Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2023 10:27:56 PM EDT
Idiot Cuomo’s rip and replace of 27 thruway rest stops has yielded five.  Now the Irish builder wants $260million more in taxpayer money.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/news/2023/04/companies-rebuilding-thruway-rest-stops-seek-taxpayer-bailout-reports.html
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 9:17:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Back when I was traveling back and forth to Toronto and Long Island to visit family, I would stop at most all of the stops between Weedsport and Williamsville, and later just from Batavia to Williamsville, as well as the two in Sloatsburg/Ramapo. They were all pretty decent and I never had an issue with them. What really bugged me was when all the well known franchises (Burger King, McDonalds, Starbucks, Dunkin) were kicked out and obscure oddball restaurants replaced them. At that point I just stopped to use the restrooms and usually went to Dunkin in Batavia. Returning back from Toronto, Pembroke was usually my first rest stop and that place seemed to die when the firms that had been there for ages were gone. I did like the fact they had a USPS mailbox out in front as I sometimes brought mail back from Canada for friends that was destined for the U.S. The letters got to their recipients faster and cheaper if mailed in the U.S.

Reading the article I see all the politicians are voicing opposition to providing any taxpayer money. That tells me that behind the scenes there is a deal being worked out and taxpayer money will be turned over. If I had to guess, there will probably be some kind of arrangement where the state will get some percentage of the sales or maybe they will shave the term of the leases from 33 to 15 or so years (cutting by more than half would seem fair since they are asking for about 57% more over the original $450 million). Or they will just hand them $260 million and tell them to have a nice day
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 11:44:09 PM EDT
[#2]
They knocked the one down in Yonkers which was a really nice looking building and it appears the new structure is not much larger but I could be wrong.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top