BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/17/2020 5:39:08 PM EDT
NEW UPDATE DUE TO RESEARCH

Ok this is what I got so far copy pasta from the site
North Shore Trail: MADD Shelter to Murrell Park is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Flower Mound, Texas that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I am gonna get more info on CCW, I don't have that info yet.

This is an easy starter.  Out and back.  3.1 miles, with an easy rating.  Come as you are, with a pack, with a weighted pack whatever.  This is the all inclusive hike.  We are starting simple and easy.

Sign in with your post.  February 23rd 2pm.  It is the middle of the day.  Weather is showing AM showers, utilize appropriate footwear.

Link to get this map.  MADD shelter trail.

https://www.alltrails.com/explore/us/texas/flower-mound

DIRECTIONS:
Find Simmons road in Flower Mound.  Go south to the lake/Murrell Park.  Make a right on Murrell Park Rd.  Follow it around to Green Oaks Dr.  Make a right on Green Oaks Dr.  There is parking at the trail head, per satellite photos.  Going to attempt to check it out in person today.

Link Posted: 2/17/2020 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have expertise on this trail please chime in.  It has been a few years since I have hiked it.  I have only done it a couple times when my son was younger.  I remember very little about it and haven't gotten over to look at it yet.  But I know this whole trail system was fun to hike.

I am gonna bring a weighted pack and bottle of water.  This easy trail shouldn't take an hour to hike in my estimation.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 5:46:46 PM EDT
[#2]
What’s the official distance to qualify for the ABB? I thought it was 6 miles min? So two trips?
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#3]
In for the 23rd.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's the official distance to qualify for the ABB? I thought it was 6 miles min? So two trips?
View Quote
I don't remember.  Sounds right.  This is a starter trip for the aged and fat.  If you wanna make two trips no worries.  I might join you.

This is to get the timid out also.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Taggage. Maybe
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 6:15:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm actually gonna be in that part of town that morning for a family get-together. I could very well be able to join.

I'm writing this on my calendar. Not a 100% sure I can do it yet, but I will know for sure soon.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 7:05:53 PM EDT
[#7]
4.3 miles 1hr and 3 mins at the park on concrete.  All walking.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 7:15:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been doing practice runs. I can do four miles an hour over flat ground with 40 pound pack. I will add another five and try to do at least the six miles.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have been doing practice runs. I can do four miles an hour over flat ground with 40 pound pack. I will add another five and try to do at least the six miles.
View Quote
I have not done it with a 40lb pack yet.  Just 25lbs.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:15:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm in.

Thanks for choosing a Sunday; they're much more doable for me.

See you guys then.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 11:28:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm in.  Sunday at 2:00 it is!

Thanks for organizing this, Lug1!
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:11:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm in.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:25:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm in.
View Quote
It says you are groot?  Which is it, IN or GROOT?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What's the official distance to qualify for the ABB? I thought it was 6 miles min? So two trips?
View Quote
Battle buddies guidelines thread

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/American-Battle-Buddies-American-Pioneer-Corps-Guidelines/5-2291145/

6 miles in two hours or less.  This trail twice would qualify.  OOPS......Provisional....

b.Provisional.1.In order to achieve a Provisional rating, a prospective member must complete one hike, 3 miles in length, with at least two other persons unrelated to them as witnesses. The prospective member must complete the hike in under an hour while carrying 25lbs (excluding water weight) in a pack, and a long gun. The prospective member may choose to omit the long gun and instead add an additional 10lbs dry weight to their pack.

SO add 35lbs to your pack and do the trail in under 1 hour and you can obtain provisional.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:49:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Battle buddies guidelines thread

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/American-Battle-Buddies-American-Pioneer-Corps-Guidelines/5-2291145/

6 miles in two hours or less.  This trail twice would qualify.  OOPS......Provisional....

b.Provisional.1.In order to achieve a Provisional rating, a prospective member must complete one hike, 3 miles in length, with at least two other persons unrelated to them as witnesses. The prospective member must complete the hike in under an hour while carrying 25lbs (excluding water weight) in a pack, and a long gun. The prospective member may choose to omit the long gun and instead add an additional 10lbs dry weight to their pack.

SO add 35lbs to your pack and do the trail in under 1 hour and you can obtain provisional.
View Quote
That works for me. I’m already doing 40 now. If we get a decent group we can all get provisional. I’m going to scout a park near me that has longer trails.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 12:04:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That works for me. I'm already doing 40 now. If we get a decent group we can all get provisional. I'm going to scout a park near me that has longer trails.
View Quote
Murrell Park has many trails.  They have 6 milers and plus I believe.

What I just learned through phone call.......If it gets too wet they close the trails

It is Federal Land, there are no guns allowed, legally, period.  Plan accordingly.

