Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/17/2022 12:44:49 PM EDT
Has anyone recently done a permit and can attest to the wait time for it to be received?
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know yet but I'm about to start the process and file in the next week.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 1:22:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Getting ready to do a renewal soon.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Last year took about 6 weeks. Maximum
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 2:02:59 PM EDT
[#4]
How does it work here in SC?  Does it get handled by local Sheriff or do they just handle the prints and everything goes to the state to handle?

In Va it was all done through the local PD but state level certificate.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How does it work here in SC?  Does it get handled by local Sheriff or do they just handle the prints and everything goes to the state to handle?

In Va it was all done through the local PD but state level certificate.
View Quote

The local sheriffs in SC are not part of the CWP process.

SLED handles the applications and approvals.

You need to turn in fingerprints with your application, some people have that done by local police department. Most CWP instructors do prints as part of the course, so you don’t need to go anywhere else.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 3:05:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Renewed last year.  Took every bit of 90 days
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 3:52:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The local sheriffs in SC are not part of the CWP process.

SLED handles the applications and approvals.

You need to turn in fingerprints with your application, some people have that done by local police department. Most CWP instructors do prints as part of the course, so you don’t need to go anywhere else.
View Quote

Get electronic prints done. There are places all over the state that does them. They even file for you. My instructor provided the information.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 4:54:21 PM EDT
[#8]
its longer im told since they waived some of the fees.  more applicants.

but still less than many other states. so the sooner you do it, the sooner it will be done.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 5:34:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess I'll get started tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I took my class over the weekend.  Now I need to submit the paperwork and get prints.  Anyone use IdentoGo yet?  Seems like there is an office in my region where I can get the digital prints done and likely the paperwork from what I'm reading.

From the class we were told the state has 90 days to give you the permit or decline.  So it (according to the instructor) must be done within 90 days.  He did say they were bad about rejecting for stupid reasons just to elongate their 90 day window.  Some times it isn't an actual rejection but rather a request for additional information.  One situation his student was required to submit a copy of their Driver's License three times.  By the third the color copy was the size of a full 8.5" x 11" paper.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I took my class over the weekend.  Now I need to submit the paperwork and get prints.  Anyone use IdentoGo yet?  Seems like there is an office in my region where I can get the digital prints done and likely the paperwork from what I'm reading.
View Quote

My son used them. They took care of prints and submitting the paperwork electronically for him. I think it was close to 90 days to get them back.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 12:27:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Awesome! Thank you very much.

Love your avatar BTW.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 7:23:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I used it as well, was piece of cake to get done. was one a few minutes from work.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 8:57:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Nam, the earliest appointment I could get for IdentoGO is second week of September.  I'm hoping it is still faster than mailing it in.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 10:49:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Mine was done in about 45 days for a new permit back in March of this year.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 11:37:16 PM EDT
[#16]
72 hours
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 10:53:59 AM EDT
[#17]
I submitted a change of address and it took SLED 63 days to mail me my new card.  As long as they took to update an address, I'm guessing that they re-ran my background...but I still have to renew in January.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 3:48:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Filed through IdentoGO today.  I'll update once I hear something back.  Hopefully it will be quick. One of the ladies in the office said they have seen them back in as little as two weeks recently.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 2:39:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I just completed the online renewal since my permit expires at the end of November.  Checked my info that popped up (couple of boxes had to be filled in such as state even though they had the rest of the address boxes populated), uploaded a copy of my SCDL and that was it.  There wasn't anything about payment, getting fingerprinted again, etc.

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#20]
New resident/permit

8/30 - prints taken @ Greenville Identogo
9/16 - permit issue date
9/27 - permit received
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just completed the online renewal since my permit expires at the end of November.  Checked my info that popped up (couple of boxes had to be filled in such as state even though they had the rest of the address boxes populated), uploaded a copy of my SCDL and that was it.  There wasn't anything about payment, getting fingerprinted again, etc.

View Quote

pm sent
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:58:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Anybody who's renewed recently remember how to upload your DL?  It won't let me back in so I can figure out exactly where it is on the form but as I recall, there's a box that you click on that lets you upload a file from your computer.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#23]
I didn't have a picture of my DL either. I lost the page and ended up doing the form again after making the picture.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Always a good goof on the renewal process. I managed to erase the .pdf file that certifies that you have filed the renewal with SLED.

Wonderful, looks like a couple weeks with no carry.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Always a good goof on the renewal process. I managed to erase the .pdf file that certifies that you have filed the renewal with SLED.

Wonderful, looks like a couple weeks with no carry.
View Quote

Are you sure it's not in your delete folder?  I would either contact them or just not worry about it- during the coof stuff they admitted the were behind and told folks they could continue to carry.  They may have retracted it, but I haven't seen where they have.  If you do get stopped it's easy enough to tell the cop that you're still waiting on SLED and they can call SLED and ask.  

IANAL, this is not legal advice and I'm probably wrong, but I have a hard time caring anymore when the government can't seem to hire qualified people and get their act together.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 7:26:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I do a full reset on my tablet every so often when it slows down. Normally I don't keep anything important on it. Except yesterday.

