BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GreenmtnDigger:
according to Gun owners of Vermont Big rally at the State House tomorrow. Some reps will be there and a bunch of off duty police
View Quote
What time will it take place?
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 6:54:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By 03Springfield:

What time will it take place?  
View Quote
That was this morning.  Once everyone pro gun was there they decided to debate the bill in the afternoon instead.
I posted a bunch of updates on the new amendments on page 10 of the GD thread.  I’ll post them here in a bit unless someone wants to do it for me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 6:57:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Also, Phil Scott finally made a statement and he’s all in for the mag ban as long as it doesn’t hurt VT manufacturers.  An amendment passed today that allows VT manufacturers to keep making mags as long as they’re not sold to VT residents so we’re fucked there.
 Our only hope is the senate.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 8:22:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Bill Passed 89-54.

One Rep said:
"This is democracy at its finest."

"Those who oppose common sense gun laws are on the wrong side of history".

"Those who attempt to buy guns online are more than six times more likely to fail a background check".

"Thousands of students have come to us, and asked us to do this."

"Just one part of this bill would have prevented the Fair Haven shooter from buying a gun". This is the kid that was arrested and his attack was prevented.

"There are limits on our rights in order to protect people.  You can't yell fire in a crowded theater."

"If it stops just one act of gun violence then it's worth it."
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 9:22:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow, this is beyond fucking awful.  Fuck traitor gov.

So when does it get voted on in the senate?  How long do we have to pressure the senate to vote this thing down?
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 9:33:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Potss:
Wow, this is beyond fucking awful.  Fuck traitor gov.

So when does it get voted on in the senate?  How long do we have to pressure the senate to vote this thing down?
View Quote
I think it could be as soon as tomorrow.  I won't be surprised if it's all said and done this week.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 10:55:51 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have the time send a message to the VTGOP and ask them why they are turning their backs to us.

http://www.vtgop.org/contact_us

https://www.facebook.com/vtgop/
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 5:57:44 AM EDT
[#8]
What all are they banning / restricting? 12-15 hour workdays don't leave me much time for research.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 6:10:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ShovelMonkey:
If you have the time send a message to the VTGOP and ask them why they are turning their backs to us.

http://www.vtgop.org/contact_us

https://www.facebook.com/vtgop/
View Quote
Thanks for contacts. I'll be on that in a little bit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 6:20:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 6:24:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dalle0001] [#11]
Another state falls. Sorry to hear about it VT. You guys fell harder than FL did and you didn't even do antying. I think the rest of the country will soon follow and not a damn thing we can do about it.

The only "good news" is that you guys get to keep the magazines you currently have but who knows what the future will hold.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 7:34:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Diet_Coke] [#12]
Originally Posted By dalle0001:

The only "good news" is that you guys get to keep the magazines you currently have but who knows what the future will hold.
View Quote
Once November rolls around we'll have a pretty good idea of what the future will hold.  If we don't clean house in the election they will be emboldened and I won't be surprised if things go way south.
Every single person involved in this shitshow is up for reelection this year.  30 Senators, 150 Reps, and the Governor and Lieutenant Governor.

S.55 is on the schedule for tomorrow in the senate.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 9:52:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Wife and I were talking and we thought of an excellent point that we haven't seen addressed by the antis. If they want to regulate and do away with firearms, then what weaponry do they support? Is this leading toward more "less lethal" systems such as Tasers and OC/chemical sprays? Or ultrasonics, optical disturbance measures, lasers, etc? Or even worse, like mind control via RF? Any of which could become a race for more powerful versions of known technology, probably with increased effects both long- and short-term.

