And now I'm moving out to that side of lake Wateree, Sandhills is on my way home.

EDIT: I also noticed that the Gun Vault in Pontiac is no longer there.  But doing a web search it shows it as being at the Sandhills range.  I knew they were associated somehow, but are they possibly building a new gun store there?
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 3:43:49 PM EDT
[#7]
BubbaShootz and I did a tour of Cola area gun shops last week and for a moment considered going to The Gun Vault but decided it wasn't worth the side trip. Hey, we guessed correctly!

Have no idea if they are or if they are not relocating to Sandhills range. Last time I was in there was probably 3 years ago during the salad days and they didn't have much in there then. Other than making one online purchase of an accessory item (they are a Gearfire associate site) years ago I haven't done any other business with them.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 5:19:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I lied. Gun Vault is still there.  

I thought it was in the same building as the Pontiac Magistrate. It’s on the other side of Pontiac Pizza.

Didn’t stop though. Had to get to the vet for pups meds.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 10:25:59 AM EDT
[#9]
They have a lot of heavy equipment at Sandhills.  Looks like they are digging to China
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top