Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2021 9:22:54 AM EDT
Contemplating a move to AZ in the future and going back and forth over buying an existing home or buying a piece of land and building.
Most of the homes that have some of the things we are looking for are too large. I would rather have some space for a small pole building and some open area for entertaining.
I don't need 4 bed/3 bath 2000+ sq ft in retirement. Anything rural in AZ with property is either a too Lg house or a ramshackle shack or dbl wide.
I know some areas have minimum house size restrictions. I just need to be aware of that when looking.
Ideally I think ICF would be an asset in AZ with keeping cooling costs down. Add in some solar and it would be really efficient.

Has anybody done one, would you do it again?
What are some things to look out for, or plan for in advance?
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 9:33:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Really depends on what part you are looking at.  Metro Phoenix, building cost on new build is outrageous, along with buying a home already.

As you start to go out, some land is cheap, some has raised like crazy because it’s an “up and coming” area.

Narrow down a city/area atleast
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#2]
We've been looking at Anthem area or ENE of Scottsdale.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

By saying Anthem, you really are saying New River and N Phx. I do not believe you would find a lot available in Anthem proper to custom build on. The problem with custom building in that area is water. I was looking last April for basically what you are looking for. Since I was already in N Phx, I thought the area to the north would be ideal for me. Just ended up being to much risk.

I found a place in a county island in Litchfield Park. 1 acre, 3 car attached garage and 2 car detached shop. Quiet area, except for the sound of freedom (F-35s at Luke AFB).
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Anthem area, or as Sapper puts it, New River/Desert Hills is definitely doable. Lots of lots available. North Scottsdale is expensive for land, but it gets more expensive as you go north- Carefree. Something along Dynamite and north of the McDowell Mountains shouldn't be too bad, depending on the specific locale.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 8:42:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Have you looked in Rio Verde ?
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the responses.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 8:58:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

By saying Anthem, you really are saying New River and N Phx. I do not believe you would find a lot available in Anthem proper to custom build on. The problem with custom building in that area is water. I was looking last April for basically what you are looking for. Since I was already in N Phx, I thought the area to the north would be ideal for me. Just ended up being to much risk.

I found a place in a county island in Litchfield Park. 1 acre, 3 car attached garage and 2 car detached shop. Quiet area, except for the sound of freedom (F-35s at Luke AFB).
View Quote
Are you in Litchfield Farms?
If so, hey neighbor
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#8]
From what I've researched, Cochise County has very flexible building codes, especially when it comes to alternative construction.

Only problem is, it's about 3 hours from where you're looking and 30-45 minutes from the nearest major city.

Definitely worth considering though if you are retired and want to be a little away from all the crazies.

I have a friend that had a custom home with 2 wells in New River and he ended up moving in part due to water.  He moved to Cochise and built a new house.

Material prices are crazy right now.  I have to repair a wall and just spent almost $8 each for 8 foot 2x4's and $38 each for OSB sheets.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 1:43:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Are you in Litchfield Farms?
If so, hey neighbor
View Quote

Litchfield Vista Views. Dysart and Missouri.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 2:52:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Litchfield Vista Views. Dysart and Missouri.
View Quote
I'm 4 miles West of there.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 1:55:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Been reading up on the water issues in the New river area after being mentioned.
May end up looking over in the Rio Verde area.
What is the consensus on availability of water in the Phoenix area long term?
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 10:43:11 PM EDT
[#12]
You don't want to build anything with material prices right now lol!
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Really Bad time to build.

Lumber prices are skyrocketing

Along with all other construction materials

Also everyone is booked out 2-3 months.

Link Posted: 3/25/2021 4:36:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Been reading up on the water issues in the New river area after being mentioned.
May end up looking over in the Rio Verde area.
What is the consensus on availability of water in the Phoenix area long term?
View Quote

It's a problem out in Wickenburg, but Desert Hills, Cave Creek, and North Phoenix are alright. I haven't heard any complaints from New River.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top