Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2018 9:02:14 PM EDT
Over the years, I must have been asked a dozen times, "Can a Extension office ban guns?" I aways replied something like, "Ah, I don't know. Aren't they part of the University of Ky. and if they are they probably can." I never thought much about it and never investigated. I had other things to do. A few days ago I was able to get this picture from the Bath Co. Extension Office.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4p0eiti2ycm2xg8/Screenshot%202018-10-09%20at%2001.56.42.png?dl=0

I started looking around and found KRS 164.605 thru 164.675, where it says:

There is hereby authorized for each county an extension district whose boundaries shall
be coexistent with the county boundaries. Such districts may be created by the fiscal court
of the county. Each extension district shall constitute a governmental subdivision of the
Commonwealth and a public body corporate.

Did you see that?
Such districts may be created by the fiscal court

KRS 164.655 says:

The extension board of each extension district shall have the following powers and
duties:
(4) With the advice of the extension council, to make and adopt such rules and
regulations not inconsistent with the law
as it may deem necessary for its own
government in the transaction of the business of the extension district;
of the county.

Hell these things are nothing more that "Special Districts". On Monday I got my 2018 property tax bill from the county, and sure enough,
in the list of all the taxes for the library, the landfill, the schools, the health dept etc. was "Extension Office". ALL of this means that these are 120 public offices governed by 120 public boards and they all are subject to KRS 65.870 and can't have any rules, policies or rules about guns. What about UK you ask. , KRS 164.610 defines the "Purpose" of the Extension Offices like this:
In enacting KRS 164.605 to 164.675, it is the intention of the General Assembly to
provide for aid in disseminating among the people of Kentucky useful and practical
information on subjects relating to agriculture, home economics, and rural and
community life and to encourage the application of the same in the several counties of the
Commonwealth through extension work to be carried on in cooperation with the
University of Kentucky College of Agriculture and Home Economics,
and the United
States Department of Agriculture as provided in the Act of Congress May 8, 1914, as
amended by Public Law 83 of the 83rd Congress.

So you see, the Extension service only "cooperates" with UK.

I have come to understand that there is a "Memorandum of Understanding" between each separate county extension office and UK that the offices will enforce the University's gun ban on the extension premises. Before 2013 that might have been OK, but when KRS 65.870 passed that became illegal. The university can't order the county extension offices to violate the law; and if they did order it, the offices cannot comply.

The bottom line is the 120 county extension offices can't regulate guns. It appears that UK knows that and is not pushing the gun ban, so some offices don't have a gun ban, about half of them. Other offices still have the signs up and they don't know that they can't regulate guns and don't know that UK is no longer pushing for them to ban guns. Bath Co. knows, because I've told them. They looked into it and found out that I was right and at their next meeting they will vote to rescind the gun ban and take down the signs. THat is good but not good enough. I want all 120 county offices to take down the signs, but I don't want to drive across the state to find out which ones have signs and which ones don't. So, I am asking each of you to take a look at your County Extension Service Office and to see if they have a "No Guns" sign and let me know if they do or don't.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 7:48:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 11:57:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll look to see what's up in Scott County. Thanks for the information, softpoint.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Headed to Clark Co. now will update later today.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 6:07:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I service equipment in the central, eastern and southern offices. Will keep an eye out the next time I'm scheduled to do PMs.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Clark Co. office has no signs nor does city hall.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:43:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll check the Christian County location as soon as I can.
View Quote
I'm originally from Christian Co. Go Colonels!! Class of '77!
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:18:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Clark Co. office has no signs nor does city hall.
View Quote
I am pretty familiar with Winchester and Clark Co. KC3 had to sue them over a "No Guns In the Parks" ordinance and signs. They were very stubborn at first but once we filed the suit they fixed everything and took the signs down. They had to pay all our expenses. Thank you Clark Co. taxpayers.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 12:36:40 PM EDT
[#8]
The Scott County office in Georgetown is fine. No signs.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I spoke with the chairman of the board of the Bath Co. extension office today. At a meeting last week, the board members voted to rescind the "No Guns" policy and remove all signs restricting guns from the property. The Bath Co. extension office now has no policy on the possession of firearms and ammunition on any property controlled by the board. I am trying to get a picture of the front of the building showing the empty space where the sign used to be.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Would the Commissioner of Agriculture Ryan Quarles have any influence/oversight on this issue?  Obviously it is ag related but I don't know that he gets to direct how the extension offices operate.  I run into him every so often at local political events.  I could make him aware of it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 10:51:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Knox, Garrard & Lincoln counties do not have signs. Still keeping an eye out on others when I get to them.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:46:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks. Every one helps.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#14]
You can see a new photo of the front of the Bath Co. Extension Office at the link below. Notice the "No Guns" signs are gone. https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6vcib6i6d3cvln/i0000010.jpg?dl=0
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Went by the Fayette Co office today just for giggles. Imagine my surprise when I saw they had "Concealed Weapons Prohibited" on the front entrance.

I took a picture but don't have it hosted anywhere.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 6:29:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Went by the Fayette Co office today just for giggles. Imagine my surprise when I saw they had "Concealed Weapons Prohibited" on the front entrance.

I took a picture but don't have it hosted anywhere.
View Quote
I have heard about this before and need to look into it more. I have heard that the building is leased to the Extention Board by UK but have not confirmed that. If that is true, then a gun ban can be legal, due to it being UK owned property. I seems strange that the sign would limit the ban to "concealed" weapons, but often these places don't know there two ways to carry a gun. This sounds more like a city/county sign. I wonder if the lessor could be LFCUG. Kind busy in Frankfort right now, but I'll get to it eventually unless somebody else wants the job. All you have to do is stop by the County Clerks office and pull the deed or go by the PVA office and look up the tax records on the property. All you need is the address,1140 Harry Sykes Way, Lexington, KY 40504.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 9:09:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quick search on Fayette PVA web page shows FAYETTE CO EXTENSION DIST BOARD  as owner bought from LFUCG.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 11:47:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks, that  makes things easier.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 1:39:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Not a leased building. Not a city/county building. No gun ban of any kind is allowed per KRS 65.870. Now I just have to get names and contact info for the board members. I took me over a month to get that info about the Bath Co. office.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top