Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2020 4:10:49 PM EDT
Wife's employer closed up shop temporarily, will be a few weeks minimum.  I understand the waiting period for unemployment is waved.  Does she have too burn up all her accrued sick and vacation time before applying?

Also, she works a part time overnight sleep position at a different employer in addition to her full time day job.  Will those wages disqualify her from any benefits for her primary job?

Never dealt with this stuff before.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 12:27:41 AM EDT
[#1]
normally you get unemployment if you are fired/laid off, IE not quit.  Yes you'd would have to burn any accused time and sever from employment to get unemployment.  Not sure if any type of stimulus or govt intervention would change that.  Not sure that it should.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#2]
The only time I looked into it I was a part time student at night which disqualified me for any unemployment even though I was a full time worker.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 6:45:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:Not sure that it should.
View Quote
So my wifes employer can say that you are still employed, you just won't be working until we decide, which is undetermined.  They are not offering no-pay, they are automatically using sick time first, then vacation.  So when business resumes she will have no PTO instead of her 80 hrs of sick and 100 hours of vacation she has saved to plan time off.

I suppose she should quit and get a job at some other closed business?  No looking for a handout, just trying to not get screwed.  We're not hurting for income, just pissed off.

She has always worked 2 jobs and I have always worked 50 to 70 hours a week.  We save time and don't use sick time as it accrues, we save it for when we're sick.  Once again punished for doing the right thing.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 7:34:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So my wifes employer can say that you are still employed, you just won't be working until we decide, which is undetermined.  They are not offering no-pay, they are automatically using sick time first, then vacation.  So when business resumes she will have no PTO instead of her 80 hrs of sick and 100 hours of vacation she has saved to plan time off.

I suppose she should quit and get a job at some other closed business?  No looking for a handout, just trying to not get screwed.  We're not hurting for income, just pissed off.

She has always worked 2 jobs and I have always worked 50 to 70 hours a week.  We save time and don't use sick time as it accrues, we save it for when we're sick.  Once again punished for doing the right thing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Not sure that it should.

A lot of people are getting screwed hard. These are unprecedented times we're going through. If I remember correctly from the Governor's last press conference, they were encouraging everyone whose employment has been directly affected to apply: https://www.uimn.org/applicants/index.jsp
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 8:19:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah she's going to look a at it, just curious if it was worth it or if she'd just get declined.

Thanks for the info all, not trying too be snarky, things are a little tense here.  On top of the uncertainty about stuff right now, the wife is in a lot of pain and having an emergency root canal tomorrow for a filling that didn't go well a week ago.  Infection due to nerve exposed during procedure.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#6]
If your employer said no work due to the virus, file. You mark the reason as the virus. It asks specific questions as to returning and who told you no work due to the virus. Am a school van driver and am on hold until further notice. Do it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 10:12:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Will do, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 3:25:58 PM EDT
[#8]
There's enough going on without being inflammatory towards another member who's asking for advice and help.  If you'd like to continue acting that way, you're welcome to see if the SD HTF is any more accommodating, but that's enough of it here.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 10:27:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Edited.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top