Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2020 4:54:43 PM EDT
ASU student just tested positive. I honestly didn’t think it would get here that fast. Guess we’ll see how contagious it is over the next couple weeks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 4:57:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
ASU student just tested positive. I honestly didn’t think it would get here that fast. Guess we’ll see how contagious it is over the next couple weeks.
View Quote
Universities are a hot bed for foreign bugs due to all the international students.. it makes sense too since the semester just started so people are coming back from where they live...in and out of the country.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Universities are a hot bed for foreign bugs due to all the international students.. it makes sense too since the semester just started so people are coming back from where they live...in and out of the country.
View Quote
Exactly what happened -- he flew in from Wuhan.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:28:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I drive a shuttle bus for...ASU students! Lots of Chinese ride the Gold line from Tempe to East campus. I guess I'll be going to work in MOPP 4 tomorrow afternoon. Nice knowing you all...
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:11:56 AM EDT
[#4]
The hospital released the person before they had any results and they told him to go home somewhere in Tempe, but they won't say. This doesn't give me any more confidence on how these idiots are handling things. So who knows how many people he contacted going back to an apartment filled with people, let alone the plane he was on. The scary part is that someone can be contagious for 15 days or better before even showing any symptoms.

I work in public sector and it really pisses me off when people go out in public when they are sick. They also cough up a lung around people and don't even try to cover up or be careful with what they touch.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:22:51 PM EDT
[#5]
News said the infected person was a member of the "Arizona State University community" and does not live in university housing. What does that mean?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:32:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Hope they get it figured out and the sooner the better.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
News said the infected person was a member of the "Arizona State University community" and does not live in university housing. What does that mean?
View Quote
He's a student, professor (or in-between like a masters or PhD student) or employee and he lives off campus.

They have to be pretty vague due to HIPAA.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 3:14:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

He's a student, professor (or in-between like a masters or PhD student) or employee and he lives off campus.

They have to be pretty vague due to HIPAA.
View Quote
I am hoping they are successful in figuring out who he has come in contact with and getting them notified and out of the public.  My wife works in the Student Services Building which houses Admissions, Registrars, International student services, Dean of Students office and more... so they get LOTS of campus traffic, especially the first few weeks of class.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 5:16:16 AM EDT
[#9]
There's a rumor he's a PhD candidate who doesn't spend much time on campus, but since he's obviously an international student it's probably safe to assume he's been to the International Student office a time or two.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 6:00:19 AM EDT
[#10]
This is what Orange County CA released today to County Employees.  I suspect your involved bureaucracies are dealing with the same challenges.  At least ours is is still in the hospital.

My wife is a chilluns librarian.  Needless to say she gets exposed to a lot of stuff from the snotty nosed little knee biters.

The OC Health Care Agency confirmed Orange County, California’s first case of novel coronavirus on January 25, 2020. The man, a traveler from Wuhan, China in his 50s, is currently in isolation at a local hospital and reported in good condition.

We have received many questions from concerned community members over the weekend as to why we have not shared a precise timeline of his movements in OC in the days leading up to his hospitalization, as we normally would with infectious diseases like the measles.

With measles, we share potential exposure sites with the public because we have a detailed understanding of how measles spreads, and how long the virus can live in the air and on surfaces. We also want to promote the message of vaccination as a way to protect yourself.

With novel coronavirus, a new and emerging virus, there is still a lot the public health community is learning.

Right now, novel coronavirus has not been found to be spreading from person to person in the United States, so there are no additional precautions recommended for the general public to take. Our residents should go about their daily lives with no changes to planned activities.

If that changes, you will be hearing from us.

Another reason we haven’t shared more is because we are required to protect patient privacy under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, or HIPPA. Because there is only one case in OC, any information we share outside of his gender and general age range could reveal his identity (which we have a duty to protect).

So what can you do? The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, which includes regular handwashing and covering coughs and sneezes. You can also visit www.ochealthinfo.com/novelcoronavirus for more detailed preventative actions.

Our Public Health Services and doctors from the CDC who are here assisting with our investigation continue to follow-up directly with all individuals who have had close contact with the case and are at risk of infection.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:11:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Just waiting for one visitor to bring in a snot nosed kid to infect the entire prison system...disease inside the wire is magnified 100% due to the close contact everyone has with each other. Bug just gets handed around and around and around.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 5:23:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Today when I was handing off at shift change (ASU shuttle bus driver) the bus driver who I relieved told me that a student wearing a mask passed out when getting off of the bus, was bleeding from the mouth and had to be taken away in an ambulance due to respiratory distress. No idea if the blood supposedly came from a respiratory issue or from the supposed fall. No idea if it even happened at all since I wasn't there, but I did ask around and got the same story from a few different drivers. I was surprised it didn't make the news.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Today when I was handing off at shift change (ASU shuttle bus driver) the bus driver who I relieved told me that a student wearing a mask passed out when getting off of the bus, was bleeding from the mouth and had to be taken away in an ambulance due to respiratory distress. No idea if the blood supposedly came from a respiratory issue or from the supposed fall. No idea if it even happened at all since I wasn't there, but I did ask around and got the same story from a few different drivers. I was surprised it didn't make the news.
View Quote
I didn't know Raccoon City was beneath Tempe. Cool!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top