Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2019 3:27:15 PM EDT
Coos Bay and North Bend have been trying to pass new gas taxes to repair the roads (I wonder if PERS has something to do with it ).

They keep failing.

Coos Bay added a $10/month "Transportation fee" to water bills to fix the roads. From what I understand, North Bend has a $30/month "Public Safety Fee" to pay for cops.

Several people in town have told me this is illegal, but can anybody cite a law that makes it illegal for the councils to add a fee to water bills in lieu of legitimate tax increase?
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Coos Bay and North Bend have been trying to pass new gas taxes to repair the roads (I wonder if PERS has something to do with it ).

They keep failing.

Coos Bay added a $10/month "Transportation fee" to water bills to fix the roads. From what I understand, North Bend has a $30/month "Public Safety Fee" to pay for cops.

Several people in town have told me this is illegal, but can anybody cite a law that makes it illegal for the councils to add a fee to water bills in lieu of legitimate tax increase?
View Quote
Newberg has done the same thing.  Stormwater $11.23 (even though the nearest storm water drain to me is over a mile away) Public safety fee $3.00, Communications Officer fee $2.13, and Transportation Utility Fee $4.99.  Along with higher property taxes than Los Angeles, CA and Sewer charge of $26.16 + $8.65/cubic foot of the winter average of your water usage.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Newberg has done the same thing.  Stormwater $11.23 (even though the nearest storm water drain to me is over a mile away) Public safety fee $3.00, Communications Officer fee $2.13, and Transportation Utility Fee $4.99.  Along with higher property taxes than Los Angeles, CA and Sewer charge of $26.16 + $8.65/cubic foot of the winter average of your water usage.
View Quote
Any idea if this is legal? If it's not, I will bring it to my city councilors and possibly seek a lawyer. I find this to be a huge pile of BS. The public said, emphatically, NO to them taking more of our money, and they do an end-run around the will of the people with this nonsense.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Send an itemized list of what you are paying.

Tell them, like Popeye (1980 movie) that if they charge what they feel like charging then you pays what you feels like paying.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 2:55:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Send an itemized list of what you are paying.

Tell them, like Popeye (1980 movie) that if they charge what they feel like charging then you pays what you feels like paying.
View Quote
A member of the community has tried this. They eventually shut his water off.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 12:27:36 PM EDT
[#5]
It won't stop until/unless a court tells them to stop.

A law suit will need to be initiated that shows the court how the agencies are instituting "fees" after tax levies failed.  They can show the court that the fees are a not very cleverly disguised way to collect money that voters refused.

or, voters could use the initiative petition to have a law passed that says no agency may institute new taxes FEES, SURCHARGES, or any other increase in money collected from customers without an approving vote from the voters, and that all fees, surcharges etc prior to XXX(insert date here) will be rolled back and cancelled.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 1:08:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Same shit in Corvallis.
Fees in place of taxes.
Hmmm, I've I never use the service and I'm charged for it.
It's a fucking tax.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 8:49:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They keep failing.

View Quote
I just moved out of Coos county. I lived in north bend and it started at $5 and kept going up i believe it was at $30 when I left. Last I heard someone was paying the water bill minus the public safety fee and they eventually shut off his water.  Last I heard he is taking it to court.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top