I've spent my entire life in law enforcement, first as an Army MP, then city PD, then state police, and finally federal for over ten years now. I can only think of all sorts of negative consequences if the shitstorm we are experiencing continues. I can't imagine all of the fallout that will come with any sort of draconian restrictions on firearms or magazines. Wait until a politician's family or wife is in danger and can't be saved because that politician chose to disarm the state while the criminals laughed and continued to disregard the law. It won't be a matter of if, rather a matter of when.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 4:03:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Let the Governor hear from you ASAP!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll call the traitor-in-chief again. Fucker...
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 8:48:53 AM EDT
[#17]
So can somebody answer me this:

Let's say someone from NY moved their mags to VT in the wake of the SAFE Act---maybe hoping the law might change someday, or maybe they might end up moving to a free state someday---and now, these mags up in VT are instantly contraband? . . .

The new law doesn't even give one the time to either move them or sell them out of state?

In the above sceanario, would the "grandfather" clause apply, even if the owner of the mags doesn't live in VT?

Does the new VT law, in mentioning that mags issued to or manufactured for US .gov mean USGI mags are exempt?

What about (pre-ban)steel UK mags? . . .
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 12:15:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By FudgieGhost1:
So can somebody answer me this:

Let's say someone from NY moved their mags to VT in the wake of the SAFE Act---maybe hoping the law might change someday, or maybe they might end up moving to a free state someday---and now, these mags up in VT are instantly contraband? . . .

The new law doesn't even give one the time to either move them or sell them out of state?

In the above sceanario, would the "grandfather" clause apply, even if the owner of the mags doesn't live in VT?

Does the new VT law, in mentioning that mags issued to or manufactured for US .gov mean USGI mags are exempt?

What about (pre-ban)steel UK mags? . . .
View Quote
We should really get one of the ARFCOM legal experts to break down this bill and spell it out for us.  I am not a good person to do that.
Long story short, it doesn't really say if your proposed situation is for sure legal or not.

(a) A person shall not manufacture, possess, transfer, offer for sale, purchase, or receive, or import into this State a large capacity ammunition feeding device. As used in this subsection, “import” shall not include the transportation back into this State of a large capacity ammunition feeding device by the same person who transported the device out of State if the person possessed the device  on or before the effective date of this act.

(c)(1) The prohibition on possession of large capacity ammunition feeding devices established by subsection (a) of this section shall not apply to a large capacity ammunition feeding device lawfully possessed on or before the effective date of this act.

The proposed person definitely is not importing since the mags are here already.  Not manufacturing, transferring, selling, or buying either if they already own them.  Would it be receiving?  Not sure.
I guess the answer (if it exists) depends on their definition of "receiving" and "possessed".

The way I read the law surplus USGI mags are technically legal for post ban purchase as they definitely were "manufactured for the United States".  That is definitely not the intent of the bill and would be a fun one to argue in court.  Buying high cap mags manufactured for a different country after the bill is signed will not be legal as this section only applies to the United States, departments or agencies of the US, or anything similar on the state level.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 1:23:14 PM EDT
[#19]
What is the penalty? Felony or misdemeanor? If it's a misdemeanor, then the law has no teeth and people will just ignored it like Colorado.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By getchevyn:
What is the penalty? Felony or misdemeanor? If it's a misdemeanor, then the law has no teeth and people will just ignored it like Colorado.
View Quote
I’ll have to check the bill again but for mags I think it’s up to a year in jail and up to a $500 fine.
Bump stock was up to a $1000 fine and year in jail.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 10:59:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Do we know when the bill goes to Governor Scott for signature?

Do we have time remaining to transfer mags by shipping?
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 8:43:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By 03Springfield:
Do we know when the bill goes to Governor Scott for signature?

Do we have time remaining to transfer mags by shipping?
View Quote
I haven’t seen anything yet to indicate when he’ll sign it but I’d guess pretty quick.  He wants this done.
If I needed mags I’d place an order with someone that ships quick and not worry about it...
If he signs it and they decline to ship I still wouldn’t be worried...
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 1:13:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Lots of perfectly good mags on the EE...
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Damn Shame you guys couldn't stop this.  I used to feel VT was the last free state in New England.  This was one of the biggest reasons I left CT a few years back and move to South Carolina.  CT had very little conformity to the mag registration and ban.

Don't give up!  Do your best to vote out the vermin and make your state conservative!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top