Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2021 11:51:44 PM EDT
Whoever’s concerned...

We should start banding together... Real fast like.

I’m suggesting. People do the same based on county....expand from there.

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:46:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes. This is the right thing to do. I am in the Western Catskills/Upper Susquehanna.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:31:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Eastern Nassau. Definitely need a method of coms for HTF's real quick
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 6:00:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Eastern Nassau. Definitely need a method of coms for HTF's real quick
View Quote
Meet and vet each other, and form a group using Signal.

As a back up you can have someone who knows what they're doing in the group program your baofengs/whatever walkie talkies you have (or buy) to the same frequencies, don't forget to add some common freqs and any repeaters for your area they can be found online. You can name them whatever you want if you use CHIRP to program the radios, be sure to add National Weather Service stations too.

And then don't use them unless the SHTF, unless you have a Ham license or some old guy will triangulate your POS and turn you into the FCC for broadcasting without a license.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:23:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Monroe County
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Central Suffolk
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Leftist are emboldened in my AO, actively trying to cancel and doxx members of the community for having and being vocal about conservative values. Be careful who you trust.

Dutchess county.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Central Suffolk
View Quote
I live in North Central Nassau and work in Southwest Suffolk. "Interesting" commute to say the least but it is a reverse.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:33:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

As a back up you can have someone who knows what they're doing in the group program your baofengs/whatever walkie talkies you have (or buy) to the same frequencies, don't forget to add some common freqs and any repeaters for your area they can be found online. You can name them whatever you want if you use CHIRP to program the radios, be sure to add National Weather Service stations too.

And then don't use them unless the SHTF, unless you have a Ham license or some old guy will triangulate your POS and turn you into the FCC for broadcasting without a license.
View Quote

I'm no stranger to radios have a few in my daily driver can probably transmit from 100-900 MHz with or without encryption currently. Ham is long expired but should probably remedy that.

I can vouch for @Hanz and I probably need to see him soon.

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:36:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Ulster county.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm no stranger to radios have a few in my daily driver can probably transmit from 100-900 MHz with or without encryption currently. Ham is long expired but should probably remedy that.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like you just volunteered to be the comms guy then

Idk if baofengs do encryption? Our radios are set up with an offset and buried in a mostly unused channel in my AO I think theres a sub channel involved as well, not entirely sure I'm not the comms guy in my group lol. We know we aren't going to be the only ones listening if SHTF though.

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 5:39:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hi @Bogie.  Thanks for the vouch.  Don't come see me - I left that job.  Looking now to leave NY.

I have a few Baofengs, I did program them but am unlicensed.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Idk if baofengs do encryption? Our radios are set up with an offset and buried in a mostly unused channel in my AO I think theres a sub channel involved as well, not entirely sure I'm not the comms guy in my group lol. We know we aren't going to be the only ones listening if SHTF though.

View Quote

I don’t believe the baofengs do encryption, at least I haven’t come across the setting to do so. They’ll be lots of people listening, a good scanner will pick up most comms as soon as the mic is keyed.

Edit: typo
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 6:01:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Western suffolk. Can put you in touch with people if need be.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:46:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't believe the baofengs do encryption, at least I haven't come across the setting to do so. They'll be lots of people listening, a good scanner will pick up most comms as soon as the mic is keyed.

Edit: typo
View Quote
I figured as much, for that price point I don't think you're getting encrypted comms . Even if you did, you know some agency out there is still listening to it, not like you're going to have a radio crypto system like .mil does.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I know this may sound naive, possibly sarcastic, but honestly concerned. What’s changed?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:59:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have no experience with Baofengs but I'll offer any help on radios as far as programming details. I guess I'm kinda a coms guys. Truck has a few Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#17]
ost
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:48:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Eastern Nassau
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Central Suffolk.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Suffolk
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I can vouch for Disturbed0013.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:51:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Dutchess County and hope within 6 months Tennessee.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:58:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not far from you now and also thinking about Eastern TN myself.  Going to take a trip down this spring and scope things out.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I can vouch for Disturbed0013.
View Quote