I will be looking for non Federal land to at least CCW on in the future.  We have M35Ben with an offer to use his land for rifle hikes and I had and offer near Stephenville for land use also.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Great Job Lug1 and all who helped set this up. I would love to be there, but I'm due at Presbyterian Hosp Mon @8:45 for my DaVinci Robot dance. Will be doing gastro prep by noon. Please keep me in the loop for future events.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:53:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Great Job Lug1 and all who helped set this up. I would love to be there, but I'm due at Presbyterian Hosp Mon @8:45 for my DaVinci Robot dance. Will be doing gastro prep by noon. Please keep me in the loop for future events.
View Quote
Quick recovery my friend.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It says you are groot?  Which is it, IN or GROOT?
View Quote
There is always a jokester.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:18:27 AM EDT
[#20]
I would love to join in if you do this again on a non-Sunday.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
We will be mixing it up.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We will be mixing it up.
View Quote
Good to hear and I look forward to it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:30:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Anyone in the Midlo/Arlington area that might be able to swing by and pick me up in Mansfield?  SOL vehicle wise right now.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:42:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I think I'm out y'all. My wife and I both have this day off which is the first day in probably 8 weekends. Gonna do the family thing. My schedule should clear up in late April/may. Of course the weather will be warmer then but more sweat to be earned
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:41:47 PM EDT
[#25]
TO DA TOP
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:15:37 PM EDT
[#26]
OK THINGS CHANGE....

https://www.facebook.com/NorthshoreTrail/

This link is currently showing our TRAIL IS CLOSED.  THIS COULD CHANGE BY SUNDAY.  I kind of expect it to.  BUT STAY TUNED.  I will UPDATE.  Please don't bail on my because of today status.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:07:05 AM EDT
[#27]
I’m most likely in on this but will know for sure tomorrow. Ive been reading about ABB and it sounds fun, plus I need to start hiking with a pack in case we get drawn for elk hunting New Mexico. We used to mountain bike this trail a lot 7-8 years ago and it was one of the best trails in DFW at that time.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
We will be mixing it up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We will be mixing it up.
And not on A shift
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#29]
At this point the trail is still closed.  I am thinking they will open it tonight or tomorrow????  I will post in the title tomorrow OPEN or CLOSED.

If it is closed, obviously our hike is cancelled.  Say a prayer.  Wanting this to happen.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
At this point the trail is still closed.  I am thinking they will open it tonight or tomorrow????  I will post in the title tomorrow OPEN or CLOSED.

If it is closed, obviously our hike is cancelled.  Say a prayer.  Wanting this to happen.
View Quote
Let me check Erwin park in mckinney as a back up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:20:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
What’s the issue with the trail?  Private event or damage?
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:36:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
@Lug1 what resource are you using for the trail closed notice? I’m trying to check Erwin. It’s a 7.8 mile loop with open and forested areas. I just want to find current conditions.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:41:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

@Lug1 what resource are you using for the trail closed notice? I’m trying to check Erwin. It’s a 7.8 mile loop with open and forested areas. I just want to find current conditions.
View Quote
A lot of trails in the area double as mountain bike trails.  Check DORBA.org (not hot on purpose).  DORBA does a lot of volunteer trail maintenance.  So cities typically let the trail stewards make open/closed calls.

Erwin is closed.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

A lot of trails in the area double as mountain bike trails.  Check DORBA.org (not hot on purpose).  DORBA does a lot of volunteer trail maintenance.  So cities typically let the trail stewards make open/closed calls.

Erwin is closed.
View Quote
I will check that out for future reference. There should be someplace with an open trail around. Even if it’s paved.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:27:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

@Lug1 what resource are you using for the trail closed notice? I'm trying to check Erwin. It's a 7.8 mile loop with open and forested areas. I just want to find current conditions.
View Quote
@mah827

The facebook link I posted above is one of the official links.  The DORBA web site is the other.  DORBA runs the facebook.  DORBA page was hard for me to navigate and I could not make the link work so I used that facebook link.  Just look a few posts up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I will check that out for future reference. There should be someplace with an open trail around. Even if it's paved.
View Quote
If it does not rain I expect Northshore MADD to open up.

Otherwise River Legacy is concrete just further south.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:30:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What's the issue with the trail?  Private event or damage?
View Quote
DORBA manages the trails out there.  They closed them when they are too soft.  It creates damage to the trail, since it is both hiking and mountain bike.  The trail is either open or closed.  There is no hiking only.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#39]
OP UPDATED Murrell park Northshore trail always open to foot traffic.  MADD SHELTER TRAIL is one leg of the Northshore.

WE ARE A GO.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote
OP UPDATED

Always open to foot traffic
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:45:53 AM EDT
[#41]
OP UPDATED ALWAYS OPEN TO FOOT TRAFFIC.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks for the update I will try to be there at 1:45.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:21:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Awesome!  Not all the DORBA trails stay open to foot traffic so this is a good option to have in rainy season.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 1:18:49 PM EDT
[#44]
See ya'll there.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Headed to trail head now.  Be there by 2.  Looks like rain

hiking anyway if they let me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Oh yea.  Dodge Ram.  Gray.

master race crew cut guy

Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:59:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
See ya'll there.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:22:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Headed to trail head now.  Be there by 2.  Looks like rain

hiking anyway if they let me.
View Quote
I’m ready rain or shine. I will get dry later.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#49]
We are here.  Post by 2:05.  Otherwise the train leaves at 2:05.  We will wait a reasonable time if you post.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 4:04:43 PM EDT
[#50]
The A train is leaving.   It's raining
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top