Agree on the .gov hires.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#27]
My wife filed the same day I did.  She got a letter back Friday asking for her checklist and DD214.  This was done through IdentoGo also.  Took three weeks for them to ask for those docs. I emailed PDFs of them so hopefully it will go faster.

Given I filed the same day with the same lady at the same office, I'm guessing I'm going to end up with the same letter asking for more paperwork for me.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
New resident/permit

8/30 - prints taken @ Greenville Identogo
9/16 - permit issue date
9/27 - permit received
View Quote

Mine kinda tracked like this.

9/8 - IdentoGo
9/26 - Issued -18 days
10/14 - Received - 19 days

Link Posted: 11/3/2022 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Called SLED today and was told my renewal was in process. Unfortunately, the young lady said it could take a full ninety days as they were backed up. That would be another 6 weeks. Well darn!
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 2:25:58 PM EDT
[#30]
A month later and we will haven't heard anything back on Mrs T's permit. :\

I'm guessing they reset her clock completely with the information request.  The funny thing is, I submitted the same version of DD214 (without the discharge status section on the bottom) and they accepted mine but rejected hers.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#31]
My permit expired on 11/1/22. I had completely forgotten to check the date. I did the IdenToGo on 11/3/22. Got my receipt but they didn’t ask for any money.

BTW, am I screwed on carrying until I get my permit back or am I good with my receipt?  Yea yea, I know, “You were a cop, you should know these things… blah blah blah.”  I haven’t been a cop for almost a year. My old brain doesn’t always remember things. And no, there’s no LEOSA for me because I’m not retired and I no longer have any credentials.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#32]
I've not read the laws personally, but our instructor was clear that no permit, no carry.

You can have it in an enclosed container in your vehicle without the permit, but that is separate from concealed carry. That is your vehicle, not your person.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 2:30:48 PM EDT
[#33]
No fees since they passed the open carry for permit holders law.  

5 years ago when I renewed I was told (by SLED) once you file for renewal you’re gtg if you didn’t let it lapse.
Shitty thing is, they know they are back logged but only allow you to renew no more than 30 days in advance. I did my renewal on 11/1.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 6:04:04 PM EDT
[#34]
I did some searching today on SLED's wonderfully easy to use website (LOL) and can't find written proff of where they said you could continue to carry as long as your application had been submitted before it expired.  I did find something from 2013 (IIRC) that said you could carry in state with an expired permit (as long as you had filed before it expired) but not out of state.  I don't plan to quit carrying anywhere if they don't get my new permit to me by the end of the month, including out of state, but it would be nice to see something in writing.  I know SLED's chief seems to have done his best to stymie the CWP program every chance he's gotten and they were mad about the legislators canceling the fees (and open carry), but they need to get their act together.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 6:13:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Since we aren't going to get constitutional carry anytime soon, what's the deal with requiring 5 year renewals on CCPs? Driver's licenses are on 10 year renewals and that's the picture used. Since SLED can't do a reasonable turnaround with the resources they have, why not 10 year or for that matter, a lifetime permit?
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 10:53:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Since we aren't going to get constitutional carry anytime soon, what's the deal with requiring 5 year renewals on CCPs? Driver's licenses are on 10 year renewals and that's the picture used. Since SLED can't do a reasonable turnaround with the resources they have, why not 10 year or for that matter, a lifetime permit?
View Quote

I guess because I got fatter since my last card was issued and I needed to update my weight?
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#37]
The up to date picture is probably not a real issue. I have shown my CCP twice in 20 years. Both times I was carrying in a vehicle, and got checked at a roadblock by sheriff's deputies. They were like okay move along.

As Obi-Wan noted: I was nowhere close to the Droid they were looking for!
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 7:24:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Permit is here! Took a little more than 6 weeks for the renewal. The included paperwork suggested filling renewals 60 days before expiration.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#39]
New resident permit

9/8/22 everything submitted

still waiting to hear back
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 7:56:25 PM EDT
[#40]
When I was on the phone with SLED last week, they said it could be 90 days. I was expecting my renewal for Christmas based on that.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 6:37:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Still waiting on 8/15 applications
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 2:46:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Got fingerprinted in October. Received CCW license in mail this Monday so about 6 weeks
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 3:07:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Still waiting on 8/15 applications
View Quote

You should call SLED and check the status of your application.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 11:08:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Renewal - 10 weeks with mail in.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 7:26:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 8:26:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Still waiting here too.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 9:27:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Called them Monday and they said everything looked great and they would print it same day and get it Sent right out.... it's like they were waiting for my call

Link Posted: 11/23/2022 9:40:45 AM EDT
[#48]
We've still heard nothing back on Mrs T's permit.  Last correspondence was the 2nd of October when I sent the newest supporting documents.  I have a feeling it will get here right around the Christmas/New Year's break. :\
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 7:39:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Still waiting here

Update called SLED 12/9/22 application lost.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 8:16:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Still waiting

Arrived today 3.5 months.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top