Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2019 5:05:12 PM EDT
Username?  

http://www.startribune.com/in-twin-cities-turf-war-residents-scramble-to-adapt-to-new-coyote-neighbors/504920012/#13

At the West Metro Coyote Tournament in Watertown last weekend, organizers said they strive to run an ethical event.
The contest is “calling only,” meaning participants use sounds mimicking other coyotes or prey to get the predators to approach.
Organizers prohibit participants from trapping coyotes or chasing them down with snowmobiles or dogs.
Teams can shoot seven coyotes, tops, and typically sell the fur to a buyer at weigh-in time.
Last year’s winners shot three; this year’s winner, five. Many come back empty-handed.
“They are the most humbling animal to hunt,” said Todd Stein, 39, of Waverly, one of the event organizers.
View Quote
I don't think anyone has introduced a bill to legalize night vision or thermal for coyote hunting this session but I'd encourage everyone to remind their legislators of the need, especially with this article popping up in the strib. A bill that went nowhere was introduced last year.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 10:30:37 AM EDT
[#1]
A buddy of mine got a 30 pound yote in the event.
It's pretty well organized.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I hear them out in the back 40 at night lots of times.  Keep thinking I should go buy a $100 call, a decoy, and go sit out there at night at see what comes out.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 8:16:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hear them out in the back 40 at night lots of times.  Keep thinking I should go buy a $100 call, a decoy, and go sit out there at night at see what comes out.
View Quote
Tonight would probably be great -- some moon, lots of snow. Bundle up.
I've got a video from one of my game cameras of a coyote out in the last snowstorm on the 28th looking for a snack.
ETA: The video is better but you get the idea.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Would love to use my thermal to hunt in this state. Do you need a license for yote hunting? Never looked into it before.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 11:51:19 AM EDT
[#5]
You don’t need a license and there is not a season.  Unfortunately night vision and thermal scopes are not allowed.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 12:53:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty sure you would need a small game license.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Pretty sure you would need a small game license.
View Quote
No.
https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/regulations/hunting/index.html
Coyotes are unprotected.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 5:32:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You don’t need a license and there is not a season.  Unfortunately night vision and thermal scopes are not allowed.
View Quote
Bumping this thread in case NV/thermal become legal this year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top