Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2021 2:35:30 PM EDT
From GD
https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Alabama-other-states-eye-allowing-concealed-carry-of-guns-without-a-permit/5-2419500/

Does anyone know what bill this is, the article did not say that I saw.  I would like to write my representatives because honestly I think that the permit system goes against the strict scrutiny standards that were voted in a couple of years backs.

If it does not pass I will have to more seriously start considering how much time and money it will to challenge this in court.  Sigh— I just want to be left alone really.

Edit to make the link work
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:51:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:12:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I sure hope this passes. Seems to always die in committee.

From your second link: "2021-02-02SenateRead for the first time and referred to the Senate committee on Judiciary" How is it possible for it to have already been read and sent to committee? It's only Jan 26, 2021. Not Feb 2, 2021.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:18:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I saw that too.  Either it is on the schedule to be introduced or is just an error.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:20:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, I saw that too.  Either it is on the schedule to be introduced or is just an error.
View Quote

Hoping they haven't already decided on what they are going to do with it. Seems this is how it happens every year when they bring this up.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:22:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it best to call or email to voice my support for this?  My senator is on the Judiciary committee.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:16:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Sadly and frustratingly, I don't see that bill going anywhere, again.  Sheriffs love the money they have coming in from pistol permits.  They may cry "safety", but its only because they don't want to admit they don't want to lose a significant funding source.  Until they get weaned off the money that permits bring in, we won't have constitutional carry.

I once wrote to the fella that introduced the constitutional carry bill each year with a suggestion.  My suggestion was to tell the Sheriffs that we agree with you that its about safety.  Therefore, we're lowering the costs of pistol permits to $1 a year statewide, or making them free.  That way, the Sheriffs will eventually get weaned off the money from pistol permits and stop resisting constitutional carry.  FWIW, he never responded.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:26:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have to go after the Chair and Co-Chair of the house Public Safety Committee.

They let it die there each year. It will pass the senate.
View Quote

Are Treadaway and Farley still the chair and co-chair? EVerything I have found was for 2020. Most likely because they haven't started the new session yet?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:48:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:29:35 AM EDT
[#10]
With Utah becoming I think the 18th state for constitutional carry, we are conspicuous among conservative states by our refusal to adopt it.   I wish one of these bills would come up with some money pot for the sheriffs because that is the only thing that has ever held this up in the last few years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top