Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2023 6:35:32 PM EDT
After a year-long survey of residents, a search for "the soul of Crested Butte" has led this end-of-the-road mountain town to be the first municipality in Colorado to become all-electric.

"This is buying into our community values," Crested Butte Town Manager Dara MacDonald said. "I mean you are coming here for here, right? Well this is what 'here' is. I think as mountain towns, we have not held to our principles quite strongly enough in some cases. This is holding to our values."

Crested Butte joins Aspen with an overhaul of building codes focused on reducing the busy mountain towns' contributions to a changing climate. With mandates to turn away from burning fossil fuels in homes, the mountain communities are pushing beyond what is required and hoping to become models for how larger cities can transform residential impacts on climate change.

moar
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Mmmmm Secret Stash pizza and Camp 4 coffee
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:28:28 PM EDT
[#2]
What's a skiing vacation without a fireplace or wood stove?  It gets mighty cold up there.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 11:44:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm willing to bet that most property in those towns are owned by people out of state or LLCs
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 10:39:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Just making a bigger impact on the climate by making themselves reliant on fires burning far away.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 11:07:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Won't make a bit of fucking difference in terms of "climate change."

Virtue signaling at its finest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top