Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2018 11:29:07 AM EDT
Heading to Jackson on March 6. I know your winter has been like ours and was wondering what the hiking conditions are like. We were hoping to snowshoe Arethusa and a few falls on the Kanc, but around here it is mostly ice and not snow.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 1:28:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 7:09:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, Mark. Sounds a little better than around here, but not much.

Probably going to have to pack the snowshoes and crampons to get up to the falls.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 10:18:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I was in the Crawford Notch area last weekend and did a couple of hikes.  It was mostly a mix of mud and ice. Crampons are a must, snow shoes would be really good to have.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 4:21:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was in the Crawford Notch area last weekend and did a couple of hikes.  It was mostly a mix of mud and ice. Crampons are a must, snow shoes would be really good to have.
View Quote
Gob, are you talking real, $200 climbing crampons? I just went out on the trails at my place and even the good (full foot studs) slip ons didn't cut it. I put on the microspikes and they were better, but I only have rolling terrain on my property, I'm not sure they would have cut it for steep inclines. For some reason, the hips and knees don't care for real crampons, but I guess I might just have to suck it up.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 8:23:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I use these.   They work fine for me. If these won’t cut it I turn back!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 11:06:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I use these.   They work fine for me. If these won’t cut it I turn back!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/19382/68DCD492-ADA0-4695-8325-D380BD8E2F13-464476.JPG
View Quote
Ok, good. I hate using the big ones. Thanks very much for the info.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 10:13:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Got there Tuesday morning the 6th. Beautiful day for a hike. Mid thirties. Made it almost all the way without spikes (no need for snowshoes at all), but had to spike up for the last downhill and the falls.  Hiked Tin Mountain and the mine on Wednesday before the storm. I'm from northern Maine, so the storm wasn't anything out of the ordinary and kinda fizzled anyways, but I will say that you folks know how to take care of your roads. The hot tub on our balcony at The Wentworth was awesome after a nice winter hike.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice. Was anyone climbing any of the ice? I've done that loop like 3 times in the winter now, and every time someone has been climbing the waterfall you posted a pic of.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 2:37:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nice. Was anyone climbing any of the ice? I've done that loop like 3 times in the winter now, and every time someone has been climbing the waterfall you posted a pic of.
View Quote
Nobody climbing that day. I think the ice was getting a bit squirrely in places.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top