Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2022 5:49:00 PM EDT
I haven't done a face to face purchase since the 80s..  What are the new rules with getting titled and registered? Are DMV appointments still backed up?
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 8:24:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the process is pretty much the same for private sales; fill out the old title, then go in for the new title and registration. Depending on the area, some locations have days with walk in service and no appointments needed. Probably want to verify your local one has that on the dmv site.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 11:36:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Check the walk-in hours of your local/preferred DMV.

Just did this the other day:

- call insurance to activate the car on your policy.

- get emissions inspection (if your jurisdiction requires it).

- 24+ hours later I walked into DMV at 4:45pm …and 15 minutes later I walked out with new tags, registered for 2 years.

Just needed to fill out the old title and half of a form.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 1:15:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.  Guess it hasn't changed and the DMV isn't   two months out on appointments.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 4:59:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks.  Guess it hasn't changed and the DMV isn't   two months out on appointments.
View Quote

This should help.

From DMV:

Beginning Wednesday, March 2, 2022, the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will:

Expand access to DMV Customer Service Centers by offering both appointments and walk-ins Monday through Friday.

Appointments and walk-ins will be available Monday through Friday at all 75 customer service centers (CSCs) starting on March 2.
   Saturday will remain open for walk-ins at offices with Saturday hours (CSC hours vary by location).
   Currently, customers may reserve an appointment on Monday or Friday or walk in for service on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, or Saturday.

More info at the link.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 5:47:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Get a separate bill of sale if your purchase price differs from blue book, it could save you some sale tax money.  Look for DMV Selects or smaller offices.

Download the forms from the DMV site and try and fill it out, saves time and things like mileage Gross vehicle weight etc.

If your in NoVa and pay for an apartment for a kid in college in Va, use that address for the kids car. Insurance could be lower and no emissions.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a separate bill of sale if your purchase price differs from blue book, it could save you some sale tax money.  Look for DMV Selects or smaller offices.

Download the forms from the DMV site and try and fill it out, saves time and things like mileage Gross vehicle weight etc.

If your in NoVa and pay for an apartment for a kid in college in Va, use that address for the kids car. Insurance could be lower and no emissions.
View Quote

As a follow up I got a Thursday appointment on Monday, out on 10 minutes.  Look for smaller DMV selects.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top