Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2021 10:03:13 PM EDT
I see we have some hikes and APC style training down by Waco/Houston, but is anybody interested in doing that around the DFW area?

There are lots of miles of trails on the Caddo / LBJ National Grasslands, plus other locales in the area. Any interest?
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:04:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep.

Don't have the bandwidth to plan anything. But set a date and time and see who shows
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:36:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Just throwing a thread out to the where and when is how I started it. First day, nobody showed. Second time got some bites. It's hit or miss as everyone has lives and obligations but folks will show up.

The biggest issue is this state is so goddamned big, most folks don't want to drive 2 hours on the regular. I have to do that roughly every weekend anyway, so there was no way I was gonna start showing up regularly down in Houston or DFW.

If you start it, folks will show eventually.

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:01:40 PM EDT
[#3]
No.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#4]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/Texas/69-647408/

You might @ a few of the folks that started the linked thread. I believe precovid the DFW crew had some momentum with APC style events.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:13:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I’m interested. I made it to one before. If someone wants to run with organizing I will do my best to make it out.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:17:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I took my kids out to Goat island last year. I didn't have a good map and ended up looking for a second trail back out of that place that either didn't exist or wasn't well maintained. We basically bushwhacked our way back out of there for half a mile till we hit a trail. I need to get a new GPS.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:09:16 PM EDT
[#7]
We did a few last spring but the organizer left town so it kind of died off.

I'd be in.

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 1:26:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We did a few last spring but the organizer left town so it kind of died off.

I'd be in.

View Quote

Those were fun times.

I've been hiking with the family nearly every weekend but it's not quite as intense hiking with an 8 year old.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 10:41:33 PM EDT
[#9]
We had a fairly decent crew meeting  a few times a month but momentum fizzled out once covid hit and everyone's lives got flipped upside down.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 12:16:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Deleted
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 5:26:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I think we’ve done River Kegacy in Arlington before.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:26:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Forgive my ignorance but what does APC stand for?  Like plates?
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:53:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Previously we have been out at, with my impressions of each.  Haven't been out in 2021 so I don't know how busy they are this year.

Cedar Ridge Preserve (near Cedar Hill State Park)
7171 Mountain Creek Pkwy, Dallas, TX 75249
Very busy with lots of trail runners and hikers, narrow paths with shade, limited parking, hilly for medium to tough workout

Murrell Park (north side of Lake Grapevine)
880 Simmons Rd, Flower Mound, TX 75022
Busy but not overwhelmed by mountain bikes and hikers. narrow paths with some shade, small ridges for medium workout

Wynnwood Park (east short of Lake Lewisville)
1000 Lebanon Rd, The Colony, TX 75056
Relatively lightly used by bikes and walkers, wide improved trail with some shade, essentially flat so easy workout.

I am investigating the Trinity Trail on the west side of Lake Lavon.  It is maintained by the horse organization but it open to hikers too.  I was just looking for something more isolated but still relatively near the metroplex.  http://www.trinitytrailriders.org/trail-map/
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 1:17:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Forgive my ignorance but what does APC stand for?  Like plates?
View Quote

https://www.americanpioneercorps.org/
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 7:06:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Deleted
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have never done anything like this before, so I am pretty lost on what to expect, if y'all ever have one and I can attend. Seems like what i read, you pack a backpack 35 w long rifle or 45 lbs of whatever (not counting any food or water) and go on a 6 mile hike. Do y'all hang out afterwards or anything? Do yall suit up like full metal gear solid, or is this more like throw on some hiking clothes and hat and go on a walk and bs along the way? Mainly what are the expectations to meet for a hike like yall do? Do yall do alot up/down terrian like a obstacle course or just distance/time the main objective?
View Quote

Wear comfortable clothes, and walk the distance at a certain pace. Usually the trails are mixed terrain. I think the last time we all went to Chili’s.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 9:49:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Wear comfortable clothes, and walk the distance at a certain pace. Usually the trails are mixed terrain. I think the last time we all went to Chili’s.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have never done anything like this before, so I am pretty lost on what to expect, if y'all ever have one and I can attend. Seems like what i read, you pack a backpack 35 w long rifle or 45 lbs of whatever (not counting any food or water) and go on a 6 mile hike. Do y'all hang out afterwards or anything? Do yall suit up like full metal gear solid, or is this more like throw on some hiking clothes and hat and go on a walk and bs along the way? Mainly what are the expectations to meet for a hike like yall do? Do yall do alot up/down terrian like a obstacle course or just distance/time the main objective?

We are in public so it's just hiking gear, no reason to worry the squares unnecessarily
Main reason is to meet other folks, close second to get a good workout.  Most folks don't carry a load for a decent distance, it's a skill.

This is a good thread: https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/The-Martial-Art-of-Foot-Soldiering/5-1609811/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top