Thanks Brother
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Eastern Ulster
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:39:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Get Hold of your local HAM clubs, they have people called ELMERS that help people with comms.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:11:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Not far from you now and also thinking about Eastern TN myself.  Going to take a trip down this spring and scope things out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am looking at the tri-cities area. Brother just bought a house there. Kingsport, Bristol and Johnson City are amazing. Been down there a couple times now and love it more each time.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm in rockland/orange. My plan is tennessee as well. Crossville/cookeville area. Havent narrowed it down yet.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:21:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been researching TN for a few years now. Crossville, cookville, area around norris lake I am looking at.
Im in rockland/orange
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm in rockland/orange. My plan is tennessee as well. Crossville/cookeville area. Havent narrowed it down yet.
View Quote

Looks like Tennessee is the place to be...lol.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Guys let's try and do some regional lunches, get to know each other, even if it's only 2 or 3 guys at a time.  I'm not much of an organizer but I would attend.  Personally, I would do anywhere in Rockland, Orange, Ulster, Sullivan, Westchester, Putnam or Dutchess Counties.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Guys let's try and do some regional lunches, get to know each other, even if it's only 2 or 3 guys at a time.  I'm not much of an organizer but I would attend.  Personally, I would do anywhere in Rockland, Orange, Ulster, Sullivan, Westchester, Putnam or Dutchess Counties.
View Quote

I am up for it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Wasn't there a gathering a few years ago at Croxley's in Farmingdale?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:45:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Wasn't there a gathering a few years ago at Croxley's in Farmingdale?
View Quote

I believe there was.... I was unable to make it.

I’m no expert on these matters ... and I’m completely open to suggestions.... but off the top of my head I’m thinking we reach out each other and just go out and grab a beer or two.... by general area. Just some hang outs and meet ups...  outdoor be awkward but desperate times call for desperate measures.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:22:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Hello fellow gun enthusiasts
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:10:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:58:13 AM EDT
[#37]
I am on the border of Orange, Ulster and Sullivan Counties.  The last get togethers I attended were the closing of the SKD shop near West Point and the Schleshingers steakhouse get together in Newburgh organized by Mag162.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Let's try and pick a date, general time and vague geographic location first.  Once we determine who is in, the exact location should be disclosed only via PM for OPSEC.  

I don't know what schedules you guys run, but weekday evenings are about the only thing not good for me.  I can do breakfast or lunch any day of the week usually, and anything on weekends.

I'll get the ball rolling and suggest the Newburgh-Beacon area.  With the Taconic,  I87 and I84 we can get pretty much anyone in the Mid Hudson region.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Let's try and pick a date, general time and vague geographic location first.  Once we determine who is in, the exact location should be disclosed only via PM for OPSEC.  

I don't know what schedules you guys run, but weekday evenings are about the only thing not good for me.  I can do breakfast or lunch any day of the week usually, and anything on weekends.

I'll get the ball rolling and suggest the Newburgh-Beacon area.  With the Taconic,  I87 and I84 we can get pretty much anyone in the Mid Hudson region.
View Quote

My schedule is pretty much the same. Can do anytime up to about noon weekdays, weekends are good anytime. The 84 Diner is open, but willing to go pretty much anywhere that is good for the rest of the group.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:00:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
the closing of the SKD shop
View Quote

That was a sad day. Joe was a good guy.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#41]
There was a meet up at Croxley's years back.

probably start with regionals (Nassau/Suffolk, Southern tier, Western, Northern Tier)

Im working 2 gigs but can make most weeknights in the evenings maybe a weekend depending on lead time (which I think we may be short on)
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:39:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yes. This is the right thing to do. I am in the Western Catskills/Upper Susquehanna.
View Quote

Same here +-.

Tahawus  I think you and I met once, I know we have mutual aquaintences not on arfcom.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:31:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Same here +-.

Tahawus  I think you and I met once, I know we have mutual aquaintences not on arfcom.
View Quote

I think we did. There was a lot going on back in ‘13 to about ‘16. I stepped away from the meetings and rallies and stuff. Just got burned out. I’d be interested now in getting a few folks together in this region. All is not lost - yet.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:28:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:10:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you find a place you like place a bid on it.. Don't wait because it will be gone..

Houses don't last on the market... many people are now just buying as soon as they drive up with out even looking at the place in depth.. because it will be gone..
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:24:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Western Nassau Pick a date and time and lets get the ball rolling.
View Quote

And the official NYHTF social director is back in business!

Would try to meet if work does not get in the way...  And it usually does.

Bill

I can vouch for MAG162, not a recommendation just vouch for him.  J/K
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:53:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top