Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2022 10:07:09 AM EDT
CGS 53a-109(a)(1) states: Such person enters or remains in premises which are posted in a manner prescribed by law or reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders...

Q1: Does CT have a specific set of guidelines which detail how to post, that would fit the statement "are posted in a manner prescribed by law"?

Q2: Does the part after "or" "reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders" mean anything not specific to Q1, but generally accepted and (obviously) conspicuously posted? Like how purple paint is a lawful "signage" in a lot of states?
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 5:00:06 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a 2002 OLR doc on trespassers, invitees and licensees on private property:
https://www.cga.ct.gov/2002/rpt/2002-R-0365.htm

Sec. 53a-109 is "Criminal trespass in the third degree" statute. Note the following statute: Sec. 53a-110. Affirmative defenses to criminal trespass.

There is also a simple trespass statute: Sec. 53a-110a. Simple trespass: Infraction.

Don't see any specific language in a quick search that lays out what specific signage one is mandated to use to prevent/notify trespassers.

Also see the criminal jury instructions for 53a-109: https://www.jud.ct.gov/JI/criminal/Criminal.pdf#page=992
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 8:16:32 AM EDT
[#2]
@sbhaven
Yeah, I read all those before posting (all but the criminal jury pdf)
I was really after this one
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Don't see any specific language in a quick search that lays out what specific signage one is mandated to use to prevent/notify trespassers.
View Quote

I'm guessing that, if you or anyone else isn't aware, we don't have specifics.

I'll proceed w/ what I find to be an average of other state laws (especially this area) so it would be "commonly accepted".
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@sbhaven
Yeah, I read all those before posting (all but the criminal jury pdf)
I was really after this one

I'm guessing that, if you or anyone else isn't aware, we don't have specifics.

I'll proceed w/ what I find to be an average of other state laws (especially this area) so it would be "commonly accepted".
View Quote

I'd assume so long as you put up copious Private Property / No Trespassing signs at the perimeter of the property and on the building (entrances) that should suffice for legal notice.

Example signage: https://www.homedepot.com/s/no%2520trespassing%2520sign?NCNI-5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top